B3200 Tractor/Backhoe Swivel Seat Replacement

tjaltz

Equipment
L6060HSTC, B3200HSD
Mar 17, 2019
South Carolina
I’m looking to see how others have handled the functions of the seat safety switch when replacing the seat. I am trying to keep all of the seat safety and operator presence functions operational.

I have a 2009 B3200 that has a BH76 backhoe. It originally came with a pop-up and swivel seat to use for tractor or backhoe operations. I have since installed a dedicated pedestal seat on the backhoe, and want to replace the pop-up and swivel mechanism and seat and install a suspension seat that does not swivel. The seat safety switch is a lever (see photos) below the seat.

When the seat is popped up or latched facing the rear, the safety lever is all the way up and closes a circuit which sends 12 volts to the Operator Presence Control Module. In this position the tractor will start and run for backhoe operations, but will shut down if the HST lever is pushed.

When the seat is latched facing forward without an operator in the seat, it pushes the safety switch lever midway down and the circuit is open, not sending 12 volts to the Operator Presence Control Module. In this position the tractor will start and run, but will shut down if the HST lever is pushed.

If the operator is sitting in the seat facing forward, the safety switch lever is pushed further down to the horizontal position which closes the circuit and sends 12 volts to Operator Presence Control Module. The tractor functions normally in this position. If the operator comes out of the seat while moving, the switch will move up the the middle position (previous paragraph) opening the circuit and shutting the tractor down.

What’s confusing to me is when the seat is flipped to the rear the switch closes a circuit and sends 12 volts to the controller, causing the tractor to shut down if the HST pedal is pressed. When the operator is fully seated facing forward, a circuit is closed and 12 volts are sent to the controller providing normal operation.

I plan on unplugging the two wires that send 12 volts to the controller when the old seat was either popped up or latched facing the rear, since my new stationary seat will never be in that position. I plan on connecting the two wires that send the 12 volts to the controller when to operator is seated to the operator presence switch built into the new seat. If I want the new seat to close the circuit when seated and send 12 volts to the controller, would I want a Normally Open (NO) switch that closes when you sit it, correct?

I will still have the safety feature of the tractor shutting down if you are operating the backhoe and press the HST pedal because there will be no operator in the new tractor seat (will be on backhoe pedestal).

Thank you for any input.

Attachments

marrmanu

Equipment
B2620 3pt chipper, box blade, post hole auger, custom 3pt chain box with hooks h
Jan 16, 2021
usa
I believe that switch is also in the circuit that allows the PTO to operate if you are dismounted from the tractor, operating a chipper for example. Something to consider.

jmermigas

Equipment
Kubota B3200- BH77 Backhoe
May 4, 2022
Wexford, PA
I’m looking to see how others have handled the functions of the seat safety switch when replacing the seat. I am trying to keep all of the seat safety and operator presence functions operational.

I have a 2009 B3200 that has a BH76 backhoe. It originally came with a pop-up and swivel seat to use for tractor or backhoe operations. I have since installed a dedicated pedestal seat on the backhoe, and want to replace the pop-up and swivel mechanism and seat and install a suspension seat that does not swivel. The seat safety switch is a lever (see photos) below the seat.

When the seat is popped up or latched facing the rear, the safety lever is all the way up and closes a circuit which sends 12 volts to the Operator Presence Control Module. In this position the tractor will start and run for backhoe operations, but will shut down if the HST lever is pushed.

When the seat is latched facing forward without an operator in the seat, it pushes the safety switch lever midway down and the circuit is open, not sending 12 volts to the Operator Presence Control Module. In this position the tractor will start and run, but will shut down if the HST lever is pushed.

If the operator is sitting in the seat facing forward, the safety switch lever is pushed further down to the horizontal position which closes the circuit and sends 12 volts to Operator Presence Control Module. The tractor functions normally in this position. If the operator comes out of the seat while moving, the switch will move up the the middle position (previous paragraph) opening the circuit and shutting the tractor down.

What’s confusing to me is when the seat is flipped to the rear the switch closes a circuit and sends 12 volts to the controller, causing the tractor to shut down if the HST pedal is pressed. When the operator is fully seated facing forward, a circuit is closed and 12 volts are sent to the controller providing normal operation.

I plan on unplugging the two wires that send 12 volts to the controller when the old seat was either popped up or latched facing the rear, since my new stationary seat will never be in that position. I plan on connecting the two wires that send the 12 volts to the controller when to operator is seated to the operator presence switch built into the new seat. If I want the new seat to close the circuit when seated and send 12 volts to the controller, would I want a Normally Open (NO) switch that closes when you sit it, correct?

I will still have the safety feature of the tractor shutting down if you are operating the backhoe and press the HST pedal because there will be no operator in the new tractor seat (will be on backhoe pedestal).

Thank you for any input.

Thank you for any input.

Hi,

Are you interested in selling you pop up seat swivel mount for your B3200? I just installed a BH77 backhoe on my B3200 and need a seat setup.

Thank you,

Jim

tjaltz

Equipment
L6060HSTC, B3200HSD
Mar 17, 2019
South Carolina
Hi,

Are you interested in selling you pop up seat swivel mount for your B3200? I just installed a BH77 backhoe on my B3200 and need a seat setup.

Thank you,

Jim
I’m going to keep it in case I revert back. I ended up putting Kubota’s fixed pedestal seat on my backhoe. Easier than flipping the seat.

jmermigas

Equipment
Kubota B3200- BH77 Backhoe
May 4, 2022
Wexford, PA
I’m going to keep it in case I revert back. I ended up putting Kubota’s fixed pedestal seat on my backhoe. Easier than flipping the seat.
Thank you, Is there a kit for the fixed mount set up? Do you know the part number?