B3350 DPF Bypass

Bushrat

Equipment
B3350, TG1800
Sep 1, 2021
Oregon
I just got back from the dealer and the manager showed up after a short wait. He is sticking by the 9 hours labor. I offered to pay for three and let it go at that. He said he could not do that. I asked him why they proceeded to try the forced regen over and over when I made it clear I wanted to pursue coverage under warranty. He said it was not warrantable. I said "you mean according to the Kubota regional service rep?", he said yes and that he would get him to write a letter to that effect but that he was at a Kubota meeting in Texas this week. I told him that it (the letter) better have proof that there was obvious and deliberate misuse on my part if he was going to go to that trouble. I will be calling Kubota today to start the process with customer service😫.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I just got back from the dealer and the manager showed up after a short wait. He is sticking by the 9 hours labor. I offered to pay for three and let it go at that. He said he could not do that. I asked him why they proceeded to try the forced regen over and over when I made it clear I wanted to pursue coverage under warranty. He said it was not warrantable. I said "you mean according to the Kubota regional service rep?", he said yes and that he would get him to write a letter to that effect but that he was at a Kubota meeting in Texas this week. I told him that it (the letter) better have proof that there was obvious and deliberate misuse on my part if he was going to go to that trouble. I will be calling Kubota today to start the process with customer service😫.
The DEF/DPF/Regen crap is SO disgusting!
So what happened to the "buy the dealer" concept?
Seems like Kubota just goes out of their way to deny claims, and a dealer simply cannot help.
I have never owned a tractor with a warranty, because I have never bought a new tractor.
I kinda like it that way!

rancher1524

Equipment
Tractor LX4020 B3350SU
May 11, 2016
Evans, Washington
My B3350SU is 7 years old. It was not fixed under any warranty except the Kubota Lifetime Warranty on the emission system. You all must have some poor dealers with in experienced repairmen. I did not get any type of run a round by my dealer or mechanic. They called Kubota told them the problem and the DPF and senor was replaced without charge. No mention about the reformer.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
My B3350SU is 7 years old. It was not fixed under any warranty except the Kubota Lifetime Warranty on the emission system. You all must have some poor dealers with in experienced repairmen. I did not get any type of run a round by my dealer or mechanic. They called Kubota told them the problem and the DPF and senor was replaced without charge. No mention about the reformer.
I think you bring up a valid point that is not only occurring in tractor dealerships, but across many industries, which is the loss of experienced working craft.

Bushrat

Equipment
B3350, TG1800
Sep 1, 2021
Oregon
I got my B3350 back from the dealer todayf (after two months). They reduced my bill from $906 to a figure I can live with. I had to weigh time-loss and possible legal expenses against submitting to those dollars lost in a settlement I managed to make with the dealer owner. I sent a letter to Kubota too and they sided with their regional service person that declared it not warrantable. I never was able to see any evidence that I deliberately postponed regeneration four times. I believe that they did not have that evidence. I was never able to speak directly with the regional Kubota rep nor did I get the letter from him I requested through the branch manager. I will try to work with the emissions system intact as long as possible, but I will not rule out bypassing the system at some future point. I now "know someone" that can make that happen without sending my money to Poland or Turkey for a kit. This forum has been very helpful to me and I appreciate everyone that spent time to give constructive advice.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
hmm...have a question about this 'regen DPF system'....
can you simply push a button and manually start the regen process ?
My idea is , if you force a regen ,say every 50hrs or so, the DPF would never get plugged up. This would be a preventative maintenance kind of cleaning, similar to replacing your house furnace filters every 3 months. I don't know if there's a life to the DPF, good for only so many cleanings ??

Last edited:

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
My idea is , if you force a regen ,say every 50hrs or so, the DPF would never get plugged up. This would be a preventative maintenance kind of cleaning, similar to replacing your house furnace filters every 3 months. I don't know if there's a life to the DPF, good for only so many cleanings ??
While I have the L2501 and don't deal with it, your idea of doing at your convenience vs when the machine wants to take over is a good one. I can only imagine what this is like in over the road vehicles. I hope to make my vehicles I have last for the most of my remainder of operating years. I dread buying a new car or truck since I will probably have to give up doing my own service at that point.

Bill

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
No.

Not possible.

SDT

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Page 20 of manual describes a "parked regeneration" and instructs you to push buttons in sequence. Does that not mean you can initiate it manually?
No. You cannot initiate a parked regen until the dpf filter is at Stage 2 level of being plugged. Says in the manual, and I tried it. Won't work even if Stage 1 lights are blinking. Life is better if you just pay attention to lights and run the "auto regen" directions, which just require upping the rpm, and finding some work to do for 10 minutes (on my L3560)..

It would be nice if they would reprogram their software to allow the owner to initiate a regen any time after say 90% full (for those of us that have meters). I like being able to plan my work.

I had heard that that was possible on some of the big equipment like combines, but don't have any firsthand info.

Reactions: 1 users

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Page 20 of manual describes a "parked regeneration" and instructs you to push buttons in sequence. Does that not mean you can initiate it manually?
No.

It is not possible to initiate a parked regen at operator's convenience.

Wish it was.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
No. You cannot initiate a parked regen until the dpf filter is at Stage 2 level of being plugged. Says in the manual, and I tried it. Won't work even if Stage 1 lights are blinking. Life is better if you just pay attention to lights and run the "auto regen" directions, which just require upping the rpm, and finding some work to do for 10 minutes (on my L3560)..

It would be nice if they would reprogram their software to allow the owner to initiate a regen any time after say 90% full (for those of us that have meters). I like being able to plan my work.

I had heard that that was possible on some of the big equipment like combines, but don't have any firsthand info.
Agreed.

Seems that regens always start after work is finished and heading for the barn.

I've started hitting the inhibit switch after finishing work and heading to the barn.

SDT

Bushrat

Equipment
B3350, TG1800
Sep 1, 2021
Oregon
I finally got my face to face meeting with the Kubota rep, and after asking to see the Diagmaster documentation for two months finally saw that report. It did show regen postponement 4 times but because of the hour meter reading since the last successful regen, they could not prove I postponed it 4 times. According to them, some of those postponements could have been the previous owner. The rep also said their tests showed all the sensors were working so that the DPF plugging must have been operator error. They simply did not have anything that showed unequivocally that I engaged in "Obvious and Deliberate Interference". Despite that, Kubota says they are standing by their rep and they consider the case is closed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
'operator error' . age old cop out.
I have to ask HOW could an operator 'defeat and destroy' the DPF emissions system ? It shouldn't be possible...there's NO way anyone should be able to defeat guv regulated antipollution systems...
I'd be contacting the head of the EPA and demanding them to have Kubota recall EVERY tractor in your series, as well as EVERY other one that uses the same DPF system. Send a CC: to your dealer, Kub USA and KUB JPN. Can you imagine the outcome if the Feds halted EVERY Kubota sale until DPF issue was FIXED ?
If the EPA won't do it, contact whatever 'tree hugging greenies',send copies of your emails,etc. to them. They love a 'cause' and will fight for clean air !

Also have to ask, how hot does the DPF have to get to be 'cleaned' ? Just wondering if one of them 500KBU 'blow torches' would have enough temp to burn off/out the 'soot' ? Maybe oxy/pro combo ?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
'operator error' . age old cop out.
I have to ask HOW could an operator 'defeat and destroy' the DPF emissions system ? It shouldn't be possible...there's NO way anyone should be able to defeat guv regulated antipollution systems...
I'd be contacting the head of the EPA and demanding them to have Kubota recall EVERY tractor in your series, as well as EVERY other one that uses the same DPF system. Send a CC: to your dealer, Kub USA and KUB JPN. Can you imagine the outcome if the Feds halted EVERY Kubota sale until DPF issue was FIXED ?
If the EPA won't do it, contact whatever 'tree hugging greenies',send copies of your emails,etc. to them. They love a 'cause' and will fight for clean air !

Also have to ask, how hot does the DPF have to get to be 'cleaned' ? Just wondering if one of them 500KBU 'blow torches' would have enough temp to burn off/out the 'soot' ? Maybe oxy/pro combo ?
Good luck with that.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I finally got my face to face meeting with the Kubota rep, and after asking to see the Diagmaster documentation for two months finally saw that report. It did show regen postponement 4 times but because of the hour meter reading since the last successful regen, they could not prove I postponed it 4 times. According to them, some of those postponements could have been the previous owner. The rep also said their tests showed all the sensors were working so that the DPF plugging must have been operator error. They simply did not have anything that showed unequivocally that I engaged in "Obvious and Deliberate Interference". Despite that, Kubota says they are standing by their rep and they consider the case is closed.
Exactly what I would have expected.

As previously mentioned, representatives are trained to look for ways to construe such failures as "operator error."

If you write well and have good records, you could open a case with Kubota Customer Satisfaction. You will need to demonstrate your case persuasively in writing.

I did this successfully once but only after I submitted a very, very well written and persuasive letter.

Good luck.

SDT

Bushrat

Equipment
B3350, TG1800
Sep 1, 2021
Oregon
Exactly what I would have expected.

As previously mentioned, representatives are trained to look for ways to construe such failures as "operator error."

If you write well and have good records, you could open a case with Kubota Customer Satisfaction. You will need to demonstrate your case persuasively in writing.

I did this successfully once but only after I submitted a very, very well written and persuasive letter.

Good luck.

SDT
I wrote what I thought was a good letter. I have 30 years of experience writing letters of medical necessity and appeal letters to insurance companies that had denied medically necessary equipment. My track record was very good. I got a response to the letter from a primary level Kubota customer satisfaction person. He was responsible for setting up the meeting with the regional Kubota rep. As I had mentioned, I was not successful getting to the next level within Kubota customer satisfaction at the corporate level. I have not decided whether I will spend the time and energy to push that.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I wrote what I thought was a good letter. I have 30 years of experience writing letters of medical necessity and appeal letters to insurance companies that had denied medically necessary equipment. My track record was very good. I got a response to the letter from a primary level Kubota customer satisfaction person. He was responsible for setting up the meeting with the regional Kubota rep. As I had mentioned, I was not successful getting to the next level within Kubota customer satisfaction at the corporate level. I have not decided whether I will spend the time and energy to push that.
Sorry. Did not realize that you had already gone the Customer Satisfaction route.

SDT

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Find out who is the 'head' of Kubota USA,write a 'snail mail' ONE page letter to him. Explain the problem, actions taken, and what you want to happen to resolve it. Use clear, precise language. Sound slike you've had to do this before, welcome to the club. In my case I wrote Mr. Bill Gates about a 'software documentation' issue. Expecting a 3 week turnaround, I was pleasantly surprised when one of his VP software gurus called me 4 days later, 3 after that DHL dropped off about 50# of documentation.
Give the lower guy first try to fix, then go direclty to the top....

Maybe start the letter off like...
Dear Mr. so and so
I realize you're a very busy man and I'd like to be one too, however I've lost months of tractor time as my ..tractor model.. has been in the shop and no one will fix the emissions problem...

If you don't get a response within a reasonable time(2-3 weeks..), get the name of Kubota Japan President, write him a letter...

Dear Mr. so and so
I realize you're a very busy man and I'd like to be one too, however I've lost months of tractor time as my ..tractor model.. has been in the shop and no one here in the USA ,from the dealer to the president of Kubota USA will fix the emissions problem...

Bushrat

Equipment
B3350, TG1800
Sep 1, 2021
Oregon
I called Kubota customer service today. My aim was to get past the internal representative that was handling my claim request, the one that stated the determination of the regional rep was final. I spoke with customer service and while I was on the line she familiarized herself on the case and said it was closed. I asked her to please give me the name and title of the person above the inside rep, she refused and finally she just disconnected me. That just might get me riled up enough to go through the hassle of the consumer protection agency process.