B3000 HST Linkage Adjustment Question

Loremaster72

Equipment
B3000, Loader, MM Mower +
Sep 21, 2019
Bolivar, OH
I'm trying to help my dad with maintenance issues on his B3000HST, with cab. He's had it since new, and has about 450 hours on it, IIRC. The last time I was over working with him, I noticed that the machine seems to creep when it should be in neutral. If you fuss with the pedal, you can get it to stop, but the neutral band is a lot smaller than I would have expected, and system drag keeps it ever so slightly in gear. I inspected the linkage and greased the HST pedal pivot, and nothing seemed out of place. Everything worked, it just wouldn't quite completely center reliably. Based on that, I figure that the linkage has just worn or drifted a little, and needs some adjustment.

I came home to dig through the two versions of the WSM that I have (both multi-machine ones, B3030+, on e purchased, one found online) and was quite disappointed by what I've found. For what has to be one of the most critical and complex external linkages in the system, you get a business-card sized photo and a brief paragraph on its operation, and no real adjustment instructions anywhere to be found. Troubleshooting section said go to page 3-S13, to adjust the "neutral adjuster" which isn't even mentioned on that page, or any of the adjoining ones that I can find. I don't see anything about tuning the linkage and how much dead band should be there. With as many control rods operating as this system has, I would expect there's an "adjust this rod / system first, leave this much slack, then adjust that" hierarchy and tuning procedure, but if it exists, I can't find it.

Does anyone have any advice for this issue, or a source for a better set of instructions? If I need to get another version of the WSM, I'm not against buying it, but I don't want to dump more money into books that say (or don't say) the same thing as what I already have. Unfortunately, I don't have immediate access to the machine itself. I'll be heading back over next weekend to work on the machine, so hopefully I can get this resolved. As someone who frequently works as the ground-man alongside the tractor, having it creep when you call for a stop is quite disconcerting.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
In the pdf, #1 is an eccentric used to adjust the neutral position of the hydro control.
First, make sure the 4x4 shifter is in 2-wheel drive. Jack up the Right Rear tire off of the ground, block it up and chock the Left Rear tire front and back. leave the Park brake not set or have an operator in the seat holding down the LH brake only. If the RH brake is depressed, the tractor can move.

You can now start the tractor and place the Range in Low. The RR tire should not be turning. If it is moving, loosen the bolt going through the eccentric bushing, put a screwdriver in the slot, and turn the bushing. The tire will either speed up or slow down, so do not lean on it or touch it. Some prefer to remove the wheel so they are not next to a turning tire.

When you get the tire to stop turning, tighten the bolt and cycle the hydro pedal both forward and reverse. If the tire still creeps one direction or the other, adjust the eccentric a little more. When you think you have it adjusted, rev up the engine and cycle the hydro pedal to see that the tire does not creep.

Be patient, it may take a few attempts to get the Sweet Spot.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Loremaster72

Equipment
Sep 21, 2019
Bolivar, OH
Thank you for the detailed information. I'll attempt that this coming weekend when I get back over to my Dad's place. I'll probably leave the tire on, as they are ballasted and I don't really have the equipment to move one that heavy safely if I have a choice.

Loremaster72

Equipment
Sep 21, 2019
Bolivar, OH
Well, I did get over there and the instructions worked like a charm. The machine now goes back to neutral way better than before. The propel pedal is still a little reluctant to come back from reverse into neutral, but not that bad. One thing to note, the adjustment of that cam is through a hole in the side of the center tunnel on a cab machine, so you really can't see all of the linkage shown in the service manual line drawings. I don't see how I would have even known about this without your instructions, whitetiger. Thanks again.