B2920 no start issue?

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
Hi All,

I have a B2920HST and it wont engage starter solenoid not even a click? Here's What I've done. Test Equipment Fluke 289 & Fluke 376.

Tested solenoid excite wire between under panel relay and starter = good continuity

Tested both seat Safety switches = good and working fine

Tested PTO neutral switch and jumped it out = working fine/ no change

Tested HST Pedal neutral safety switch & bypassed it temporarily = Working fine/no change

Tested Large 50A fuse = tested fine

Tested Large 30A fuse = tested fine

Tested & replaced every fuse in fuse box: 5A stop solenoid blown = replaced - now stop solenoid clicks when key is turned, still no starter solenoid

Tested Battery = Perfect (Midtronics EXP 1000)

What am I missing? This thing is Pretty simple....

Does anyone have a schematic?

FattyArbuckle

May 28, 2023
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
Try checking for battery voltage at various points in the circuit when you turn the key switch to start. Be careful as you might inadvertently find the open while you're working on it and the engine could suddenly start cranking. I would suggest hooking the voltmeter up to points in the circuit and then turning the key switch so you are away from any moving parts.

Assuming your continuity checks were valid I would start checking for battery voltage immediately after the key switch and move backwards or forwards depending upon the results of that test. I posted some BX schematics recently; they might be kind of similar.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hi All,

I have a B2920HST and it wont engage starter solenoid not even a click? Here's What I've done. Test Equipment Fluke 289 & Fluke 376.

Tested solenoid excite wire between under panel relay and starter = good continuity

Tested both seat Safety switches = good and working fine

Tested PTO neutral switch and jumped it out = working fine/ no change

Tested HST Pedal neutral safety switch & bypassed it temporarily = Working fine/no change

Tested Large 50A fuse = tested fine

Tested Large 30A fuse = tested fine

Tested & replaced every fuse in fuse box: 5A stop solenoid blown = replaced - now stop solenoid clicks when key is turned, still no starter solenoid

Tested Battery = Perfect (Midtronics EXP 1000)

What am I missing? This thing is Pretty simple....

Does anyone have a schematic?
Suggest you use the attached DENSO starting circuit test procedure.
Often trouble point is attachment of ground cable to tractor frame.
Poor ground connections.jpg

poor positive connection.jpg

Dave

Attachments

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
View attachment 104464
View attachment 104467

Dave
I love that picture Dave. Smile every time I see it. It probably looks about like 25-30% of the OP's who post "it won't start" threads.
(present OP excluded I hope)

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
You say battery was tested.

H-O-W did you test it?
Visually?
DC Voltmeter?
Load Tester? (heater element type) - - other?
Some other method?

Until they get a large current load on them, you can never (with great confidence) know how they'll react when you are asking for max current (GP's then starter)

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
You say battery was tested.

H-O-W did you test it?
Visually?
DC Voltmeter?
Load Tester? (heater element type) - - other?
Some other method?

Until they get a large current load on them, you can never (with great confidence) know how they'll react when you are asking for max current (GP's then starter)
I used the gold standard for testing cranking batteries a Midtronics EXP1000HD. I also have a 500A carbon pile and it passed that too.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I like my little unit(Okay not little), found it at an auction for $160.
1686169901581.png
1686169901581.png

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
My BIL has same tractor

I got off it and he got on it 20 minutes later - dead stick.

I moving the PTO lever back and forth .......... and bullya, she fired right up!

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
My BIL has same tractor

I got off it and he got on it 20 minutes later - dead stick.

I moving the PTO lever back and forth .......... and bullya, she fired right up!
Did all that plus bypassed all those switches, no change. I feel like I am missing a safety switch...

ve9aa

Equipment
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I may have missed it...(I didn't read every single post) .but you say starter (solenoid) won't even click.

Have you used a voltmeter at various points to see if you're even getting voltage there in the first place?
If yes, then start suspecting components/connections.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You might investigate more into why your stop solenoid fuse was blown. That cause could be related to your no start problem. There could be a short or broken wire in the harness. Have you pulled the key switch out to see what the terminals and plug look like?

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
View attachment 104464
View attachment 104467

Dave
Very common and necessary on Yanmar marine engines. Deere uses Yanmar on their smaller stuff. Never seen this issue on a Marinized Kubota.
I may have missed it...(I didn't read every single post) .but you say starter (solenoid) won't even click.

Have you used a voltmeter at various points to see if you're even getting voltage there in the first place?
If yes, then start suspecting components/connections.
Yes voltage is good everywhere. solenoid excite still gets no signal…

FattyArbuckle

May 28, 2023
Very common and necessary on Yanmar marine engines. Deere uses Yanmar on their smaller stuff. Never seen this issue on a Marinized Kubota.

Yes voltage is good everywhere. solenoid excite still gets no signal…
Are you checking voltages with the (probably black/white) wire connected to the solenoid?
if no, connect that wire to the solenoid double check that it has a good connection and then back probe to check the circuit voltages. Are you sure there's not something funky with the connection at the solenoid?
If all of above checks out look for bad ground connections.

FattyArbuckle

May 28, 2023
Are you checking voltages with the (probably black/white) wire connected to the solenoid?
if no, connect that wire to the solenoid double check that it has a good connection and then back probe to check the circuit voltages. Are you sure there's not something funky with the connection at the solenoid?
If all of above checks out look for bad ground connections.
Did you ever verify that the starter itself including the solenoid is okay?

MHT242

Equipment
B3030 & B2920
Apr 2, 2023
maine
Did you ever verify that the starter itself including the solenoid is okay?
Yes, Starter is fine and Cranks perfectly When I use my momentary test switch. Battery is on float charge Victron IP65 charger and voltage everywhere is 13.65V. still no start? Nothing I have done sends 12V to the starter solenoid except bypassing the black/white wire. Something is preventing the black/white from getting its momentary 12V??

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Then start at the starter end of that wire and move towards the key. What else is in that circuit? Every safety switch doesn’t stop the tractor from cranking but some do. Figure out which do. If there is some computer or relay between the key and that starter wire then you will have to figure out what input it needs to output 12 v on the starter wire. Is every input being satisfied? I say probably not.

Try Kubota books dot com for the wiring diagram in owners manual or service manual.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Have you checked the 5 amp fuse to the OPC?

Check you PM's top right.

Start looking at 9-M3

FattyArbuckle

May 28, 2023
So you've proven the battery, starter, & ground circuits are good.
However, I'm confused that you say you measure battery voltage in the circuit. With all circuit components connected, including the blk/wht wire connected to the starter, that wouldn't seem possible to have battery voltage and the starter not to work.
Confirm you are making voltage measurements with all connections in place and backprobing.