B5100E TURBO

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
I bought this tractor locally for $600 and then spent ~$400 turbo'ing it. The previous owner welded a piece of train rail as the front bumper which I think is pretty cool.

I don't know what the power level is with the turbo. It's 12hp stock. I have not "turned up" the fuel or anything like that.

Goals are to be able to have a reliable work horse tractor that can maybe pull/do a little more than stock.

Turbo is a RHB31 from a Yanmar marine diesel generator (I believe). You can definitely tell the turbo was used in a marine application.

In any case, I just got it running last weekend. I'm still a noob with tractors, but not new to tastefully modifying my vehicles.

If anyone has any questions please let me know. I still intend to put the stock muffler/stack back on once I make an adapter for the turbine outlet flange.

C381167C-3885-4C4A-A159-3FFAA8C09D6E.jpeg

284637C0-A720-42AD-8038-DD28854F7A5B.jpeg

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
How about pics of the turbo/plumbing/exhaust?

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Here's the oil drain fitting I added from HDR (home depot racing).

There isn't much to the exhaust. The 2nd picture shows it. I made the manifold/collector out of steel plumbing fittings that I removed the galvanization off of. They still need a tack weld to hold it in position but it's sturdy enough where it is just on the threads.... and it doesn't leak exhaust.

The turbo is in the 2nd picture. I will take some more closeups of how things went together when I go back out to where the tractor is in a day or two.

The intake piping (hot pipe, i don't think this needs an intercooler or could even benefit from one unless it had a fan mounted to it) was made out of a piping kit I bought from frozenboost.com. We used a u-bend, 2x 90s, and a 45 to complete the run from the compressor outlet to the motor's air inlet..... and it allowed the hood to shut as well.

I had to go back and put a gasket between the metal washer and the oil pan because it leaked after I assembled it.

The oil feed was pulled from the oil pressure switch port in the head that I adapted to a t-fitting and ran -4AN line from to the turbo. The oil pressure switch still is in line but now the oil can feed the turbo as well.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions please let me know.

Attachments

johngwalsh

Equipment
B5100e
Apr 7, 2012
Munster,Ireland
Nice job and Fair play for tackling this mod .I'd be interested in hearing how much improved performance is when your done and would you recommend it.

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Nice job and Fair play for tackling this mod .I'd be interested in hearing how much improved performance is when your done and would you recommend it.
I will reply soon. I bought a Kubota 5' shredder for it today which I believe is bigger than a tractor this size should try to run..... so we'll see. I also have nothing to compare it to because I never did any real work with the tractor since owning it. I made sure the motor worked and then turbo'd it.

I will update with more pictures and explanation about why I chose to do things some of the ways I chose to do them. I hope this inspires someone else to try the same. It's probably way easier on the older mechanically injected tractors. I don't know if newer equipment would take to a mod like this so easily.... but I could be very wrong about that.

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
SO...... late reply, sorry.

The big shredder is way too heavy for the B5100E. Our intended use of the tractor now is going to be to tow a lawn trailer with construction materials through some rough terrain. This little tractor is going to be a big part of our home build we're working on.

I need to build an exhaust for it so it's not just blowing out of the turbine housing outlet.

The belt on the tractor started randomly seizing and in my research I found that it has no water pump at all. I'm thinking the bearings in the dynamo are bad. I will replace those and update again once I get the thing hauling butt again (it doesn't really haul butt but it will try to do a wheelie if you're not nice on the clutch in 6th gear startoffs).

fluxcapacitor

Equipment
B5100E
Aug 30, 2019
Austin, TX
Here are pictures I promised. The charge pipe has no intercooler in it, it just goes to the inlet manifold on the cylinder head.

You can see mockup of an intercooler, but I really don't think it's needed.

Attachments