B6000 4wd and...

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Hi all I'm a newbie here. Just acquired an oldie it seems. Still have to find and verify the actual year from the VIN plate where ever that is. I'm told by my local dealer there's a plate on the frame at the front.
It has a fel and a backhoe. I don't think they're OEM but functional.
I'm not sure how this unit has been handled but the fellow I bought it from didn't appear to know much about the model or the unit but apparently the fellow he got it from has a newer model and from what he said hes more familiar with the B6000 than him.
I was given also a partial jug of Kubota 10W30 synthetic blend, and a small bag attached. The seller said he didn't know what was in the bag but he was given it from the fellow he got it from as well.
It was advertised as having a new main belt, oil change and air filter cleaning as well.
When I got it home, I checked all fluids (as I'm leaning how this beast works) topped up engine oil which was low as well as radiator. I started it and observed the fan not turning and the hydraulic pump pulley not turning. I noticed the main belt appeared to be new. I then went and looked in the bag as to what else was there, and low and behold I found the tensioner and the old belt.
So I proceeded to figure out how it mounted which really wasn't that difficult and put a slight tension of the belt. Then re-started it, now the hydraulic pump was turning and the fan was turning. Who knows how much the guy I bought it from ran it without the tensioner. I don't think it was to much as he only did a little trench work and some landscaping.
In any event I then took it for a toot around my rear yard and back out front. the radiator was nice n warm and the fel didn't have that hissing sound when raising it like it did before.
My questions regarding this model are now with the controls mainly. I think I've figured out the 3pt hitch lever, as it moves the backhoe hydraulic reservoir a bit. There's another lever on the right side just ahead and below the 3pt hitch lever, don't know what it does, then there's the lever on the left which has a N 12 & 3 I think plus the main shift.
Another question regarding the backhoe is the type of fluid used it appears red in the sight glass same color as the fluid in my log splitter. It appears the fel is plumbed into the same reservoir as the backhoe, but has it's own pump mounted on the left side of the engine driven by the main belt. The backhoe on the other hand is driver off the PTO.
It seems to start fairly easily, smokes a bit on startup. Is it wise or not to use the compression release to stop the motr? Some opinions say it's not best yet someone has labeled it as engine stop.
Another question regarding the glow plug controller a sit seems to be called, does it or is it supposed to glow through the hole in the middle shortly after energizing the warm up part of the switch, mine hasn't glowed at all but after about a minute while watchin the glow plugs in the cold i see what looks like heat or slight smoke coming from the top of the connection. I've ordered a new controller anyway.
I also checked the main oil level presumably the transmission and 3pt hitch oil level with the dip stick and it appears low also.
I have downloaded some available service and operator manuals from online but I don't see capacities and specifications of fluids within them.
regarding the backhoe I went to try it out. It appears to have been welded/repaired where the rear pivot point is for the lift arm, I barley touched the ground to rotate the bucket and "clinck" the weld broke. So now i have to either attempt this repair with a piece of 1/8" plate to reinforce the spot.
Another question is what is the number for the headlight bulbs 1156? It sems they're not very bright, can an LED substitute bulb work better?
I guess that's enough questions for now.
I'm still learnin about these creatures.
Lol

Clementine21

Equipment
B2401 with FEL, back blade, back rake, carry all
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
Hi all I'm a newbie here. Just acquired an oldie it seems. Still have to find and verify the actual year from the VIN plate where ever that is. I'm told by my local dealer there's a plate on the frame at the front.
It has a fel and a backhoe. I don't think they're OEM but functional.
I'm not sure how this unit has been handled but the fellow I bought it from didn't appear to know much about the model or the unit but apparently the fellow he got it from has a newer model and from what he said hes more familiar with the B6000 than him.
I was given also a partial jug of Kubota 10W30 synthetic blend, and a small bag attached. The seller said he didn't know what was in the bag but he was given it from the fellow he got it from as well.
It was advertised as having a new main belt, oil change and air filter cleaning as well.
When I got it home, I checked all fluids (as I'm leaning how this beast works) topped up engine oil which was low as well as radiator. I started it and observed the fan not turning and the hydraulic pump pulley not turning. I noticed the main belt appeared to be new. I then went and looked in the bag as to what else was there, and low and behold I found the tensioner and the old belt.
So I proceeded to figure out how it mounted which really wasn't that difficult and put a slight tension of the belt. Then re-started it, now the hydraulic pump was turning and the fan was turning. Who knows how much the guy I bought it from ran it without the tensioner. I don't think it was to much as he only did a little trench work and some landscaping.
In any event I then took it for a toot around my rear yard and back out front. the radiator was nice n warm and the fel didn't have that hissing sound when raising it like it did before.
My questions regarding this model are now with the controls mainly. I think I've figured out the 3pt hitch lever, as it moves the backhoe hydraulic reservoir a bit. There's another lever on the right side just ahead and below the 3pt hitch lever, don't know what it does, then there's the lever on the left which has a N 12 & 3 I think plus the main shift.
Another question regarding the backhoe is the type of fluid used it appears red in the sight glass same color as the fluid in my log splitter. It appears the fel is plumbed into the same reservoir as the backhoe, but has it's own pump mounted on the left side of the engine driven by the main belt. The backhoe on the other hand is driver off the PTO.
It seems to start fairly easily, smokes a bit on startup. Is it wise or not to use the compression release to stop the motr? Some opinions say it's not best yet someone has labeled it as engine stop.
Another question regarding the glow plug controller a sit seems to be called, does it or is it supposed to glow through the hole in the middle shortly after energizing the warm up part of the switch, mine hasn't glowed at all but after about a minute while watchin the glow plugs in the cold i see what looks like heat or slight smoke coming from the top of the connection. I've ordered a new controller anyway.
I also checked the main oil level presumably the transmission and 3pt hitch oil level with the dip stick and it appears low also.
I have downloaded some available service and operator manuals from online but I don't see capacities and specifications of fluids within them.
regarding the backhoe I went to try it out. It appears to have been welded/repaired where the rear pivot point is for the lift arm, I barley touched the ground to rotate the bucket and "clinck" the weld broke. So now i have to either attempt this repair with a piece of 1/8" plate to reinforce the spot.
Another question is what is the number for the headlight bulbs 1156? It sems they're not very bright, can an LED substitute bulb work better?
I guess that's enough questions for now.
I'm still learnin about these creatures.
Lol
You've probably figured out that the lever on the left is for the PTO which has 3 speeds. When you don't want it to turn, leave in 'N'. Easy to bump it when mounting the tractor, so I always got in the habit of making sure it was where I wanted. FEL and hoes for these were all made in U.S. (Woods, maybe?) so have U.S. fittings/bolts. Mine came using ATF type F in both FEL and hoe.

I would not use the decompression lever to stop the engine. Use the lever below the hand throttle (yellow originally) to shut off the fuel flow.

I always used a quality universal hydraulic oil in the transmission. Drain is one of the large bolts lowest below the rear axle. Like the engine drain plug, has a magnet on it to attract iron filings.

Headlight bulbs were always dim (housings attracted dust), when LEDs became available I mounted some on the top front of the hood. Original lamps almost useless for plowing snow at night.

I sold mine this past summer after 40+ years, but I'll try to answer any questions that you might have. Was a great little machine that I sometimes overworked, but aside from being hard to start in cold weather (even with a radiator hose heater), I had few complaints.