B2910 Loader speed

Cumbres

Equipment
B2910
Jun 4, 2019
Andale, KS
A weird question for you all. I have a B2910 with the LA402 (I believe) loader. Works great with dirt. But if I put forks on the tractor (attached to the bucket) or lift a heavy item I find it difficult to feather the controls. With the forks the bucket will rotate down very quickly. With a heavy item I had lifted with the bucket via a chain I also had trouble with the main arms dropping faster then desired even though I thought I was feathering it.

When I operate with just dirt I don't seem to notice either of these issues. Am I just asking too much of the tractor? The load on the chain was very close to max capacity on the loader. Or is there a method to slow the affect of gravity on curl and the main loader arms. I have never removed the loader since I bought the tractor used.

Thanks!

Cumbres

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
A weird question for you all. I have a B2910 with the LA402 (I believe) loader. Works great with dirt. But if I put forks on the tractor (attached to the bucket) or lift a heavy item I find it difficult to feather the controls. With the forks the bucket will rotate down very quickly. With a heavy item I had lifted with the bucket via a chain I also had trouble with the main arms dropping faster then desired even though I thought I was feathering it.

When I operate with just dirt I don't seem to notice either of these issues. Am I just asking too much of the tractor? The load on the chain was very close to max capacity on the loader. Or is there a method to slow the affect of gravity on curl and the main loader arms. I have never removed the loader since I bought the tractor used.

Thanks!

Cumbres
There are three possible control valves for a LA402.

Perhaps that explains a small portion of your control issues. Changhes made to improve performance perhaps.... we will never know.

With forks there have been a few owner's on this forum who have come to grief bending and breaking hydraulic cylinders.

To explain, If you are trying to loosen a rusted nut and your power bar is not providing enough leverage, the next step is to use a piece of pipe slipped over your power bar thus increasing the leverage available.

Your forks are doing the same thing to your bucket cylinders. They greatly increase the forces the bucket cylinders have to manage.

Your loader valve has a built in pressure relief valve. This valve will protect your loader as you try and lift. Once the loader control lever is back in its neutral position, the relief valve is no longer in the circuit protecting your loader.

If you start pushing or back dragging with the forks, the pressures on the loader shoot way up and often damage the cylinders.

You can add flow restrictors to hydraulic circuits. However, they work all the time.

You need to get an Owner's manual for your tractor and loader. Some loader valves have a "quick dump" or regen feature that is active in certain lever positions. Lift arm cylinders can have a float position. You first need to understand what features your particular loader has.

Practice will make loader operation smoother.

Check the joystick lever linkage to make certain nothing has come loose.

Dave