B3200 RCK60-27ba Deck Un level

RobbAR

Equipment
B3200
Aug 18, 2014
NW Arkansas
I have a new b3200 tractor with a mmm RCK60 - 27ba and it does not mow level. I have checked my set up and all the guide wheels are set correctly. The mower seem to mow lower on the right side. I have checked the lift linkages and all appear to be adjusted properly as far as the measurements go but I think the link measurements are for the lifting of the deck not the levelness of the deck. The deck when lowered rests on the wheels and not on the linkages. I love the tractor and the mower does mow well. My yard is not flat but has a gradual grade to it but no matter which way I mow it appears that its mowing unlevel. The tires on the mower are solid and not pneumatic..tractor tires are inflated properly too. The front of the blades are lower than the back but I think that is normal...any suggestions would be appreciated...I love the tractor and have had the timing adjusted to eliminate some of the vibration...not all but its much better after having the timing adjusted....I will recheck the length of the front and rear links but I dont think that will matter since the deck rides on its wheels.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a new b3200 tractor with a mmm RCK60 - 27ba and it does not mow level. I have checked my set up and all the guide wheels are set correctly. The mower seem to mow lower on the right side. I have checked the lift linkages and all appear to be adjusted properly as far as the measurements go but I think the link measurements are for the lifting of the deck not the levelness of the deck. The deck when lowered rests on the wheels and not on the linkages. I love the tractor and the mower does mow well. My yard is not flat but has a gradual grade to it but no matter which way I mow it appears that its mowing unlevel. The tires on the mower are solid and not pneumatic..tractor tires are inflated properly too. The front of the blades are lower than the back but I think that is normal...any suggestions would be appreciated...I love the tractor and have had the timing adjusted to eliminate some of the vibration...not all but its much better after having the timing adjusted....I will recheck the length of the front and rear links but I dont think that will matter since the deck rides on its wheels.
The wheels "really" should not hit the ground unless uneven ground.....they are there for antiscalping.... everything I have ever read says that the wheel should only touch when hitting a high spot......then again on my mower (not kubota) i will run the thing on the wheels sometimes!! :D

something is outta whack.......
raise it and measure the blade to ground area(level hard surface)....then lower it and see if the numbers change with respect to one another......

RobbAR

Equipment
B3200
Aug 18, 2014
NW Arkansas
This deck actually operates on the gauge wheels...two on the front of the deck that are spaced out toward the outside of the deck and two in the back that are centered on the deck but are not very widely spaced. The height is adjusted by the wheels and when lowered...I will at first opportunity get it in the shop on level concrete and check it out. Like most decks I cannot reach under to measure it but my thoughts are to set the gauge wheels on blocks to give me more room to reach under it and subtract the thickness of the block to get the correct measurement. It is so hot and dry now the grass isnt growing much...

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Yes it most definitely rides on the wheels once it's lowered all the way down.
When you get it on a flat service driveway shop garage etc take a level and make sure where it's at level wise then use the blocks to determine what needs to be done to set the deck level.
One thing I've noticed I've noticed with my neighbors who scalp their lawns down to an inch maybe height, is it gets worse or more pronounced the shorter they cut the more pronounced it is level wise one side worse than the other. I set my deck on my B3030 by measuring the blade height on a level surface and one of my side wheels has the "pin hole" off from the other side.
There's several holes and not perfect side to side if you're trying to use the same particular one's on each side. If you use the level and blade height like you're planning you should be able to get it closer. You'll probably be better off especially now to leave the grass a little taller and it will not only look better but taller grass will help prevent weed growth too.
Al

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
This deck actually operates on the gauge wheels...two on the front of the deck that are spaced out toward the outside of the deck and two in the back that are centered on the deck but are not very widely spaced. The height is adjusted by the wheels and when lowered...I will at first opportunity get it in the shop on level concrete and check it out. Like most decks I cannot reach under to measure it but my thoughts are to set the gauge wheels on blocks to give me more room to reach under it and subtract the thickness of the block to get the correct measurement. It is so hot and dry now the grass isnt growing much...
Ok, if the deck DOES ride on the ground and the wheels are adjusted correctly, how can it be off? In theory the wheels ARE the leveling aspect of the deck, as opposed to most other types where the wheel keep from digging- scalping.....

Do you have a bent blade my chance? THAT would muck up the works when everything else is perfect!

One way to measure without measuring is to slide a set of shims under the blade on level ground, keep adding shims until the blade barely touches on one side of the deck -take an old 2x4 - that is 1.5" and work up from there with a thinner pieces of wood ....- then go to the other side.....same shims, same height, if one side is higher or lower....you have a bent blade, a wheel out of whack or .....

RobbAR

Equipment
B3200
Aug 18, 2014
NW Arkansas
I am suspect that the pin holes in the gauge wheel adjustment may be off...will check it out this weekend as well as a bent blade...Thanks for the suggestions...

RobbAR

Equipment
B3200
Aug 18, 2014
NW Arkansas
I checked out the deck and attachment to the tractor...my dealer had it set up for a 72 inch deck rather than a 60 inch which doesn't affect the mower levelness but does the way it lifts...wheels were all adjusted correctly and the blades were not bent...I did sharpen them but they were not really too bad...My yard is pretty much Bermuda grass and in places really thick...I try to mow the grass and blow all the clippings in one direction so I am recutting the grass already cut...so I think I have figured out why its not cutting as good as it should...with the deflector on it doesn't disperse the grass as well...I raised the deflector up some so the grass would not windrow as bad and the mower is mowing better. So the problem was not so much with the mower but the operator...The current blades are not the hi lift ones so when its time to replace them I think that will help too...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Got that bermuda at my house. Noticed the same thing. Get it cut and it looks like a golf course, but it sure bogs the mower and shute. Especially if it's tall.

Bank Walker

Equipment
BX25D.
Aug 27, 2014
Tn
I have a bx25d that just arrived yesterday. With that said I spent a day with the dealer going over how-to-do stuff. There are adjustment bolts on each side of the deck with a locking nut for adjustment purposes. We adjusted the deck with a gauge to measure the distance of the blade itself from the floor. There are also tension springs on each side that can become worn out or damaged from someone stepping on the deck. Not sure if this helps.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Deflector? Oh yeah right, that's that orange piece of metal that when on sticks out catching things and spews huge clumps of grass out ;)
It's in the garage on a shelf somewhere I'm sure being I took it off 10 minutes after mowing with it the 1st time. I should have listened to the guy I bought it from and not wasted my time putting it on and taking it right back off. I wouldn't recommend others not to use there of course and I would use it if I didn't have the yard situation at my place. Where I mow there's no danger of hitting anything that's not mine and nobody is allowed in the area I'm mowing including the dog to avoid hurting someone by flying rocks/objects and I'm not ever going to rake up windrows of grass every time I mow.