B6000 3PH blade with 360° hydraulic powered rotation

Charlie9000

Equipment
Kubota B6000D
Oct 8, 2015
Alberta
My goal for this project, aside from normal angle adjustments, was a blade that I could rotate to push snow up on to the bank without having to get off.

This project has been in the design stage for several years, and under part-time construction since about June.

When I'm elbows deep into a project I rarely think to get photos of what I'm doing or how I solved a particular problem, so there are not a lot of "in construction" photos. If anyone is remotely interested in this little project, I will attempt to make up for the bad picture sequence by including my CAD drawings.

Caution: I am no photographer! Here is a picture of the first full mounting on the tractor, with the hydraulic motor just set in place for the photo:

Here is the first testing of the hydraulics after fabricating the new auxiliary hydraulic lines:
https://youtu.be/iPO3EcowV34

-Charlie

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sweet. Are you going to have a pin or something that will spring pop into place to hold the position or you think the hydraulics, chain and all the mounting can take the forces that will be applied to them if you hit or catch something you didn't plan to.

Charlie9000

Equipment
Kubota B6000D
Oct 8, 2015
Alberta
Sweet. Are you going to have a pin or something that will spring pop into place to hold the position or you think the hydraulics, chain and all the mounting can take the forces that will be applied to them if you hit or catch something you didn't plan to.
So far the hydraulic motor locks the rotation sufficiently; I pulled as hard as I could on the end of the blade and it didn't rotate at all. I also dragged it down the street on dry payment at various angles and it didn't budge from the selected position. My confidence is improving that it will hold the angle, but time will tell. My original plan was to use a pair of cylinders to rotate 90° (45° angle each direction) with quick pins to rotate 180°. I left the top channel long (extending towards the tractor) so I could go back to that if this turns out to not hold the angle under a load.

Here's a picture showing the channel on flat going from the pivot out past the lower link spreader bar (correct term?):

As far as shock loads go, I'm reasonably sure the #50 chain will be the weakest part and break before anything else. Chain is cheap, and this is really just a toy for me, so if I'm down for a while replacing chain it doesn't have a big impact. Plus, occasionally (hopefully) replacing chain is less annoying than climbing on and off the tractor to pull pins every time I what to push snow onto the pile :)

- Charlie

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Great project. Good concept.
The #50 chain is suprisingly tough (depending on mfr)
With ratio and such a large motor it should hold quite well.
So a couple well placed adjustabe relief valves would protect motor and chain.
Looking forward to finished product.

Charlie9000

Equipment
Kubota B6000D
Oct 8, 2015
Alberta
Great project. Good concept.
The #50 chain is suprisingly tough (depending on mfr)
With ratio and such a large motor it should hold quite well.
So a couple well placed adjustabe relief valves would protect motor and chain.
Looking forward to finished product.
Thanks Tooljunkie,

Something like this maybe:
http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/poppet-style-cross-over-relief-valve/A-p1240044e

Actually that thing is on sale too, I'm going to grab it. Dang, just when I thought I was done bending tubing!

-Charlie

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks good.

Another option would have been to make the blade double sided and then just one cylinder for angle adjustment. ;)

Charlie9000

Equipment
Kubota B6000D
Oct 8, 2015
Alberta
Looks like I never updated this thread with the finished product, better late than never I guess:
IMG_20200301_093537_1.jpg

I did end up installing the pressure relief valve and it works perfectly. I set it to relieve when I hit a curb and it seems to hold fine during normal use.
IMG_20200301_093551_0.jpg
IMG_20200301_093544_2.jpg

Overall it's been working well, and has been a ton of fun to play with in the snow.

Last edited: