B2650 Won't Keep Running Acts Like Not Getting Fuel?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Just wondering if any of you have a suggestion for me to try before trying to take the tractor back to the dealer?

I'm mowing with my B2650 which is on the original tank of fuel (tractor has maybe 20 hours). Fuel was getting low (down to 2 bars last time I noticed) and suddenly it started missing so I shut it down. Checking gauge it showed no bars so I assume I'd run it dry. I know that was carless on my part.

Anyway I go to the busy station/truck stop where I always buy fuel and refill it from a new gas can I had to buy at Dollar General with 5 gallons of fresh fuel. Surprisingly it starts right up within a few seconds of cranking. I let it idle for 20-30 seconds and shut it off like it says to bleed the system. Then restart and mow for another 30 minutes without a problem.

Then after 30 minutes the same thing occurs it starts missing and comes to a halt. Fuel gauge shows full. It starts and runs rough for 5 seconds then smooths out to normal. I shut it down to bleed the system again then restart and after running fine for 15-20 seconds it stumbles and quits again. This repeats over and over.

Fuel filter bowl is full and clear but I remove it and the filter anyway (which looks perfect) and reinstall. Start tractor, shut down, then restart and it runs fine for 20 seconds and stumbles and stops again. This repeats maybe a dozen times on the way back to the garage where I finally get it put away.

Thoughts? Bad fuel seems unlikely considering where I got it yet it acts fuel related almost like a lawn mower engine with the gas tank cap vent plugged. (I did remove the tractor fuel cap and there was no vacuum.)

Added; air filter and housing is perfectly clean.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
FWIW talked to dealer just now. He said I could try cracking open (unscrewing) the injectors, turn on the key to run until fuel escapes around the threads, then tighten them back up. If that doesn't work they'll come out. So I'll try that tomorrow.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Diesel? Absolutely sure.

Not sucking air that I can determine, nothing was touched other than adding fuel.

It's at our other home which I'll be at in a day or so. I'll bleed at the injectors, if that doesn't do it it'll be up to them.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Try loosening the fuel tank cap and see if it makes a difference. The caps are vented to allow enough air into the tank to keep it from creating a vacuum as fuel is used, but sometimes they don't work.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
FWIW talked to dealer just now. He said I could try cracking open (unscrewing) the injectors, turn on the key to run until fuel escapes around the threads, then tighten them back up. If that doesn't work they'll come out. So I'll try that tomorrow.
Oliver, I'd NOT unscrew the injectors, simply loosen the fuel line TO the injectors. Right on the top of the injectors is a nut, unscrew there a couple of turns and make sure you're getting fuel without air bubbles.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Change the fuel filters...
Is there more than one? The one I'm aware of is located outside the engine and as mentioned I removed it and it looks brand new, not a spec of dirt particles or darkening and no separated liquid (water) in the bowl. Is there also one in the tank?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I maybe wrong but, I think if you look on the right side of the tractor on frame on the outside theres on there, and there maybe another one ( inline) before it goes into the rail

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Re: B2650 Won't Keep Running Acts Like Not Getting Fuel? *SOLVED*

Issue solved. The fuel line to the filter bowl was mostly blocked with some slime, probably some residue from the very clean "appearing" 2 jug that I used. Pulled that line away from the fuel filter bowl and there it was. My stupid fault.

What was baffling is I had the filter out three times (checking it twice then replacing it) and each time after reinstalling the bowl I watched it fill up with fuel rather rapidly. Nevertheless it's running like it should just like nothing happened.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I maybe wrong but, I think if you look on the right side of the tractor on frame on the outside theres on there, and there maybe another one ( inline) before it goes into the rail
B series have only one fuel filter.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
I am having EXACTLY the same issue, started this afternoon after work. Only 1 month old, 40 hours, bought out of state so a trip to the dealer is not so easy, so i'll give it a shot on my own.I got the same exact time of running, 30 min, before bogging down and dying out. Was able to restart each time and got it back to the garage after a few occurrences.

A few questions for you. How did you shut fuel off? or did you just drain tank. Dont see a shutoff. Took line off thinking vacuum would hold fluid back, no luck, fluid everywhere. Was there a reason you started at that hose. Most likely something wouldn't make it down the line, the filter would intercept it, right? Is it possible for something large enough to get stuck in a line after the filter?

So glad I searched and stumbled across your thread!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Mike,

It occurred again today while mowing. I don't know if it is a coincidence but I'd just topped it off again with my new 2 gallon gas can (with diesel).

Anyway it was the same thing. This time I had a pair of pliers and rag in the tool box. Pull the line to the filter bowl, I believe it's the one on the left side of the bowl when looking at it. A strong stream of fuel should flow out. In my case there was a blob of something there that once removed flowed better. Put it back and tractor ran ok for 20 seconds then quit. Pulled the line again and fuel was just trickling out but I saw another blob and using the needle nose pliers into the hose puled that out, fuel then flowed out like it should, put it back and all's fine.

It appears the nipple that the hose slides over is what dams up the fuel blob stopping it from entering the bowl.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
So yesterday I drained the tank, took the hose/filter off and there was somehow a large tick on the top of the filter assembly. I thought that must be it. I took the filter out, inspected it, all looked good, put everything back together, started it up, ran GREAT. Let it idle for ten minutes, drove up and down driveway a few times, all was good. Decided I would go down back and finish up a small 30 minute job with the backhoe to make sure all was well. As soon as I hit the first bump on my path to the back woods, same symptoms started again. So I limped it back to the garage and I will start over again tomorrow, maybe start taking some more hoses off and inspecting them.

I'm thinking its either happening when its on uneven terrain or when it warms up. Odd how it will run for 15-30 minutes and then act up. I will continue to mess around with it tonight.

Very frustrated here.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Just thinking back on my findings last night. The flow from the hose when removed from the filter was full flow. With the hose reconnected, but the filter and bowl removed (so basically the flow of fuel into the filter bowl, if connected), the flow was a trickle.

Should the flow from the end of the hose be the same as the flow after passing through the nipple and upper portion of the filter assembly, or is the flow supposed to restrict as it flows through the upper part of the filter assembly?