B2601 3rd Function Install

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Hello,

I just picked up a 3rd function kit today for my B2601. The kit is from my dealer, it's a Land Pride #380-354A. My research also shows that there is another kit, #380-149A. I'm not sure what the difference between the two is, I've contacted Land Pride to find out, so I will post back when I hear.

My tractor has a backhoe. My understanding is no kit that is offered accounts for the backhoe. So I think my first post is simply to understand how the 3rd function will be installed.

EDIT:
Got word back from Messick's, the difference between kits #380-149A and #380-354A is the style of couplers used out at the SSQA (i.e. what you connect to your implement). Kit 354A comes with flat face connectors. Kit 149A comes with the Pioneer style.

I also spoke with a tech at my dealer. He said that the 3rd function should be installed on the PB line in series before the backhoe. I drew this out below.
1619642341678.png

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
The blue line (i.e the line going to the "side of trans") is headed to the reservoir. The red line off the loader valve is the power beyond port.

Last edited:

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I have the third function valve connected to my B2601, but it came from dealer that way when I ordered it. I also have the back hoe from factory. Third function is connected to front loader arm to control the Grapple and other items like front push blade to move side to side. Control buttons for in/out are mounted right on the loader lift and tilt control arm.

Reactions: 1 user

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I have the third function valve connected to my B2601, but it came from dealer that way when I ordered it. I also have the back hoe from factory. Third function is connected to front loader arm to control the Grapple and other items like front push blade to move side to side. Control buttons for in/out are mounted right on the loader lift and tilt control arm.
Cool. My BH was also installed by the dealer.

I'm curious, are you able to look at your 3rd function solenoid valve and trace the hydraulic lines? Two lines should obviously head up the loader frame to your grapple or other implement. Then there should be 2 lines that head elsewhere on the tractor. I'm curious where those lines go.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Cool. My BH was also installed by the dealer.

I'm curious, are you able to look at your 3rd function solenoid valve and trace the hydraulic lines? Two lines should obviously head up the loader frame to your grapple or other implement. Then there should be 2 lines that head elsewhere on the tractor. I'm curious where those lines go.
There is a box installed right at the right loader tower, and from there two lines go to the pump in the rear. Here are two pics of what I can see without going under tractor. I hope this helps some. I would go under tractor, but wife and I are about to go out shopping for a trailer for the tractor.

Attachments

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Hey Frank, thanks for the photos. I'd be looking for the other two hoses (the ones that run under the tractor).

No rush - whenever you happen to have dirty clothes on and you remember to snap a picture.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Hey Frank, thanks for the photos. I'd be looking for the other two hoses (the ones that run under the tractor).

No rush - whenever you happen to have dirty clothes on and you remember to snap a picture.
One hose runs to the block in the back of tractor that connects to back hoe hose. The second hose runs up deep into the massive set of hoses behind the rear right wheel. Sorry to say I could not take any pic of that one, but I know it goes to the pump because I have seen videos of it being installed on youtube. Just look it up and you will see where the mechanic removes the wheel to get to the block. Wish I could do more for you, but I even had the wife go under tractor to see if she could make it out where the goes finalizes at but she had no luck either and she is good at tracing lines for me. I include the one hose at least.
It is the hose that has red cover, and attached to the hose with yellow cover which is the back hoe hose when not in use.

Attachments

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
What you need is the Assembly Instructions for the loader on your tractor. These instructions contained detailed info about connecting a third function valve into your tractor's hydraulics. Each model of loader/tractor is going to be a little different.

These instructions normally don't go with the loader which is installed when you buy the tractor but the dealer has them and you want to ask for a pdf copy. Bring a USB stick.

I will attach Assembly Instructions pages for a different model loader to give you an idea of the level of detail they contain.

I always want to give anyone working on hydraulics the same caution: This is not a Lets try It and See What Happens process as in a fraction of a second very expensive parts can be destroyed

Dave

Attachments

Reactions: 2 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks for the tip Dave. I will see what the dealer can provide.

Before I was done I was hoping to get some OK from my dealer that I had done it right.
Just starting the tractor with a wrong connection can be all it takes to break something.

In my experience dealers do not want to be the guaranteer of someone else's work. Lots of risk and no reward!

Dave

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Just starting the tractor with a wrong connection can be all it takes to break something.

In my experience dealers do not want to be the guaranteer of someone else's work. Lots of risk and no reward!

Dave
Makes sense. I wouldn’t ask them to accept liability.

I’ll keep you all informed on my progress and what I learn.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Also, just for my understanding, the primary area of concern in the hydraulic system are the pumps right? Incorrectly routing the system could damage/ruin a pump (and why it’s important to reconnect the circuit when you remove the BH)?

Thanks

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Also, just for my understanding, the primary area of concern in the hydraulic system are the pumps right? Incorrectly routing the system could damage/ruin a pump (and why it’s important to reconnect the circuit when you remove the BH)?

Thanks
I will answer without studying the hydraulic schematic for your tractor.

The BH is in a power beyond loop from the loader valve or from a hydraulic block on the transmission.

The PB loop is feeding other stuff such a 3 pt hitch and rear remotes.

If the loop is not maintained when the BH is removed, some hydraulic functions will not work.

The loader valve has an internal relief valve which will protect the main hydraulic pump

Dave

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
The drawing is correct, but how you actually split that correctly depends on the machine. With your model having a hydraulic block it is hard to see the port routing.
Just get the factory installation manual from the dealer to be sure. I can tell you the third function kit will more than likely feed the in P port of the backhoe from its 3rd PB (green) line. The backhoe return will continue to where the third function PB would have gone.

3rd : gray is T port tank
orange is P port in from loader PB
Green is PB from third.

"Disregard, see below."

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
The drawing is correct, but how you actually split that correctly depends on the machine. With your model having a hydraulic block it is hard to see the port routing.
Just get the factory installation manual from the dealer to be sure. I can tell you the third function kit will more than likely feed the in P port of the backhoe from its 3rd PB (green) line. The backhoe return will continue to where the third function PB would have gone.

3rd : gray is T port tank
orange is P port in from loader PB
Green is PB from third.
Did you intend to include a diagram or picture? Wasn't sure on the color coding you mention.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I believe you have the right kit. 380-354 Go line 6 from third function block > P inlet backhoe(female coupler)
Then outlet (male coupler) from backhoe to trans T tank port. (assuming it is open/tandem center to P-T at rest)

Edit,
. Looks like the valve bracket and lines are different between the two kits. I believe the valve is also different (380 149a)may not be open center. It specifically says assumes no backhoe or remotes.

Attachments

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Update:

Well I was able to track down the Assembly Instructions for the LA435 loader. In this document, they (Kubota) outlines how to install a 3rd function kit with or without a backhoe in place. In this document, they specify needing to swap out the power beyond hardline that comes with the backhoe for one that works with the 3rd function kit.

Long story short, after looking at my Land Pride kit, I don't understand how this kit is "easily installed" if you have a backhoe. At minimum, you need to order the $88 steel line from Kubota (or fabricate something). In addition, I need two hydraulic hoses to be shortened. The kicker for me is this kit is the same price as the Kubota kit which can be readily installed without modification (continue reading). I'd be happy doing work arounds if I was going to save a few hundred dollars.

I found that my dealer can order the Kubota 3rd function kit directly from Kubota - B1672, which has all the proper connection and hoses if you do have the backhoe. I'm working with my dealer to see if they'll take back the LP kit they sold me and order me the Kubota B1672 kit. I had opened the LP kit and hand tightened some of the fittings to mock up the installation and see what changes would be required.

The Kubota B1672 kit will directly install with no fabrication. In addition, based on the instructions in the Assembly guide, it seems like a cleaner install - for example, Kubota provides a sleeve to go on the loader stick to cover the electric line running up to the ball (versus the LP kit which just uses zip ties).

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
So the Kubota B1672 3rd Function Kit arrived. This kit is far nicer than the Land Pride kit. The Land Pride kit is clearly an effort to make a kit that fits most tractors by swapping out some pieces here and there.

The Kubota B1672 kit is designed specifically for the B2601. The installation instructions are thorough and detailed, included in the LA435 Loader Assembly Instructions. I'm really impressed.

I will post up some photos of the install.

Reactions: 1 users