B26TLB not working in 2wd

timefarmer

Equipment
B26tlb
Oct 16, 2022
Texas
Ok gents need some advise from the wise.
4wd works but back tires seemingly no power unless i use diff lock

Engage 2wd nothing unless i use diff lock

Tried left right brake with 2wd engaged. Hit right brake it goes forward hit left brake nothing. So it seems to me no right rear wheel power. Is this correct? Any other diagnosis i need to perform?
And what/how do i fix this?

timefarmer

Equipment
B26tlb
Oct 16, 2022
Texas
broken axle or broken diff. Probably axle. Gonna have to pull it apart to find out.
Ok thats what i figured. Im sure pulling it apart is not easy as axle is behind frame on b26.
Can anyone post the rear axle section of the b26 workshop manual for me? I cant find the workshop manual online so a full document would be much appreciated!

timefarmer

Equipment
B26tlb
Oct 16, 2022
Texas
Also another symptom i noticed.. in a super tight turn with 4wd on i hear a metal thunk sound from back right axle area

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ok thats what i figured. Im sure pulling it apart is not easy as axle is behind frame on b26.
Can anyone post the rear axle section of the b26 workshop manual for me? I cant find the workshop manual online so a full document would be much appreciated!
This just might be the time to buy yourself a copy of the workshop manual!

timefarmer

Equipment
B26tlb
Oct 16, 2022
Texas
Personally a pdf copy would be better anyways as i can store it online and not lose it due to water fire grease etc... do they have a pdf available anywhere i have not been able to find one for sale or download from a legit looking source

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yea dealership wanted 80 bucks for one... me over here wondering why kubota doesnt just post pdf free. Not exactly stacked in cash around here :(
$80 from your dealer is apparently a very good deal.
Cheapest USED one on E-Bay is $122.
New one on E-Bay is $199.

Though I don't need it often, (because Kubotas are reliable) I would not want to be muddling through a major repair on my Kubota L48 TLB without a WSM.
Access to one page or one paragraph, could prevent a costly mistake!

Last edited:

#40Fan

Jul 21, 2022
USA
From the looks of the .pdf file, if the axle was broken (snapped in two), it would have pulled itself out of the housing since it is only retained by the Cir-clip. Axle could still be damaged where the larger gear slips onto it. Could be the gear as well.

Looks like a fun job!

timefarmer

Equipment
B26tlb
Oct 16, 2022
Texas
From the looks of the .pdf file, if the axle was broken (snapped in two), it would have pulled itself out of the housing since it is only retained by the Cir-clip. Axle could still be damaged where the larger gear slips onto it. Could be the gear as well.

Looks like a fun job!
Thanks any other tests or diags i could do to get more info before taking apart?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Are you taking a poll or working up the nerve to start? LOL

You're going to find the answer when you pull that axle case off. Be careful.

You can use the stabilizers to raise it up to get the tire and wheel off. Block it up. Drain the fluid, including plugs at the bull gear cases, assuming it has them. Then remove whatever's in the way and unbolt the case. Be careful, that stuff's heavy.

timefarmer

Equipment
B26tlb
Oct 16, 2022
Texas
Are you taking a poll or working up the nerve to start? LOL

You're going to find the answer when you pull that axle case off. Be careful.

You can use the stabilizers to raise it up to get the tire and wheel off. Block it up. Drain the fluid, including plugs at the bull gear cases, assuming it has them. Then remove whatever's in the way and unbolt the case. Be careful, that stuff's heavy.
Just gathering info gonna be a few days before i have a space ready to pull it apart