B2782B auger gearbox oil change

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I just drained the gear oil for a change and the old oil looks scungy - like very cloudy or has a lot of stuff suspended in it.
Before adding fresh oil, would a flushing out with something like clear kerosene to clear the bulk of the particulates sticking around inside be advised?
Or maybe run it with some SUDT2 (only holds about a litre of oil) for a few minutes then drain and replace that with the 80W-90 I've got for it?
Just be nice to hear some experienced folks' thoughts, it being a yellow-metal gear set and possibly not be happy with a kerosene or UDT flush.
I could use 80W-90 and drain it after warming again to "flush" the crud. But thinking a lighter solvent would work way better.
OTT?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I did something similar on my previous 'Craigslist beat up phd'. As soon as it was home I drained out the oil. Pretty crummy looking. I got out as much as I could and refilled it with gear oil. Hooked it up and just let it run on the tractor for several minutes. Drain and refill.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
...it being a yellow-metal gear set and possibly not be happy with a kerosene or UDT flush.
With steel gears, I'd go for the flush with something lighter, like a synthetic 5w30. Probably not as light as kerosene.

With yellow? I wouldn't risk it. Buy the cheapest compatible oil you can and flush with that a time or two, then replace with whatever you plan to run.

Reactions: 1 user

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
With steel gears, I'd go for the flush with something lighter, like a synthetic 5w30. Probably not as light as kerosene.

With yellow? I wouldn't risk it. Buy the cheapest compatible oil you can and flush with that a time or two, then replace with whatever you plan to run.
My new gear oil is 80W-90 dino, GL-4 and GL-5 compatible. Are new GL-5 rated oils bad for brass gears in the gearbox?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
-
My new gear oil is 80W-90 dino, GL-4 and GL-5 compatible. Are new GL-5 rated oils bad for brass gears in the gearbox?
Yes! GL5 will attack the brass gears in a gearbox. YOu should only use GL4 gear oil. Today, it is difficult to find a GL4 gear oil, and it is even more difficult to find it in an 80-90-140 configuration.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
-

Yes! GL5 will attack the brass gears in a gearbox. YOu should only use GL4 gear oil. Today, it is difficult to find a GL4 gear oil, and it is even more difficult to find it in an 80-90-140 configuration.
My oil meets GL-4 specifications. GL-5 too.
If the label states it covers GL-4, GL-5, API MT-1, SAE J2360, and Mack Go-J specs, then the GL-4 spec should allow for my use, as the manual asks for SAE 80W90 oil, AGMA 5EP extreme pressure oil or equivalent.
A GL-4 spec says to me it will be yellow metal safe.
IMG_20220416_160226626_HDR.jpg

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
My oil meets GL-4 specifications. GL-5 too.
If the label states it covers GL-4, GL-5, API MT-1, SAE J2360, and Mack Go-J specs, then the GL-4 spec should allow for my use, as the manual asks for SAE 80W90 oil, AGMA 5EP extreme pressure oil or equivalent.
A GL-4 spec says to me it will be yellow metal safe.
View attachment 78419
yes the gl-4 rating should mean its be safe for yellow metals but you have to look at a product info sheet for the copper corosion test or know if the ep additive contains sulfer. I did a little research and what i could find is the motomaster gear oil is made by citgo. i looked at both citgo's premium (LS) gear oil and the premium (MP) gear oil product information sheet (i could not find motomaster product info sheet). I think LS is the limited slip gear oil and MP is the multipurpose oil. The copper corrosion test for the MP oil passed so it is good for yellow metals the LS on the other hand has no test on the info sheet for copper so I would assume its not safe for yellow metals. I have the same blower and I actually use mystic jt-4 marine lower unit gear oil because it had the copper corrision test and is safe for yellow metals.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
yes the gl-4 rating should mean its be safe for yellow metals but you have to look at a product info sheet for the copper corosion test or know if the ep additive contains sulfer. I did a little research and what i could find is the motomaster gear oil is made by citgo. i looked at both citgo's premium (LS) gear oil and the premium (MP) gear oil product information sheet (i could not find motomaster product info sheet). I think LS is the limited slip gear oil and MP is the multipurpose oil. The copper corrosion test for the MP oil passed so it is good for yellow metals the LS on the other hand has no test on the info sheet for copper so I would assume its not safe for yellow metals. I have the same blower and I actually use mystic jt-4 marine lower unit gear oil because it had the copper corrision test and is safe for yellow metals.
Thx very much for the research and info, I'm going to email CTire for the product info on this lube. I use it for other equipment so it being compat would be a bonus!
how did you find citgo made the 80W-90 EP lube? I looked for a while online and some CTire employee answered somewhere it's all made by Shell!

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
well i did see it could be a shell product and somewhere i found a motomaster product on a citgo data sheet. i will see if i can find an link to both websites again.

edit:
here is the shell one and actually it says motomaster is not a shell product but made with shell technology.

and here is the website for the safety data sheet for the motomaster 80w90 extreame pressire gear oil cligk on the picture to download it.
or click this link

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
This debate about compatibility with brass parts has been going on for a number of years, and the general consensus is that if it isn't GL4 oil, don't use it in manual transmissions that have brass synchros in them. If you price out the cost of gears and seals, you will see that it can get expensive quickly if your choice of gear lube causes them harm. It is a lot less expensive to err on the side of caution rather than gambling on a "universally compatibility GL5 gear lube" that may or may not be 100% safe for your application.

nbryan

Equipment
Jan 3, 2019
This debate about compatibility with brass parts has been going on for a number of years, and the general consensus is that if it isn't GL4 oil, don't use it in manual transmissions that have brass synchros in them. If you price out the cost of gears and seals, you will see that it can get expensive quickly if your choice of gear lube causes them harm. It is a lot less expensive to err on the side of caution rather than gambling on a "universally compatibility GL5 gear lube" that may or may not be 100% safe for your application.
This is about my blower auger reduction gear box. Manual transmission synchros are a big concern when it comes to EP additives in GL-5 oils, but GL-4/GL-5 compatible means there's additives to protect yellow metals from corrosion. Unfortunately finding product data with copper corrosion test values for this oil has been a futile effort.

I'm going to use the Motomaster EP gear oil I have to keep the gearbox full over the storage season for my blower. Nothing untoward can happen from oil corrosion if the gearbox isn't in operation all summer, IMO.

I'm going to call my local large Kubota dealership service department supervisor next week and ask what specific they put in B2782B gearboxes, and if my Motomaster EP gear oil is ok for it.

Thanks again for all the feedback about this. Those gearboxes are a really expensive repair/replace and I need it to outlast the rest of the machine if possible!