B2650 and LP LR1672 - Gauge Wheels

RJ B2650

Equipment
B2650
Apr 8, 2020
Stacy, MN
Hello, very newer to posting on this board. I recently bought a B2650 and a LR1672 with the intent to top dress (black dirt) my yard and use the landscape rake distribute the topsoil evenly. I attempted this late in fall and found with my yard being very uneven and undulating the rake was very ineffective. I saw a few post talking about adding gauge wheels and that helping. I am just struggling with the LP price of these wheel and wanted to see if anyone found a "off-the-shelf" alternative option to add these with minimal fabrication.

Thank you in advance!
RJ

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Even with gauge wheels you still find the rake follows the undulations, but they do help somewhat. I ended up buying a factory set for the KingKutter stuff I have, and made mounts that I attached to my back blade so they would serve double duty. Still, I was not that impressed with them on my rake, but do like them on the back blade for snow removal use, or some grading work like smoothing a back filled trench.

I thought it would be useful to have a blade mid mounted on the tractor for smoothing purposes...but never moved on that idea.

Just mentioning this because if you do not come up with a cheap alternative, you may be disappointed that the gauge wheels do meet your expectations.

I realize this does not directly address your question, but though this perspective might be helpful...

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I got mine from my local dealer. There are two sets of gauge wheels available with the LP kit, small and large, I got the large ones and they are huge. I couldn't get a good finish with the rake without the wheel kit.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
RJ,

do you have any fabrication skills with metal? Or friends that are welders? IF so - you could work up something using old lawnmower front tires and wheels. It would not be hard to make - then again if no access to metal, it would be difficult.

Have you ever used a limit chain on the 3 point? I know your machine has position control on the 3 point lift - but making it rest in the same spot might be better achieved with limit chains. You simply place a link in the slot to achieve the desired height.

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/mower-deck-stabilizer-kit-103201.html

1611593625013.png

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The gauge wheels are essential IMO. You go from a rake to a grading rake. It makes a huge difference. I have the LP rake with the drop blade and I use the wheels constantly.

I have a hydraulic top link, so I don't really have to adjust the guage wheels height anymore. I can control the dig/leave using the top link on the fly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I was thinking that for the purpose of leveling, if you would be fabricating something, putting the gauge wheels as far as practical behind the rake would be helpful.

In my mind, having the gauge wheels behind the rake about the same distance as the tractor rear tires (axles) are in front of the rake would be my target.

There is a reason road graders are so long with their blade towards the center...would try to mimic this (somewhat) by stretching the ground-contact points out a bit beyond where the standard wheels would be.

Last edited:

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
I bought a set of wheels from Titan (Palletforks.com). I knew they would not be a direct fit for my EA rake, but they were a lot less expensive. I cut the original mounting brackets off the wheel kit, and just used 2" square tube to make new mounts that bolt up to the Rake. The wheel mounts slip on and are pinned in place so they can be taken off when necessary by just pulling one pin on each side. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, as the fabrication is done but it has been too cold and wet to paint them up. They will also be somewhat adjustable for length if that proves necessary by just drilling a couple new holes.

Reactions: 1 users

RJ B2650

Equipment
B2650
Apr 8, 2020
Stacy, MN
Even with gauge wheels you still find the rake follows the undulations, but they do help somewhat. I ended up buying a factory set for the KingKutter stuff I have, and made mounts that I attached to my back blade so they would serve double duty. Still, I was not that impressed with them on my rake, but do like them on the back blade for snow removal use, or some grading work like smoothing a back filled trench.

I thought it would be useful to have a blade mid mounted on the tractor for smoothing purposes...but never moved on that idea.

Just mentioning this because if you do not come up with a cheap alternative, you may be disappointed that the gauge wheels do meet your expectations.

I realize this does not directly address your question, but though this perspective might be helpful...
Thank you for sharing your experiences and insights, much appreciated!
RJ

RJ B2650

Equipment
B2650
Apr 8, 2020
Stacy, MN
I got mine from my local dealer. There are two sets of gauge wheels available with the LP kit, small and large, I got the large ones and they are huge. I couldn't get a good finish with the rake without the wheel kit.
Thank you
RJ

RJ B2650

Equipment
B2650
Apr 8, 2020
Stacy, MN
RJ,

do you have any fabrication skills with metal? Or friends that are welders? IF so - you could work up something using old lawnmower front tires and wheels. It would not be hard to make - then again if no access to metal, it would be difficult.

Have you ever used a limit chain on the 3 point? I know your machine has position control on the 3 point lift - but making it rest in the same spot might be better achieved with limit chains. You simply place a link in the slot to achieve the desired height.

https://www.tractorpartsasap.com/mower-deck-stabilizer-kit-103201.html

View attachment 53917
Great Idea, thank you for sharing- I will look deeper into this option.
Thank you!
RJ

RJ B2650

Equipment
B2650
Apr 8, 2020
Stacy, MN
I bought a set of wheels from Titan (Palletforks.com). I knew they would not be a direct fit for my EA rake, but they were a lot less expensive. I cut the original mounting brackets off the wheel kit, and just used 2" square tube to make new mounts that bolt up to the Rake. The wheel mounts slip on and are pinned in place so they can be taken off when necessary by just pulling one pin on each side. Haven't had a chance to use them yet, as the fabrication is done but it has been too cold and wet to paint them up. They will also be somewhat adjustable for length if that proves necessary by just drilling a couple new holes.
I was thinking this may be the most cost effective option too- I may give this a try.
THX!