B2650 / BH77 Backhoe worth it?

Marco

Equipment
B2650
Dec 16, 2019
Clarksville, NH
I have a B2650 but no backhoe. I went shopping for a backhoe and the sales women said to me don't waste your money go rent one for the few times you would use it. She said they are good for planting saplings and such and are not strong enough to remove big stumps 12"+ or build a rock retaining wall. I don't want to drop $9K to find out she was right.
I'd be interested in hearing from you guys who have this backhoe and is she right?

Sodark

Equipment
2018 B2650 HST ROPS, BH77 Backhoe
May 15, 2018
Pacific Northwest US
I bought mine, same combo, last year. Worth it in my opinion. Definitely not cheap, but damn is it nice to have that thing available for all the things I never would have anticipated or imagined I'd use it for. Most recently: blackberry removal. Original plans were for removal of vinyl fence posts secured 3-4' in ground with a metric f-ton of concrete at the base and filled (in the post) 2-3' above ground. If I can't lift it straight out with the bucket or forks, I turn around and dig it out, jostle it around then lift it out w/FEL. Also going to be doing a lot of trenching and digging a pond. If money wasn't a factor, no, I wouldn't have bought it. I'd have bought the B2650 AND a mini-ex.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I suppose it depends on what types of jobs you are trying to do... retaining walls, no problem, 12" stumps, they are a problem unless you have lots of patience and time on your hands. They'll dig stumps, but you're going to be digging a large hole, and it's going to take a while.

If you're only doing the odd job once/year, then renting a small excavator is the way to go. Me, personally, I wouldn't have a CUT tractor without a hoe. I use mine quite frequently.

I will say that the BH77 is quite capable. It has pretty good power and reasonable digging depth. It also has a 180 degree swing which is pretty uncommon in this size hoe.

My suggestion would be to let us know what types of jobs you are planning on doing (and how many 12" stumps you're dealing with). If you have lots of stumps, that excavator would make your life (and the life of your tractor) much easier.

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I have only a little bit of experience here, but I've come to the conclusion that a compact tractor backhoe doesn't remove the usefullness of a stump grinder. I feel on larger stump, grinding the stump down some would make the 'core' weak enough to let the backhoe break it up and tear the roots out much easier. I haven't tested this method yet. I don't really like leaving stumps - much nicer to pull the whole tree down with the stump, but you still need to dig first.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Not all stumps are created equally. Pine tree roots travel across the earth, and rarely go down very deeply, and that is why they topple over frequently when the ground is saturated, and strong winds blow. Oaks on the other hand send down deep roots, and are much more difficult to dig out. A lot also has to do with the type of soils the trees are growing in. Too many variables to make a broad statement about the ability of the tractor when it comes to stumps.
If you are thinking of digging out stumps, plan in advance, and cut the tree up high, so you have some leverage to pulling the stump over after you dig around it.

Reactions: 1 user

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
The tractor mounted back hoe is not going to be the equivalent of a excavator or a dedicated unit. If the tractor backhoe will do the jobs you need in the time you have then all is good. Heck, a tractor is not exactly the best tool for most jobs. But it can do a wide variety of jobs pretty well. Much the same as the tractor mounted backhoe.

You might look at the specifications on the tractor unit and then go rent a smallish excavator with similar specs to get a idea on your needs.

sardillim

Equipment
b2650
Nov 24, 2019
Easton
I have the same machine with the backhoe, i don't use the backhoe often but when i need it i'm glad its there I would say go for it

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Marco, I responded to a similar question on another forum. Here’s the response given. (this pertains to my first compact tractor, a JD750 with a #7 backhoe which is essentially the same but a tad smaller). In 1985 I bought my first compact tractor, a JD750 MFWD. Tractor, loader, mower, back blade and backhoe. Co-workers thought I was nuts spending that much money on the rig. Soon after, though, I was beginning to get asked to do small jobs for others and even contractors that couldn't get their equipment into back yards, barns, woods, etc. Within about 5 years the backhoe attachment alone had made enough money to pay for itself and probably the whole rig. And all on only 20HP at the engine! Some of the jobs that I can remember: Countless stumps and shrubbery removed. Landscaping jobs. Prep work for sidewalks and steps. Footings dug for backyard garage, deck, sunroom additions. Two separate septic systems installed in difficult conditions. Water lines dug in below the frostline to horse barns & corrals. Underground leaks in waterlines repaired. Electrical trenches, French drains, and drainage ditches dug. Old posts and fence lines pulled. I'll surely remember more after I post this but the drift is there. All jobs by word of mouth and usually because contractors couldn't access the area with their machines, the jobs were too small, they needed it done right away, and/or they didn't want the mess that a big rig would make in their site. Almost forgot about the egress window wells being installed and the digging needed for them. I even dug out under an existing carport to put footings under the new walls and the concrete floor. Not enough room to list all the wife's landscaping jobs...…...

Regarding stumps: I was asked to remove a stump that a larger backhoe couldn’t access. It had to be close to 30 inches across at the base, cut off at ground level. I started well outside of the stump by finding the upper roots, pulling them up and cutting them off. Kept working around and getting closer to the main trunk and backfilling as needed. After a while the stump was wobbling in the hole and exposing the tap roots. Stump was pulled to the side and tied off, tap roots cut, and dirt filled in on that side. Tilted the stump up and over and filled dirt under the opposite side and repeated until the stump was walked up out of the hole. The stump was half the size of the tractor! Cleaned the remaining dirt off the stump, rolled it onto a stone boat and pulled it away. It took an easy afternoon of working smart. That was one big ash “sapling”!! :D

I just purchased a new B2650 last year and didn’t hesitate to add the BH77 to it. What a nice backhoe! And with the BXpanded ripper it becomes one mean machine for removing stumps. You just have to work smart and use common sense. I made a nice rolling stand for the BH77 and can have it on/off in a few minutes. Each person has their own opinions but I’ve never once questioned why I added the backhoes to my two compact tractors. Don't let that salesperson decide what you want, let alone what you can or can't do with one!!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have done a lot of digging with my backhoe on my BX22 in the last 15 years, and the only thing that stops me dead in my tracks are the boulders that I run into occasionally. A few years ago, there was one that was coming up in my driveway that needed to be pulled. Had the asphalt contractor come in with his Case to pull it out. He had a time digging around it, and when it came out, it was bigger than my BX. It got rolled off into the woods. I have been able to dig around many of the boulders, but can't lift them out of the hole, so I do the next best thing.. I dig down deeper, and roll them into the new hole and keep going.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Asking other people what your favourite color should be?

The question you need to ask yourself is (a) how much would I pay someone to do the jobs I need done vs (b) how badly do I want a garage ornament?

Your sales person gave you good advice. Since you dont really know what you need then (b) is the answer you need.

Marco

Equipment
B2650
Dec 16, 2019
Clarksville, NH
Thanks all for the informative info. Exactly what I was looking for examples of work the BH77 was used for. I just didn't want a 9K garage ornament (haa) or as my landscaper friend called it "a toy". I will find use for it on my farm for sure.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've got the same set up. In short, it's only come off once when I had to boxblade the gravel drive. I've used it for small and huge stump removal, and way too many other tasks to list. Most of those things could have been done a different way, but the backhoe was there and made things easier. Renting a mini ex that many times would have broken the bank, and having it there when I need it is priceless. For me the answer was easy, you need to be honest with yourself as to your needs/use for the right answer for you.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I haven't used mine as much as I would like, but I love having it. I would not have bought my tractor at all unless I could have the backhoe. It has allowed me to do things I just could not have done. I know I will use it for many things in the future and have a laundry list already made. Only you can answer whether you should buy one or not. Renting equipment every time I needed a backhoe would add up quickly, and I simply would not do the jobs that I can now do by having a backhoe readily on hand.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I have a B2650 but no backhoe. I went shopping for a backhoe and the sales women said to me don't waste your money go rent one for the few times you would use it. She said they are good for planting saplings and such and are not strong enough to remove big stumps 12"+ or build a rock retaining wall. I don't want to drop $9K to find out she was right.
I'd be interested in hearing from you guys who have this backhoe and is she right?
I have a B2920 with a BH65 and I have dug out 12”+ stumps, 4’ ditch for water lines, and built a rock retaining wall. It is all about time and patience. Yes there is a limit to the amount you can do weight wise, but they are quite capable of doing a lot of work.

Boatman

Equipment
Kubota L2800, Kubota BX1870
Nov 26, 2016
Mill Spring, NC, US
Last year when I got tired of renting a hoe when I needed I started looking for a backhoe for my L2800. Went to a couple dealers for pricing and couldn't swallow the Kubota price. One dealer sold Ansung backhoes and the price was about 1/3 less than the Kubota units. I've had it for about 8 months now and am glad I made the decision.

Marco

Equipment
B2650
Dec 16, 2019
Clarksville, NH
I am not familiar with the name Ansung but I will Google it up. I don't think I can get into a non Kubota BH. I talked to a Wood's rep and they don't make one for a B2650.
The guy said this model is too new?? I get nervous about buying non OEM attachments there always seem to be adventure making them mate up right.
I will keep looking though.

Apparently, these guys don't carry a backhoe for a B2650 tractor. Might just have to go Kubota.

Last edited:

Marco

Equipment
B2650
Dec 16, 2019
Clarksville, NH
I bought the BH77 back hoe and had the dealer install the sub frame. My first time in the saddle with this or any back hoe I was removing stumps like a pro in about a half hour. I went on to dig a trench and such and I am very happy I went in this direction. I had a friend over who was very skeptical of this unit was impressed with the power of a 2650 with a BH77 backhoe. I bought a ripper because I am about to take on a small field with 15-20 stumps. The bucket worked well on the roots but I think the ripper is going to make short work out of my stump field. I will report back on the ripper. I won't see it for at least another 4 weeks because of Covid so they say.

NWAZL3560

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, LA805 loader, BH77 backhoe, rock bucket, box blade, pallet forks
Jun 11, 2018
Mesquite, NV
I wouldn't be without my BH77 backhoe! I use it a lot for various things, many times just a few minutes at a time. It's on call whenever I want it. Some big jobs were removing bamboo roots - they are really tough and it did it well, digging out creosote bushes where I don't want them, trenching and digging a hole to bury ashes left on the property before we got it.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Marco, I predict you'll be much more than pleased with that ripper tooth!! If you think the bucket alone worked well on the BH77.......wait til you get acquainted with the ripper tooth on. It's so much quicker with so much less mess as you can just slice through the roots out away from the stump first and work your way inward. Congrats on your new equipment!!