B2710 Mid-mower PTO Pic Request

Robertsjm711

May 26, 2023
Lebanon, Or
Kubota gurus,
Does anyone have the ability to take a couple of pictures of their B2710 (or equivalent) selector on the transmission, one in the engaged position, and one in neutral?
Last week I bought a 2004 B2710HSD that was offered as “bad trans”, and the only thing that doesn’t work is the mid mower pto. When it is in neutral it spins freely, but when the arm is engaged it kills the engine. I suspect the selector arm (part 100 in image) might be off or 180 out.
Thoughts?
Thanks!
-Jon

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
How about the rear PTO?

Does the rear PTO work normally?

When you shift the lever into the mid PTO position (with the clutch pedal depressed) does the engine stay runnund until you release the clutch pedal?

Tell us more details.

edit: I realize you said everything works normally except for the mid PTO position. Just wanted to clarify that that’s actually what you meant. Have you actually tried some implements using the rear PTO? The more information you can provide the better, since it will help knowledgeable people here to give you some good advice.

Robertsjm711

May 26, 2023
Lebanon, Or
Sure!
Yes, the rear PTO works flawlessly. I put a 5’ brush hog to work, cut through waist high canary reed grass like butter for over an hour. Used the bucket, moved some dirt around (then back again cause it was fun).
When the mid is not engaging, I can spin the shaft freely with my hand. With the engine off, and I engage it and the shaft does not spin. When engine running I attempt to release the clutch slowly with the mid engaged, the engine struggles and although I have not allowed it to die, I believe it would stop the engine or something would break. It sure bucks a lot when I did that, and I did not like it. and yes, with the clutch in I can move the lever to engage the mid pto, the trouble only starts when I begin to release it.
I only had me out where I keep it, and it want until I got home and read about that selector or maybe bent shift arm could be out of place.
I don’t have a mid mower, and won’t be using that feature. It would be nice to know what it is, in the case it could affect other parts of the trans. That and resale value, and it bothers me.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sure!
Yes, the rear PTO works flawlessly. I put a 5’ brush hog to work, cut through waist high canary reed grass like butter for over an hour. Used the bucket, moved some dirt around (then back again cause it was fun).
When the mid is not engaging, I can spin the shaft freely with my hand. With the engine off, and I engage it and the shaft does not spin. When engine running I attempt to release the clutch slowly with the mid engaged, the engine struggles and although I have not allowed it to die, I believe it would stop the engine or something would break. It sure bucks a lot when I did that, and I did not like it. and yes, with the clutch in I can move the lever to engage the mid pto, the trouble only starts when I begin to release it.
I only had me out where I keep it, and it want until I got home and read about that selector or maybe bent shift arm could be out of place.
I don’t have a mid mower, and won’t be using that feature. It would be nice to know what it is, in the case it could affect other parts of the trans. That and resale value, and it bothers me.
I would guess, but do not know, that if the rear PTO works fine then the linkage connected between the selector level and the transmission is probably aligned properly.

I have a B2910 essentially identical. I’ve never used the mid PTO and never even selected it. So all I can think to say is: Do you expect to ever use the middle PTO? If not, like me, never needing the mid PTO in 20 years, it might not matter. Even if something is not right.

Hopefully someone here that is much more qualified can give you some meaningful advice.