B2650 Transmission and Hydraulic Filters

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Back Story: In an effort to save some money, I crossed the Kubota filter numbers to NAPA/Wix numbers and used the NAPA filters last time I serviced the tractor. Worked fine, but it felt like the noise level was higher and the hydraulics for the loader, 3 point and steering took NOTICEABLY longer to warm up and work correctly this Winter.

Since the only thing different was the filters, I decided to go back to genuine Kubota filters. To refresh my memory, I looked in both my WSM and the owner's manual to remember which filter was which and which number went where.

Both references point out the forward facing filter on the right side of the trans (as you're sitting in the seat) as the transmission filter. However, the filter number that all references I could find calls the transmission filter WILL NOT fit on that mount. I had hoped to do a quick change with minimal loss of fluid but by the time I figured out I was trying to put the filter in the wrong place and spun the old filter back on, I'd lost over half of it. Fortunately I bought a 5 gallon bucket of UDT2 while I was there.

Long story short, the filter on the right, while it may indeed be the transmission filter, uses the filter Kubota sells as the hydraulic filter and the one they sell as the transmission filter goes on the other side and faces outward to the left.

No harm done other than an early transmission oil change and a mess on the garage floor, but I wonder if the filters are mislabeled or the book is wrong or what? Someone doing their first maintenance could get seriously confused.

Also, the tractor does seem quieter with the genuine Kubota filters. If I were to guess, I'd say the NAPA filters were causing some restriction.

tthorkil

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M9540HDC12 / LX2610HSDC / ZD1011-48 / Bobcat S250
Jan 1, 2011
Bagley, MN, United States
I compared the LX2610 manual with this B2650 manual when someone on this site found the same issue with the LX2610 manuals to inform Kubota that one of the manuals were wrong - they edited the LX2610 manual to reflect what is in this B2650 manual - I am thinking that they must have edited the B2650 manual to correct this and that your manual is incorrect(out-dated).
B2650 Operators Manual

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I compared the LX2610 manual with this B2650 manual when someone on this site found the same issue with the LX2610 manuals to inform Kubota that one of the manuals were wrong - they edited the LX2610 manual to reflect what is in this B2650 manual - I am thinking that they must have edited the B2650 manual to correct this and that your manual is incorrect(out-dated).
B2650 Operators Manual
Interesting.

I informed Kubota (not dealer) personnel twice that the Operator's Manuals for the B3350 (and LX3310) are incorrect concerning mounting up to 3 front weights to the front frame without a front weight bracket as can be done on the 2650 and earlier models. Nearly 4 years later, no change (unless recently made).

SDT

Dennis.D

Equipment
L6060, Erskine hydraulic snow blower, back hoe
Feb 16, 2018
Central, ME,USA
The last time I changed my hydro filter, my son-in-law was there. So I had him pinch off the vent. I think it helped with some of the fluid loss. I have always used the Kubota filters. (choking on the $) At least your experience makes me feel a little better about the oem filters.