B3200 Will 25x8.5 tires work?

MrTackett

Equipment
B3200
Feb 23, 2023
Joplin, MO
I have a B3200 that's in need of new front tires. The factory ones are 24x8.5-14 and I was wondering if I can use 25x8.5-14. They are only 1" larger in diameter, but I didn't know if that would cause any issues. I've been search for the answer and haven't been able to come up with one short of calling the dealer. Thanks in advance!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well - that REALLY depends......

the old 24" - what was the circumference of those NEW? You would have no idea, but you can see what that circumference is NOW. Measure the new 25" tire's circumference - if they should not be close, should be off by 3.14" or more. THAT 3" may hurt your drivetrain over time - the fronts will be leading the rears by a larger portion that before. Since your rears are also worn a bit - that circumference has changed also, thus making the whole ratio becoming off more and more!

IF you take two tire companies that make the same size tire - you will find that they ARE NOT the same in circumference - close, but not the same.

The first thing that will happen is the new fronts will wear MUCH fasterthan the old ones, because the lead distance is now greater.

WHAT type of tires you looking for ?

here are turfs:

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Multi-Trac-Lawn-Garden/dp/B005O5S9Q8?th=1

there are several places to get these tires - they are $$$$ but available, unless you are running some other type of thread.

MrTackett

Equipment
B3200
Feb 23, 2023
Joplin, MO
Well - that REALLY depends......

the old 24" - what was the circumference of those NEW? You would have no idea, but you can see what that circumference is NOW. Measure the new 25" tire's circumference - if they should not be close, should be off by 3.14" or more. THAT 3" may hurt your drivetrain over time - the fronts will be leading the rears by a larger portion that before. Since your rears are also worn a bit - that circumference has changed also, thus making the whole ratio becoming off more and more!

IF you take two tire companies that make the same size tire - you will find that they ARE NOT the same in circumference - close, but not the same.

The first thing that will happen is the new fronts will wear MUCH fasterthan the old ones, because the lead distance is now greater.

WHAT type of tires you looking for ?

here are turfs:

https://www.amazon.com/Carlisle-Multi-Trac-Lawn-Garden/dp/B005O5S9Q8?th=1

there are several places to get these tires - they are $$$$ but available, unless you are running some other type of thread.
Thanks for the reply! I'm looking for turf tires and have found multiple choices. 99% of it's life is spent mowing and only occasionally in 4x4. As far as tread depth goes, the tires have lost very little since they spend virtually all of their time on grass. There is a good amount of dry rot and a few cuts from rocks. I found someone selling a new set of Grassmasters for $70 each & that's hard to pass up.

MrTackett

Equipment
B3200
Feb 23, 2023
Joplin, MO
So....I called the dealer and he said exactly what I thought he would. If you change the front size, you would need to change the rear size because it would throw off the gear ratios. I get it. But... For instance, if you have a severely worn set of rears and a new set of fronts (all factory sizes), the ratio would be even farther off than what I'm talking about since the rear tires are so much larger than the fronts. There must be some sort of internal provision for that scenario. I've seen/driven many tractors over the years that had brand new rear tires and practically bald front tires and that ratio would be way off. Thoughts?

MrTackett

Equipment
B3200
Feb 23, 2023
Joplin, MO
Here's one more point. In researching actual tire sizes, there is almost .5" difference between brands at the same 24x8.5-14. Hmmmmm......