B26TLB or L3301HST

rxdad2012

Equipment
2020 Kubota BX23S and 1978 Ford 2600
Aug 7, 2020
Claiborne County, TN
Which is a better purchase?

2014 L3301HST with FEL and backhoe and bush hog. 600hrs. Mostly used for field work. Seller is asking 22,000

or

2010 B26TLB, with 275hrs. Private seller (non commercial use). The backhoe has the hydraulic thumb. Other than a busted spot in the front grill, it’s in like new condition, stored in a garage when not used. Seller wants 23,800

which is the best purchase and why? Thanks

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Which is a better purchase?

2014 L3301HST with FEL and backhoe and bush hog. 600hrs. Mostly used for field work. Seller is asking 22,000

or

2010 B26TLB, with 275hrs. Private seller (non commercial use). The backhoe has the hydraulic thumb. Other than a busted spot in the front grill, it’s in like new condition, stored in a garage when not used. Seller wants 23,800

which is the best purchase and why? Thanks
I think you'll get about the same comments you got on TBN - lots of the regulars here post there too. (I don't). I notice you discovered the TLB has the hydraulic thumb. That adds considerably. I put a manual thumb on my L35 and it's handy for rocks and trees, but I can see the hydraulic would be handier.

Are you planning to keep the 2600? You'll get better answers if you state your property and needs.

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
It depends. :)

The B26TLB is a machine made for rental fleets, it's built solid. I think it's hard to remove the FEL (if at all), and not sure how easily the backhoe comes off, and a 3ph goes on.

The L3301 has more HP and is a bigger/stronger machine. If you're not using the backhoe a lot it's the better buy - it's a bit cheaper and a better machine. If you're doing a lot of TLB work, the fact the B26 is a dedicated TLB machine may make it a better buy - so if you're planning to run a contracting business for example it's the right machine. For hobby use or farming the L is a better choice in my mind.

Reactions: 1 users

rxdad2012

Equipment
Aug 7, 2020
Claiborne County, TN
I think you'll get about the same comments you got on TBN - lots of the regulars here post there too. (I don't). I notice you discovered the TLB has the hydraulic thumb. That adds considerably. I put a manual thumb on my L35 and it's handy for rocks and trees, but I can see the hydraulic would be handier.

Are you planning to keep the 2600? You'll get better answers if you state your property and needs.
Thanks TreeBoy! I have 6 acres, mostly grass and hills, a pond I want to expand, and some water entries and exits to fix. So i bush hog about 3 acres several times each mowing season. I doubt I will ever cut for hay and bale the acreage. So i realize a rental would probably get everything done that I need but, my 3 kids are almost grown and so I guess I'm looking for something to do with mid-life LOL! I think the tractor will be one I keep for good when I finally buy. I may eventually take small jobs digging trenches, etc for people. So the B26 may be the safer bet?

rxdad2012

Equipment
Aug 7, 2020
Claiborne County, TN
It depends. :)

The B26TLB is a machine made for rental fleets, it's built solid. I think it's hard to remove the FEL (if at all), and not sure how easily the backhoe comes off, and a 3ph goes on.

The L3301 has more HP and is a bigger/stronger machine. If you're not using the backhoe a lot it's the better buy - it's a bit cheaper and a better machine. If you're doing a lot of TLB work, the fact the B26 is a dedicated TLB machine may make it a better buy - so if you're planning to run a contracting business for example it's the right machine. For hobby use or farming the L is a better choice in my mind.
Thanks for the input, Paul. I may delve into some paying side projects for people, trench digging, etc. So the B26 may be the way to go. I own a 1978 Ford 2600 so I can always delegate that to garden tilling, bush hogging, etc

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Thanks for the input, Paul. I may delve into some paying side projects for people, trench digging, etc. So the B26 may be the way to go. I own a 1978 Ford 2600 so I can always delegate that to garden tilling, bush hogging, etc
For a digging machine, the B26 is the way to go. (Hope it's a small pond :)). It's narrower and shorter than the 2000 and probably has the R4 tires which are harder, so it rides rougher and won't be as stable on side slopes. So it wouldn't be an improvement over the 2000 as a mowing machine, except for the improved maneuverability from the hst. Just some things to think about. Good luck.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I would opt for a tractor that has a removable backhoe if the b26 tlb is not..

Only downside is the emissions on the l3301

Need to investigate more on those issues before you make a decision

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I would opt for a tractor that has a removable backhoe if the b26 tlb is not..

Only downside is the emissions on the l3301

Need to investigate more on those issues before you make a decision
I’m not familiar with a B26, but I assume the backhoe should come off easy enough. I’ve got a friend with a B21 and he’s had his hoe off several times till he found an excavator with much more capability.

gened14

Equipment
Kubota B26 TLB, ZD 1211, ZG23, Allis Chalmers D17 series IV, Allis Chalmers 170
Jul 7, 2014
Tennessee
I’m not familiar with a B26, but I assume the backhoe should come off easy enough. I’ve got a friend with a B21 and he’s had his hoe off several times till he found an excavator with much more capability.
I have a B26TLB and the backhoe does come off and three point hitch arms get pinned on. It takes me about 30 min to do all of that. With practice and a little more skill that time would drop considerably.
The loader isn't meant to come off frequently.
The tractor was designed for commercial use and seems almost indestructible.
Kubota concrete.JPG