B3350 DPF Bypass

John Queer

Dec 28, 2016
Ferndale, Wa
Hi all. I've been planning on buying the B3350 rather than the B2650. I plan to use the tractor for a lot of field mowing with a brush cutter and also a lot of garden tilling. The reason I'm favoring the B3350 is for the higher PTO horsepower for running a 5' brush cutter and 5' tiller without bogging down.

Now where I'm having issues is I've been reading all the negative comments on the DPF system which the B2650 does not have. Granted these tractors are exactly the same other than their engines, I just don't think the smaller B2650 engine will be quite enough for all the mowing and tilling situations I'll be throwing at it with 5 foot implements(I don't want to use 4' implements). I'm not looking to step up to the L-series Kubotas because I need a mid mount PTO as well for finish mowing and it's just too big for my liking, otherwise I'd be all about it.

Now my question is this: Has anyone had any luck with a DPF delete/bypass? What kind of instruments does the DPF use? I'm an instrumentation tech and hobby machinist so this kind of project is right up my alley. I also talked to my local dealers and he said that the manufacturers claim to have solved all the DPF issues with this particular tractor. He did recommend to settle with the B2650 and avoid the issues. Glad he's an honest man haha. Thanks for any replies. I'm just trying to do as much research as possible on these two tractors.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Your dealer is being straight up with you. Kubota has been working hard to solve the problems with the B3350, but it is too soon to tell for sure. There are happy and successful users out there, but there are also folks that have had problems that the dealers couldn't fix, and so took their machines back. The work load and the temperature might be one of the variables that is hard to control for to get successful dpf regeneration.

I have an L3560 which is in the general horsepower you are looking for, but it is indeed big. I also have a new B2650 which size wise is much smaller, but haven't had it long enoigh to test its capacities. Besides the L2501 and the L3301, there is not a lot else to choose from in that size and horsepower, especially if you want a mid pto. Before you feel disappointed, search this forum for B2650 threads. There are quite a few people that love them and also that run implements bigger than what Kubota recommends. It is a very capable little tractor.

No one here is deleting the dpf's.

Welcome to the forum!

Myb3350

Equipment
B3350 JD430 Moline BG and BF
Jul 4, 2016
meridian ms
Welcome to the forms friend, well I have a B3350 love the tractor , it has been perfect so far. I purchased it used 42 hours I didn't know about all the NEG review's I am not sure I would have purchased it IF I have read all the review's but that is history and my B3350 Cab Air is great, the tractor is big enough to hook up my heavy duty 5 ft bush hog and hit the pasture I have about 20 acres to keep cut. It is small enough to hook up my 5ft finishing mower and keep my lawn looking great, I was going to get a MMM but after cutting my grass a couple times I think I had rather stick with the rear discharge finish mower, I had the same thoughts as you did about the HP I needed all the horse power I could get in a B tractor, I had rather have more HP than less HP and didn't want to take a chance and be disappointed in a smaller tractor, but I know it can be a hard decision to make good luck, B3350 is a great tractor great size great HP great Cab,FEL. Loaded tires, 4 in wheel extensions

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
i had a B3350 hsdc. it was in the shop more than on my place. i now have a B2650hsdc. it's slower doing the same jobs. tilling (5' tiller) is in first gear half speed or less. compared to the B3350 at first gear full speed or slow in 2nd gear. mowing with a 72" mm mower was at a higher speed. plowing was at a higher speed as well. using the backhoe is at a slower pace as well. the B2650 doesn't need to visit a repair shop on a constant basis.

John Queer

Dec 28, 2016
Ferndale, Wa
Thanks for the info fellas. Think I'll call the Kubota manufacturer and get some info on what is being done for the engines in the B3350 tractors and if they will be improved and available sometime in 2017. Both my local dealers are no longer selling the B3350 because of all the DPF issues.

Caboose

Equipment
B2650HST
Aug 16, 2016
Washington State
Thanks for the info fellas. Think I'll call the Kubota manufacturer and get some info on what is being done for the engines in the B3350 tractors and if they will be improved and available sometime in 2017. Both my local dealers are no longer selling the B3350 because of all the DPF issues.
Hey, John.
I'm just down the road from you in Mount Vernon - I briefly looked at the 3350 as well and discussed with likely the same dealership that you are dealing with (except the Burlington location). I don't recall if that location had any 3350s in stock back in August, but I was definitely steered toward the B2650 after a brief discussion about the DPF.

The difference for me was that I talked myself up to the B2650 from the BXs and the B2301/2601 so I was never looking at the bigger horsepower that you are. Talking yourself into buying UP a size or two is definitely easier than talking yourself down. In the end, I didn't want the potential hassle and added complexity of the DPF on the 3350 in return for the HP that I wasn't sure I needed.

I know the B2650s are pretty highly-regarded and mine has worked well for the things I need to do on my place, but if you need that extra 7.5 PTO HP, then you need it, although I think there are a number of folks running 60" implements with their 2650s... FYI, and you've probably already seen this, the Operators' Manual lists the same implement limitations for both the B2650 and the B3350 from what I could see. Must be based on weight and width and not on PTO HP.

Dean

John Queer

Dec 28, 2016
Ferndale, Wa
Thanks Caboose. I did do a little more research on the L3301 last night, and it looks like it is possible to get one from the factory with a mid mount PTO. That's going to be a very oversized lawn mower, but at this point I'm just researching everything that might suite my needs. I'd prefer to stick with the more compact B series tractor if they fix the DPF issues in the near future.

Thorny

Equipment
L2501 HST, 4x4, FEL, front snow blade, rotary cutter, box blade
Sep 24, 2016
Mountains of CO
John,
I've been scouring the interwebs for the last 6 months since my kubotoa buying process (and now owning process) began. I was of the same mindset as you about just removing the DPF parts, but I have yet to come across anyone who's done it. Maybe you've got the skills to lead the way and sell and delete kit to the rest of the owners who would likely buy them.

Reading through your thread I thought of another option. What about adding a turbo to the 2650? powering up the small motor rather than deleting parts from the bigger one? That might be worth looking into. I see than kubota often takes the same motor block and runs various bore/stroke/turbo configurations to arrive at their desired motor output, so there is a chance that some of the smaller engines have the capacity to handle the higher output of some modest modifications.

Lastly, I've been reading about tractor operation that is good VS bad for the DPF and it's longevity. I'm not up to speed on what the core issue is with the 3350 motor, so this may not be relevant, but I have read that working the motor hard is good for the DPF. Things like tilling and mowing at higher loads and engine RPMs actually help clean the DPF without the need for the regen process. Where as low load applications for the motor are hard on the DPF. Things like extended idling, or hydraulics work at a lower engine speed will lead to clogging the DPF faster and force more regen's to keep the exhaust breathing well. Point being, your intended use of the tractor might put you in a position to have fewer potential issues with the 3350.

John Queer

Dec 28, 2016
Ferndale, Wa
Thanks Thorny. As neat as a turbo set up would be, I think it would be a tough modification since there is hardly any wiggle room in the B2650 engine bay. Plus that'd void the warranty with all the fabricating it would require. I figured that a DPF delete on the B3350 would consist of removing parts that could be simply reinstalled to keep from voiding the warranty in case some other problems occur and it needs to be returned in stock condition.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
John, I don't know if you've used a rear finish mower or not. I've used both and I wouldn't use a mmm again if you gave it to me. Only my opinion of course but to me a rear mower is the only way to go.

I just wouldn't limit my options only for a mid mower. A quality rear mower cuts just as good and you can do more with it. It sounds like you have plans for multiple implements. Much easier to change a rear mower than a mid. Just a few thoughts from a L series user.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
I'll second Bulldog's comment about a rear-mount mower. I have two B-series tractors, both with mid-mount mowers. The older one, a B7200, looks like a real handful to install the mower. The newer one, a B7510, is fairly easy when it comes to installing the MMM, but when compared to a 3pt hitch mower, it's a giant PITA. Plus it can't lift high enough to allow the tractor to be used on rough ground, so if you want to use the tractor for something other than just mowing, you'll be stuck with mounting and dismounting that MMM on a regular basis. I think if I had to do this I would learn a LOT of cuss words in a hurry!

I've used 3pt finishing mowers in the past, and some were very good, and some were only so-so. The Kubota deck on the B7510 does an excellent job of cutting and is built like a tank, so it has redeeming qualities, but still not sufficient to make me like its mounting system.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have to agree with the folks who prefer the 3pt mowers over mid mount. The hook up is not even comparable.

I have a mid mount mower on a B7100. It's a nice tractor and a nice mower. But with a mower in it, that is all it is. It won't lift high enough if the area is rough. I've bottomed out the deck against the bottom of the tractor and it's sometimes a challenge getting out of the mess.

Sharpening the blades is a chore. I use another tractor with a loader to pick up the front of the one with the belly mower to set it off to service!

If quality of cut is a concern for a 3pt mower for lawn care, there are actually two different styles.

One is called a FINISH mower. It attaches to the 3pt arms of the tractor. Has a top link to adjust movement when going over uneven turf. Has two wheels on back side to carry weight of deck, and help regulate cutting height.

The other style is called a CONTOUR mower. The contour mower attaches to the 3pt just as the finish mower does. The big difference and hence the name Contour, is it has wheels on all four corners to regulate the cutting height. It follows the contour and make an excellent looking yard.

Of course both of these style mowers are attached to the PTO by a shaft to power the gearbox!! Both decks are designed for a finish cutting on grass, not weeds and brush.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
D2Cat, I'm a little confused now. My mower has 4 wheels (1 each corner) and Bushhog lists it as a finishing mower. I've seen the ones with rear wheels only but never really heard them called anything but mower.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Makes sense, they're just trying to confuse us. I still don't know about the 2 wheeled version. Friend of mine had one and one flat level ground it did okay but if it was at all uneven that thing sucked.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
At one time there was at least one ebay seller who was writing the tunes for an M series DPF delete. Supposedly increased HP, torque, and "best of all" eliminated the DPF.

I have "heard" that the seller is involve a long drawn out legal process, which likely will land him some prison time.

It is illegal to tamper with federal emission control systems, even on tractors. Thus, two things come to mind. If you removed the DPF, the engine will not rev up (been there, done that) with the stock ECU tuning. It will idle; and that is all. You would have to try to "fool" the differential pressure sensors and the EGT sensors, since the ECU looks for changes in all 4 of them. So you'd have to figure out how to tune them out of the program somehow, or "fool" the ECU. I'm sure it can be done. I'm not smart enough to figure it out, though...you'll have to learn the ECU's programming code and then modify it. Secondly, you warranty will be gone in doing so. And likely along with having no warranty, if Kubota were to find out that the system were tampered with, they're likely to at the very minimum give you a stern warning-and possibly let the ball roll down the hill to the feds. You don't want that to happen; or at least I don't think you'd want that to happen.

You never know who's watching these threads....

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Don't the tires flatten down the grass a lot while using a 3pt mower? Just curious.....

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
John,
there's "your sign" loud and clear smacking you in the face.Run buddy a broke
new tractor will do no work while it's at the shop constantly no matter what
you had planned on doing. Many here bought and no longer have as the only
cure was to swap it out for the B2650. I've got the B3030 Cab and all etc and
am very happy with it and have seen several low hour units for sale as most
that had bought them don't use them as much as they thought they would. I
bought my 2007 used in 2008 with 150 hours and a mid mount 60" deck I've
added a front end loader ONLY because a person who had the same tractor got talked into buying it and being he already had another Kubota with a
loader and backhoe decided it was in the way. So instead of paying $4650.00
I spent $1900.00 it had never had anything but dust in it from sitting around.

My cousin has an L series 29hp glide shift with the 3 cylinder, and compared to mine with 4 all I can say the difference is my 5 burns quite a bit more fuel
and it could be because of the glide shift versus the HST but I'd own that 3
banger in a heartbeat not really that much difference.

So if it were my choice in your position I'd either drop down to the B2650
which has proven to be a great machine or shop for a used B3030 if you have
any doubts. I just saw one within a hundred miles from me with a cab loader
mid mount pto 2008 just over a hundred hours for $19k that looked brand new. Being that the Kubota warranty would be totally void if you messed with
it and being the popularity of a Kubota versus hundreds of thousands of diesel
pickups on the road your chances of removing the DEP system and getting it
to run right with no problems is to risky in my opinion and it's a very expensive tool to be replacing an engine etc on along with other warranty options that might or could happen with a new tractor.
Al