B2601 Grapple Dilemma

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
So I bought my B2601 about a year ago and love the tractor. The one thing I wish I did when I bought it was get a grapple and third function right away. Well I am changing that now but want to make sure I dont regret my decision moving forward. As it stands my delear has a LP third function and LP 54" grapple on site which he recommends for my tractor. He said if I wanted the 60" it wouldnt be in until around Aug. I spoke with EA and they told me 5ish months for their Wicked Root Rake and 4ish months for their Compact Wicked Root Grapple. I like the EA products I just dont want to rob my tractors lift capacity and aren't too with how long the wait is.

My concerns with the LP are it is recommended for a BX not a B and I dont want to end up with a ruined grapple. I saw a poster in another thread say that he has the LP 54" on his LX2610 with no issues but I do not know what his grapple goes through.

I am planning on utilizing mine for brush removal, tree work/firewood prep, and moving of various rocks around the property.

Thank you for any help/guidance with helping me make the right decision.

erda

Equipment
LX3310HSDCC
Aug 24, 2014
Alberta, Canada
i used a SGC0660 on my B2601 and now on my LX3310. Digging out and carrying rocks, moving deadfall and brush with no problems. I think there is an advantage to a 54. The concern is not to torque the loader by having off centre loads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have never had a a grapple and if I had one it would be for occasional use doing the things you mentioned. Given my circumstances I would probably settle for what the dealer is recommending while trying to negotiate an "out" so to speak should the set up disappoint me. That is , maintaining the ability to swap it for the larger one after a couple hours of usage. The dealer might be agreeable to that. Many feel a lighter smaller grapple is preferable. Good luck.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
A 54" or 60" would be fine for your tractor as long as you stay around 300lbs or so it should handle it fine and still give you enough capacity to make it nice and useful.

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I bought a LP 60” when I previously had an BX. I went with the 60 thinking I could use it if I ever got a larger tractor. I now have a B and an MX and it works with both. It’s better suited to the B though and actually a smaller grapple would have been fine. I am not sure that width makes much of a difference. Structurally it will be fine. I don’t think the few inches you are sweating over would be noticed unless there is some visibility issue with tires in the way, but I would doubt that on a BX or b size tractor? When the tractor will not lift something it will not be because of the grapple….it will be either not enough ballast or not big enough tractor for what you want to do. If you plan to grab brush, limbs reasonable sized rocks and small logs, it will be fine with either width. My guess is they have the same spread vertically when open and that really is the bigger limiter of what the grapple can grab….the lift limit is really on the size and weight of tractor and the hydraulic lift capability.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Thank you all for your replies. My real concern is not the width but ruining an expensive piece of equipment/bending a tooth. The big difference I see between the LP 54 and LP 60 is the thickness of the steel used and the crossbars between the teeth which are on the 60 but not the 54. I saw peope complaining on youtube that they bent teeth on the 54 where LP then told them too bad because they were using it on a larger tractor than a BX. Since LP's brochure only states the 54 is compatible with a BX.

I posted pics below showing the "crossbar" on the teeth cause I'm sure I called it the wrong thing.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
this....

I dont want to end up with a ruined grapple.

usually only happens when you ABUSE the equipment

It doesn't matter what make or model the equipment is, ALL can be worked beyond 'design limits' and be ruined. Actually this applies to everything.

There are only 2 ways I know to never end up with a ruined grapple
1) never buy a grapple
2) buy and never use the grapple

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I have the sco60 on a b 2301 and I do not see how you could damage the grapple without damaging the loader. I would think the 54 would be the same. the grapple is very strong and I would say stronger than the loader arms. If you use it as intended and not as a bulldozer I do not think you will have a problem I almost wish I had gone with the smaller grapple as the 60 inch grapple is considerabley wider than the front wheels and limits access by a small amount in the woods. That being said the grapple is fantastic if you are going to clear brush and limbs after taking down trees it does twice the work done in 1/2 the time. also for bringing in logs and firewood you can keep the logs off the ground instead of skidding the logs and that keeps the gravel and dirt off of them. a lot of people on this site say it is worth the wait to get exactly what you want but I disagree to some point I may have liked the b2601 and the 54" grapple better but a bird in the hand so the b2301 and the 60 inch grapple both were in stock and available I got them the 4th of January and we had a noreaster with a foot of snow two days later and three more since, one that took down a dozen large spruce trees. My tractor has already done a ton of work that I would have been waiting to do when the b 2601 shows up in June. With Diesel at 2.00 a liter the b2301 makes me look way smarter than I am. :unsure: I do not think you can go wrong with either grapple.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
re: If you use it as intended and not as a bulldozer I do not think you will have a problem

But we've all seen online videos showing USING them as bulldozers !!!:) so you MUST be able to do that, right ???;)

• Love

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
this....

I dont want to end up with a ruined grapple.

usually only happens when you ABUSE the equipment

It doesn't matter what make or model the equipment is, ALL can be worked beyond 'design limits' and be ruined. Actually this applies to everything.

There are only 2 ways I know to never end up with a ruined grapple
1) never buy a grapple
2) buy and never use the grapple
This is good to hear. Since I don't abuse my equipment I shouldn't have a problem. I was reading too into the make and model info.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
I have the sco60 on a b 2301 and I do not see how you could damage the grapple without damaging the loader. I would think the 54 would be the same. the grapple is very strong and I would say stronger than the loader arms. If you use it as intended and not as a bulldozer I do not think you will have a problem I almost wish I had gone with the smaller grapple as the 60 inch grapple is considerabley wider than the front wheels and limits access by a small amount in the woods. That being said the grapple is fantastic if you are going to clear brush and limbs after taking down trees it does twice the work done in 1/2 the time. also for bringing in logs and firewood you can keep the logs off the ground instead of skidding the logs and that keeps the gravel and dirt off of them. a lot of people on this site say it is worth the wait to get exactly what you want but I disagree to some point I may have liked the b2601 and the 54" grapple better but a bird in the hand so the b2301 and the 60 inch grapple both were in stock and available I got them the 4th of January and we had a noreaster with a foot of snow two days later and three more since, one that took down a dozen large spruce trees. My tractor has already done a ton of work that I would have been waiting to do when the b 2601 shows up in June. With Diesel at 2.00 a liter the b2301 makes me look way smarter than I am. :unsure: I do not think you can go wrong with either grapple.
I am glad to hear you had your tractor to tackle all those projects that were thrown at you. I think taking your advice and getting the grapple which in stock now and ready to use would be better than waiting until probably Aug for another. Especially since i have 5 monster oaks I just took down and would have a much easier cleanup with a grapple than without one. It could be done but just not as fun.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I am glad to hear you had your tractor to tackle all those projects that were thrown at you. I think taking your advice and getting the grapple which in stock now and ready to use would be better than waiting until probably Aug for another. Especially since i have 5 monster oaks I just took down and would have a much easier cleanup with a grapple than without one. It could be done but just not as fun.
Much easier with the grapple. limb , cut to length. put the grapple down pick up all the limbs, stack the logs, use the top of the grapple to rake up all the rest, call the sawmill. sell the logs and the grapple will pay for itself. :cool:

Shekkie

Equipment
LX2610, Virnig 60" Grapple, WoodMaxx TM-86H, Woods 60" BB/72”RB
Feb 12, 2022
Grafton, Ohio
Messicks has the Virnig 60" in stock and Homestead says their grapples are available in about 6 weeks. Just a few quality options for you if you are looking to purchase and actually have it any time soon. I'm sure there are others that will do the job as well.

Last edited:

NorthWest Orange

Equipment
Kubota B2601
Mar 20, 2022
Oregon
Hello Grindstone,
just my personal opinion on your subject.
I have a nearly new B2601 and I purchased the EA 55” wicked grapple and I think the wait is more than worth the wait and cost.
I got lucky as I purchased my tractor and all my implements in November of 2020.
woods BBS54P- woods RDC54-Landpride RTA1250-Landpride PFL1242- LP PHD15- EA 55”Wicked Grapple.
I chose the 54” wide bucket and am trying to keep all implements at the 54-55” width.
My personal use with the EA55” Wicked grapple is it’s exceptionally strong and real light.
This leaves less strain on the loader. The weight of the Grapple is about the same as my 54” bucket.
Some of the users seem to like the 60” width on the bucket and implements but I think the 54” covers rear tracts and keeps leverage and strain to a little less degree.
Im very conservative on this machine.
I did have the LP 380-149 3rd function valve install at time of purchase.
I just had the Duel rear remotes installed by dealer about six months ago and am currently 4 weeks away from my Fit-Rite Hydraulics top N tilt cylinder package arrival From Brian.
A local private tractor dealer sold me the tiller, post hole auger, unused for half the price of new.
I was shocked to See how much all these items have gone up.
The cost of the tractor jumped a lot in 2021.
If you can wait, the EA grapple is a winner in my opinion.
If you own a b2601 then you probably know of GP outdoors and My Cluttered garage, and many more.
Lots of choices.
Keep in mind if you decide to put rear wheel spacers on then implement width choices would change.
Good luck on your choice Sir.

Attachments

GrappleDave

Lifetime Member

Equipment
New Kubota L2501
Mar 19, 2022
jackson NY
There are other options as well PM me if you want any more info.
I don't want to break any rules here. Made in the USA by me and not far from CT.

Grindstone

Equipment
B2601, FEL, BH, MMM
Mar 10, 2022
CT
Hello Grindstone,
just my personal opinion on your subject.
I have a nearly new B2601 and I purchased the EA 55” wicked grapple and I think the wait is more than worth the wait and cost.
I got lucky as I purchased my tractor and all my implements in November of 2020.
woods BBS54P- woods RDC54-Landpride RTA1250-Landpride PFL1242- LP PHD15- EA 55”Wicked Grapple.
I chose the 54” wide bucket and am trying to keep all implements at the 54-55” width.
My personal use with the EA55” Wicked grapple is it’s exceptionally strong and real light.
This leaves less strain on the loader. The weight of the Grapple is about the same as my 54” bucket.
Some of the users seem to like the 60” width on the bucket and implements but I think the 54” covers rear tracts and keeps leverage and strain to a little less degree.
Im very conservative on this machine.
I did have the LP 380-149 3rd function valve install at time of purchase.
I just had the Duel rear remotes installed by dealer about six months ago and am currently 4 weeks away from my Fit-Rite Hydraulics top N tilt cylinder package arrival From Brian.
A local private tractor dealer sold me the tiller, post hole auger, unused for half the price of new.
I was shocked to See how much all these items have gone up.
The cost of the tractor jumped a lot in 2021.
If you can wait, the EA grapple is a winner in my opinion.
If you own a b2601 then you probably know of GP outdoors and My Cluttered garage, and many more.
Lots of choices.
Keep in mind if you decide to put rear wheel spacers on then implement width choices would change.
Good luck on your choice Sir.
Thank you for your reply. Sounds like you have a real nice setup. I agree the EA is top notch and a fine quality implement. If I could have one delivered within the next month I would definitely go that route but the "5ish months" I was quoted is too long of a wait for me. I have a lot of clean up I need to do sooner than later and my dealer having the LP in stock is huge. I am just waiting on a 3rd function kit.
Love watching GP and My Cluttered Garage. I cant believe what GP picked up with his B2601 especially with his heavy HLA.
How you liking those pallet forks? I was thinking about asking my dealer for. Set of those as well. Figured buy them sooner than. later with how price and availability are.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
I have a set of HLA SSQA pallet forks for my BX23S, rated for 900#, solid forged forks. Aside from the powdercoat 'paint' coming of, have been an excellent implement.Since I can curlup the forks, it's easy to carry most brush and logs and a lot cheaper than a real grapple setup would have cost.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
When you get it no matter which one you get remember if the teeth aint got a bend in them, you aint useing it ;)

Reactions: 1 users