B2650 Width With Turf Tires?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I'm considering a B2650 with turf tires and 60" mmm and trying to determine about how far that deck extends beyond the tires. Anyone have this set-up that could measure? Thanks.

I tried to figure it out on Kubota's site but Kubota's specs list the tractor "overall width min. tread" (not exactly sure what "min tread" is because I didn't think they were adjustable?) at 53.7" with farm tires. Turf tires are 1.2" wider than Farm tires but I'm not sure about the farm vs turf wheels back spacing. In other words does all of the additional 1.2" extend out? If so that would be 56.1" which might allow for only 1" wheel extenders.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have a 2650 with loaded turfs and the Kubota 1 5/8" wheel spacers on it. It measures roughly 60" wide counting the bulge of the sidewalls. My understanding is that you can't put the smaller of the two MMM on with wheel spacers for sure. The dealer I got my tractor from said he wasn't willing to commit to the larger one. Seems like I remember someone on the forum that had successfully put the bigger one on with wheel spacers.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Thanks sheepfarmer that's what I wanted to know. 1 1/2" beyond the tire track for the 60" mmm will preclude adding spacers so I just need to be sure it's stable enough in stock form w/o filled tires.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I did go out and measure the width of my B2650 with turf tires. The rear tire width is 57", total 60 "mmm width is 63", with a 60" cut of course. Hope this can help you.

zin01

Sep 8, 2016
Royse City
I don't know what you're property is like but my B2650 is pretty stable. No loaded tires and I have the R4's tires. Also just so you know that 60" mid mount mower mows awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I don't know what you're property is like but my B2650 is pretty stable. No loaded tires and I have the R4's tires. Also just so you know that 60" mid mount mower mows awesome.
Thanks zin01. Where I use the tractor it's mostly rolling so not too steep. My tractor is a B7500 which has 3 adjustable wheel positions. It came with them in the narrowest setting and to me it felt just a little tippy on one of the side slopes I mow so I moved them out to the middle setting which is where they've been ever since. B2650 is higher but its wheel width is probably 6" wider so I'm sure it'll be fine for my use.

Glad to hear you're pleased with the 60" deck. On my +&- list comparing B2650 vs B2601 I have a + beside the B2650's ground contact deck and I'm pretty much decided on 2650 with turf's, 60" deck, FEL with QA 60" bucket and 3rd function, and extendable rear links. Am I forgetting anything? I'll then pick up a grapple either LP or Wicked Root. It only makes sense to shop a couple dealers and I'm already dreading that LOL. Currently Kubota has $1,000 back on the tractor with two implements through the end of the year but I don't have room for both tractors. I have to think they'll have something similar come Spring and then should be a better time to sell my B7500. But I guess it wouldn't hurt to try an ad in CR now.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Another thing that will help with stability is loading the rear tires. It adds the weight down low which helps both with wanting to tip sideways and carrying heavy loads in the bucket.

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
I leave my rotary cutter on my B2650 all the time. I don't feel safe without it on, even with filled rear tires. I have a sloped area down to a pond with erosion ruts running through it. Lifted two wheels on two separate occasions. So that is my insurance policy. When I get an implement that is a little shorter like a box blade or a tiller, I'll swap out the RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I leave my rotary cutter on my B2650 all the time....
Do you just leave the loader on?

When I purchased my B7500 the dealer "threw in" a balast box, (probably did because I was paying too much LOL). I'm glad he did but I only use it when the FEL is on. I plan on keeping it.

wngnut

Equipment
2015 B2650HSDC W/Loader
Apr 14, 2016
Iowa
I don't believe the 60" deck on the B2650 is designed to be "ground contacting". I know when I was shopping for mine there seemed to be a lot of confusion on this. I have the 72" deck and it is designed to run on ground supported by the big wheels on each corner of the deck. Someone with a 60" deck will need to verify but I believe it's designed to "float" or suspend under the tractor and has scalp wheels to only contact the ground on uneven ground.

Personally, I hated the way my 72 deck worked running on the ground. My ground is pretty rough and it really felt like you were dragging the deck around. The other issue was all the tire marks it make because of the extra four wheels on the deck running on the ground....especially when you backed up to make a turn or go around something. After reading that someone else on here was doing it, I raised the four corner wheels on the deck and set the stop on my 3point lever to set my cutting height and then lowered the four corner deck wheel back down to just above ground. Now it acts like a "suspended" deck. It runs smoother and the yard looks much better after I mow.

I would not put the "ground engaging" deck in the + column.

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
I don't believe the 60" deck on the B2650 is designed to be "ground contacting". I know when I was shopping for mine there seemed to be a lot of confusion on this. I have the 72" deck and it is designed to run on ground supported by the big wheels on each corner of the deck. Someone with a 60" deck will need to verify but I believe it's designed to "float" or suspend under the and has scalp wheels to only contact the ground on uneven ground.

Personally, I hated the way my 72 deck worked running on the ground. My ground is pretty rough and it really felt like you were dragging the deck around. The other issue was all the tire marks it make because of the extra four wheels on the deck running on the ground....especially when you backed up to make a turn or go around something. After reading that someone else on here was doing it, I raised the four corner wheels on the deck and set the stop on my 3point lever to set my cutting height and then lowered the four corner deck wheel back down to just above ground. Now it acts like a "suspended" deck. It runs smoother and the yard looks much better after I mow.

I would not put the "ground engaging" deck in the + column.

The 60" deck does ride on the ground. It rides on bogey wheels on the front corners of the deck and on a pair in the middle on the rear of the deck along with anti scalp wheels that are set above that. The system works very well on the deck and mows great.

View attachment 25604

Last edited:

MikeyA

Equipment
2016 B2650 FEL and 60"mmm,1998 B2400 MMM FEL(sold!) BB 4ft BRUSH HOG
Mar 6, 2010
West Central Illinois
I had the identical system on my B2400 as the B2650 has...it was still going strong at 1750hrs!! The one area that I think will require more maintenance on the mmm will be driveshaft u joints. The B2650 has quite a bit more ground clearance, therefore the deck sits farther below the pto shaft. The u joint angle is much more severe on my 2650 than it was on my 2400. It doesnt take much of a dip in yard, or when mowing ditches, for me to feel a vibration from mower driveshaft due to ujoint angle. If I lift deck, vibration goes away. My B2400 would do this too, but only when mowing across a ditch that allowed mower to drop quite a ways below tractor...about the same distance as my B2650 with turfs runs at under normal conditions.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
The 60" deck does ride on the ground. It rides on bogey wheels on the front corners of the deck and on a pair in the middle on the rear of the deck along with anti scalp wheels that are set above that. The system works very well on the deck and mows great.
View attachment 25604

The 54" deck on my current B7500 is the same, I really like how it follows the undulations of the ground and it cuts great.

I had the identical system on my B2400 as the B2650 has...it was still going strong at 1750hrs!! The one area that I think will require more maintenance on the mmm will be driveshaft u joints. The B2650 has quite a bit more ground clearance, therefore the deck sits farther below the pto shaft. The u joint angle is much more severe on my 2650 than it was on my 2400. It doesnt take much of a dip in yard, or when mowing ditches, for me to feel a vibration from mower driveshaft due to ujoint angle....
Thanks for posting this Mikey, you raise a valid point. I saw the benefit of the extra ground clearance a B2650 has over my 7500. I'm also quite aware how more shaft angle is harder on u-joints but just assumed Kubota understood this and compensated with a longer drive shaft or angled the tractor's pto spline shaft slightly down and the mower deck up the same degree. But it sounds like they didn't. One thing in my favor is I never mow below 3.5" so the gauge wheels are extended most of the way but obviously the deck drops further when encountering a dip.
In reality I'm not a "lawn fanatic" at all so I'm sure I'll be happy with either decks cut, B2601 suspended or ground contact deck of a B2650. For mowing the 2601 at 200# less weight was attractive but after adding it's 300#+ deck it's actually heaver (2650's contact deck is carried on it's own wheels).

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I bought a B2320 this year and opted for a rear finish mower. I felt that the ease of removing it was a plus for me since I also use a box blade and FEL. I like to be able to take off the implements when not using them. It's also makes sharpening the blades much easier. It does take a while to get used to the mower in the rear but once you adapt it cuts just as well as the mid mower in my opinion and as long as you have the sways adjusted the mower tracks true.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Missouribound you make a good argument about your rear mower vs a mmm, points I've been mulling myself. While it's not too difficult to remove and install a mmm there's no doubt it's easier doing the same with a rear mower. Currently the mower deck is on pretty much all mowing season even when I use the FEL but I'm anticipating more use clearing trees and working on our atv trails and it'd be better w/o a mmm.
I'm actually considering a flail mower if I can be convinced it'll accomplish everything that a mmm (or rear mower) and a rotary cutter can.
Maneuvering on our trails with a flail should be easier since they typically only project back around 3' so maybe I'd even be able to mow the weeds down a couple times a year?

bdale

Jul 24, 2016
N.C.
I had the identical system on my B2400 as the B2650 has...it was still going strong at 1750hrs!! The one area that I think will require more maintenance on the mmm will be driveshaft u joints. The B2650 has quite a bit more ground clearance, therefore the deck sits farther below the pto shaft. The u joint angle is much more severe on my 2650 than it was on my 2400. It doesnt take much of a dip in yard, or when mowing ditches, for me to feel a vibration from mower driveshaft due to ujoint angle. If I lift deck, vibration goes away. My B2400 would do this too, but only when mowing across a ditch that allowed mower to drop quite a ways below tractor...about the same distance as my B2650 with turfs runs at under normal conditions.

I have a new B2650 with a 60 in. MMM and while it is designed to ride on the ground I use mine suspended since my land is a little to rough in my opinion to roll across the ground. Plan on doing some leveling this spring, the deck mows just fine use the adjustable rear link to level the deck and the three point height adjustment to set the mowing height. Use the little lock screw knob to set it to the same height every time.;)

mpham

Equipment
B 2650 cab
Nov 15, 2016
Massachusetts
To get back to the original question. I just measured mine and from the widest point (bulge in tire) to the widest point is 56 inches.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Oliver I have a Caroni flail mower for my L3560, and it is handy for the reason you mention, it sticks out the back less far and so is easy to maneuver. It is also a little less likely to throw rocks. There is at least one OTT member that put the same size flail on a B2650. The consensus of at least one thread was that if you get the finish type blades for it, it will provide a very nice cut. I have mine with brush cutting knives for mowing brambles and tall pasture, as in two or three feet when I get to it, so it doesn't look wonderful when I get done as it is set to cut quite high, but not bad either. Search the forum under Caroni flail and you will find several threads with pictures. Tractor Tools Direct sells them. Good service.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Thanks Sheepfarmer. I started researching flails here and on another site and Caroni's get good reviews. I'll look for the thread you mention. Another one I like is a Perozzi Fox 1600S. I may have spelled that wrong I'm not on my computer, replying via phone.