B2601 or B2650...help me decide

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Been debating for some time now between a B2601 and a B2650. Currently have a BX23 that I use for mowing, loader and backhoe work, nothing else. But I'm finding I need more ground clearance, more of a traditional tractor stance (my BX gets muck absolutely packed all around the rear end every time I get into the mud, the wheels are too close to the machine), a slightly beefier tractor as I get into stuff that I'm starting to feel the BX just isn't really suited for, and a little more loader capacity would be nice too.

I mow one property that's maybe 1.5 acres of grass by myself, and help to mow another where we mow just under 5 acres of grass. The 5 acres of grass is my parents' yard...they mow way too much. But they're on a 100 acre old farm, so I use the FEL and backhoe a lot for draining wet areas, trail maintenance, putting in drains, and some landscaping occasionally. It's also come in handy a couple of times when dealing with some firewood that we didn't want to drag out of the woods; the BX was small enough that we didn't have to. They have a couple larger tractors for brush hogging the fields, plowing/discing the gardens, plowing snow, etc..

I need to keep this light enough for me to tow and I also want to use a mid-mount mower, which keeps me from looking at the L series. There are a couple of other properties I may on very rare occasion have use for the loader and backhoe.

Originally I was pretty well set on the B2601. I don't need anything too big, and in fact for working around the woods the smaller size might be an advantage to some degree. But, now I'm leaning toward the B2650 some; a little more loader capacity would be nice. I plan to get a set of forks. And larger wheels I expect should provide a smoother ride on rough terrain, and better traction in the mud. And I'm used to ground contact mower decks.

Am I missing any advantage to going with a B2601 over the B2650?

Huskerfan

Equipment
Kubota B2650 HSTC, Grasshopper 725Dt
May 24, 2016
Iowa
The decision for me between these two was the cab advantage available on the B2650.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I went thru the very same dilemma not long ago. I had a 2006 BX23 TLB-M that was getting long in tooth (I had used that machine for a part time landscaping business for years). I needed more capability and better ground clearance.

Wifey and I went looking at a used machine at a kubota dealer. He had lots of new equipment there that happened to be all lined up by size (ie...B2601, B2650, L2501) right next to each other.

Seeing them lined up made it a fairly easy decision for me. The B01 series didn't appear to be a significant difference in size over the BX. So, it was between the L01 and the B50 series. I needed something fairly lightweight since we have soft ground and I wanted more creature comforts than what the L01 had. The weight savings would be an easier tow as well for the tow vehicle I had at the time.

If I recall correctly, there was little significant difference in cost between the B01 and B50 series (maybe $1,500 ?). The B50 series also uses the BH77 hoe, which I think is far superior to the BH65.

If you aren't concerned about dealer support, get a quote from Barlow's. I'll bet that they can have a B50 series delivered to your door for less than you can get a B01 series from local dealers.

YMMV

Best of luck in your decision.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
The decision for me between these two was the cab advantage available on the B2650.

No need for a cab for my use, it'll just get in the way. Too many trees around, and depending on what I'm doing I'm off and on the machine a lot sometimes.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I went thru the very same dilemma not long ago. I had a 2006 BX23 TLB-M that was getting long in tooth (I had used that machine for a part time landscaping business for years). I needed more capability and better ground clearance.

(snip)

If I recall correctly, there was little significant difference in cost between the B01 and B50 series (maybe $1,500 ?). The B50 series also uses the BH77 hoe, which I think is far superior to the BH65.

(snip)
Same boat here, 2006 BX23 TLB-M.

And yep, I'm finding the difference in price between the two work comparable packages is about $1700-1800.

Kind of odd, when I go to the dealer and sit on them each, the B2601 somewhat just has a better feel to me than the B2650. And for what I do with it, the slightly smaller size and weight is kind of appealing. But, a little more reach with the backhoe would be nice. And maybe even more important is the little extra FEL capacity, especially since I would be getting a set of forks.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
I like the analog gauges on the B2601 better than a digital dash. And I like the drive over mm mower decks.

On the B2650 I think only the 72 inch deck is a drive over?

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Actually not sure what's drive-over and what's not. I've never worked with a drive-over deck before, so I never even really thought to be concerned with it.

I can say with either tractor, I would be getting a 60" mower, as I'd definitely need a new trailer with the 72". Plus while I mow a lot of grass, I also get into areas with a lot of obstacles.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Both a quite capable machines and would likely serve you well. It was the hoe/loader that made the difference for me. Yes, a bit more lift capacity with the loader, but, the BH77 has a full 180 degree swing (twin cylinder swing) where the BH65 does not. That used to peeve me off with the BH on the BX23...that it didn't swing fully (180 degrees).

I would have to agree with the comment on the analog gauges...I think I would have preferred those. Additionally, I believe the 2650 generates more power (torque) and it does so at a lower RPM. I think it's limited to 2500-2600 rpm to keep the HP rating under the threshold. Same engine that was used in the B2920.

Perhaps, you really need to consider the type of mower that you want as they function differently. The 01 series use a suspended deck, the 50 series uses a ground contact deck. If your mowing grass on rough terrain (exposed roots etc) I think you'd want a suspended deck.

Video discussing the two B series rigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21nVkAK793Y

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Specs comparisons here: http://www.orangetractortalks.com/f...55&arubalp=b1ae49d1-8a7e-43e7-b02b-ba05658657

I think if you have space and can afford the B2650, you'd be crazy not to get it. It's a bit bigger and a bit more powerful. I think most of the jump actually comes in moving from the BX to the B01 - the B01 has twice the capacity in some areas. The B50 is an incremental improvement beyond that, but not such a big jump again. But buy once, buy right....sounds like there's no reason not to get a B50, and it is bigger and better.

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Good point on the backhoes Dirtydeed. I didn't realize that difference.

mcgoo

Dec 30, 2016
CA
Actually not sure what's drive-over and what's not. I've never worked with a drive-over deck before, so I never even really thought to be concerned with it.

I can say with either tractor, I would be getting a 60" mower, as I'd definitely need a new trailer with the 72". Plus while I mow a lot of grass, I also get into areas with a lot of obstacles.
So true I have a 2650 with cab and 60" mmm. Cuts great. Only knock is going around trees the turning radius isn't great.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Can I be the devils advocate here?
If you are buying this primarily for mowing then it doesn't matter which one you get. If the lawns you mow are relatively smooth I would get a dedicated mower, perhaps a zero-turn and leave the tractor for other chores.
I myself bought a tractor primarily for mowing my very rough yard because my mower just didn't give me a ride I could live with. The larger tires on the B series make it much faster and smoother to use. I also bought a 3 point mower for ease of putting on and taking off. But if my yard was smooth I would have bought a mower for the yard and a tractor for other chores.
I guess it's up to you to decide what your primary usage will be and buy the machine that fits that usage the best.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Can I be the devils advocate here?
If you are buying this primarily for mowing then it doesn't matter which one you get. If the lawns you mow are relatively smooth I would get a dedicated mower, perhaps a zero-turn and leave the tractor for other chores.
I myself bought a tractor primarily for mowing my very rough yard because my mower just didn't give me a ride I could live with. The larger tires on the B series make it much faster and smoother to use. I also bought a 3 point mower for ease of putting on and taking off. But if my yard was smooth I would have bought a mower for the yard and a tractor for other chores.
I guess it's up to you to decide what your primary usage will be and buy the machine that fits that usage the best.
I've never used a zero-turn, so I can't say for sure how that would work out. But I mow some fairly steep hills and most of the lawn I mow is definitely not smooth, manicured lawn. Much of it is uneven terrain, and the 1.5 acres I mow does have a fair number roots.

I've definitely considered going this route, but I just can't see a zero-turn working out on the hills. Sometimes the areas I mow get wet too. I will try to stay out of those areas if they get really bad, but I've ended up mowing some stuff just to knock the grass down some where I feel very confident a zero-turn would get stuck for sure.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
So true I have a 2650 with cab and 60" mmm. Cuts great. Only knock is going around trees the turning radius isn't great.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Yeah, that's the nice thing about the HST though. I grew up mowing most of the grass using a John Deere 1050 with a 72" mid-mount mower. Still use it in fact sometimes when helping my parents mow their grass. But that thing has a gear transmission. Still a great tractor, but getting tight around the trees sucked. Stopping and shifting to reverse, then stopping and shifting to a forward gear, then again, and again. Sometimes it would seem easier to just keep making forward passes on the sides of a tree or obstacle and never back up. Then you end up running the mower over the same grass a half dozen times as you circle the obstacle.

Really makes you appreciate the HST for mowing, it's so much more time efficient.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Both a quite capable machines and would likely serve you well. It was the hoe/loader that made the difference for me. Yes, a bit more lift capacity with the loader, but, the BH77 has a full 180 degree swing (twin cylinder swing) where the BH65 does not. That used to peeve me off with the BH on the BX23...that it didn't swing fully (180 degrees).

I would have to agree with the comment on the analog gauges...I think I would have preferred those. Additionally, I believe the 2650 generates more power (torque) and it does so at a lower RPM. I think it's limited to 2500-2600 rpm to keep the HP rating under the threshold. Same engine that was used in the B2920.

Perhaps, you really need to consider the type of mower that you want as they function differently. The 01 series use a suspended deck, the 50 series uses a ground contact deck. If your mowing grass on rough terrain (exposed roots etc) I think you'd want a suspended deck.

Video discussing the two B series rigs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21nVkAK793Y
I'd rather have the analog gauges as well, but it's not a deal-breaker either way.

On the 180° arc on the backhoe, that's a perk I forgot about. I actually used to think I didn't really care about that, but I can envision some circumstances where that would definitely be a major advantage. One such circumstance...I have a pole building that desperately needs a french drain installed around it. I won't be able to get a machine in close enough to dig in line with the trench, so I'll have to pull in at more of an angle to dig close to the building. So if I'm digging with the backhoe swung to the side, that extra arc would be a big help; it would either allow me to get closer to the building, or be able to dump the spoil farther from the trench.

On the mower, I've been stuck on that one. I've always used ground contact though, and assumed that's what I'd want. Truth be told and a little embarrassed to admit it, but when I started using my BX23's mower, I had never even heard of the concept of a suspended deck, and I was essentially using it as a ground contact. When the grass starts growing this spring, assuming I still have the BX23, I'm going to try setting it up right and just see what it's like.

Last edited:

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I've never used a zero-turn, so I can't say for sure how that would work out. But I mow some fairly steep hills and most of the lawn I mow is definitely not smooth, manicured lawn. Much of it is uneven terrain, and the 1.5 acres I mow does have a fair number roots.

I've definitely considered going this route, but I just can't see a zero-turn working out on the hills. Sometimes the areas I mow get wet too. I will try to stay out of those areas if they get really bad, but I've ended up mowing some stuff just to knock the grass down some where I feel very confident a zero-turn would get stuck for sure.
You are right, a zero-turn probably isn't the best choice for you. I just thought I would throw out options.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Interesting. It used to be 26hp, seems to be 24hp now. Rumour has it they're applying the standards better in measuring HP, the BX also reduced even thought there's no engine or configuration change.

I wonder, if they are measuring differently and they're now 24hp machines, if they can turn up the tuning on the engines a bit to get back to 26hp (per the emissions regulations). Net effect more actual HP without emissions equipment.