B2650 Loaded tires with mowing

461mike

Equipment
BX2200 w/front snowblower, B2650, 54" box scrapper, grapple, 6' plow
Sep 19, 2014
menomonie
I searched but could not find any threads on this question, so I apologize if this was asked.

I have a B2650 and am thinking of adding more weight in the back end. I thought about loading the tires ( turf) but want to know will it cause a rougher ride for summer mowing. I do not see wheel weight as an option. I have moved over 1.2 million pounds of fill over last two years but need to add more weight as I blew a steering knuckle seal. Iam using a box scraper with a large tree trunk strapped to back to add more weight.

Thanks in advanced.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I've used RimGuard (beet juice) in the last 2 tractors I have owned and never noticed a difference in the ride. RimGrard is about 11 pounds a gallon so it's the heaviest ballast I know of for loading the tires. I got my 15-19.5 R4's on the LX loaded for $205 it added 310 pounds per tire.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
More weight on the rear axle is not going to help the steering one bit.
Weight on a ballast box helps with that.

Reactions: 1 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
My rear turf tires are loaded with rim guard and I wouldn't say they made for a rough ride. If anything I would say they give it a smoother ride.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Iam using a box scraper with a large tree trunk strapped to back to add more weight.
Love to see a picture of that.

In theory, since liquid displaces air volume in the tire, a liquid filled tire will increase internal tire pressure more when deformed than a totally air filled tire will. How much this makes a difference in the real world I do not know.

BUT the liquid will increase side slope stability. Like everything else in life there is a trade off.

Myself, at 75 years old in a few days, I do not worry about bouncing around on my tractors. But everyone is different.

Make the change if you so desire and see what the results are in your personal case. It is what I would do. Adding tire ballast will certainly not make things smoother. It is just a matter of how much rougher the ride might be.

AND like Gallows said, it is possible that the extra weight might actually reduce the bounce the tractor experiences...more things to consider that just the first obvious ones...

461mike

Equipment
Sep 19, 2014
menomonie
Love to see a picture of that.

In theory, since liquid displaces air volume in the tire, a liquid filled tire will increase internal tire pressure more when deformed than a totally air filled tire will. How much this makes a difference in the real world I do not know.

BUT the liquid will increase side slope stability. Like everything else in life there is a trade off.

Myself, at 75 years old in a few days, I do not worry about bouncing around on my tractors. But everyone is different.

Make the change if you so desire and see what the results are in your personal case. It is what I would do. Adding tire ballast will certainly not make things smoother. It is just a matter of how much rougher the ride might be.

AND like Gallows said, it is possible that the extra weight might actually reduce the bounce the tractor experiences...more things to consider that just the first obvious ones...
I'm 46 but have had 3 back surgeries. 3 fused vertebrae and 8 rods. I have to limit the bounce and I added a suspension seat to the suspension that the 2650 already came with giving me just over 3" of travel. which has helped but can always be improved. That is why I am hesitant about the rim guard. Can't afford to make it worse. 4 acres takes me about 6-7 hours to mow as I have to do it in L range and I am in NW Wisconsin so the moles and pocket gophers really make those bumps even worse

I will need to look for that picture. They don't make wheel weights for my tractor from what I know and do know need the most weight as far back as possible.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I'm 46 but have had 3 back surgeries. 3 fused vertebrae and 8 rods. I have to limit the bounce and I added a suspension seat to the suspension that the 2650 already came with giving me just over 3" of travel. which has helped but can always be improved. That is why I am hesitant about the rim guard. Can't afford to make it worse. 4 acres takes me about 6-7 hours to mow as I have to do it in L range and I am in NW Wisconsin so the moles and pocket gophers really make those bumps even worse

I will need to look for that picture. They don't make wheel weights for my tractor from what I know and do know need the most weight as far back as possible.
I apologize for jacking the thread a bit. 461, I was in a similar situation. It took over 4 hours to mow and my back couldn't take it. I bought a Ferris zero turn mower (full suspension), and now I can mow in under 2 hours and still walk the next day.

As far as the tractor, I feel like there is less bounce with the rear tires filled. Mine is a 2650 with turfs, it may be quite different with other models or other tires. I also always have the Fel on, and either the BH or the box blade, that may make a difference.

461mike

Equipment
Sep 19, 2014
menomonie
I apologize for jacking the thread a bit. 461, I was in a similar situation. It took over 4 hours to mow and my back couldn't take it. I bought a Ferris zero turn mower (full suspension), and now I can mow in under 2 hours and still walk the next day.

As far as the tractor, I feel like there is less bounce with the rear tires filled. Mine is a 2650 with turfs, it may be quite different with other models or other tires. I also always have the Fel on, and either the BH or the box blade, that may make a difference.
I have turf tires but cant run box blade as on same system for blade and mower. I usually hav e FEL on. Bucket might be on or off depending on who's mowing as my wife will mow to help out and she wants bucket off, She says she really enjoys mowing which surprised her.

I will look into filling tires. I know dealer does it but they want $$$ and am pretty sure the one tire shop which does big tractor tires did and heard they were good and reasonable. At least before Covid.