B2400 expansion tank

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
I was tired of my radiator burping hot coolant on the ground (and the garage floor), so I added this expansion tank from Advance Auto Parts. Problem solved. Sorry about the angle. The portrait/landscape went askew during upload.

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If it's belching coolant (and it should only be half full when cold) then you have other issues like a blown head gasket or a bad water pump seal that is allowing air into the coolant. Expansion bottles don't belch unless there is something wrong. Lets put it this way... The expansion tank in your car don't overflow does it?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model did not come with an expansion tank so it won't suck fluid back in when it cools off (differnt designed radiator cap and neck), so keep an eye on the tank.
If it keeps filling up with use, sadly you have a serious issue, most likely head gasket leak.

Last edited:

Dunslandloy

Equipment
B2400HSD
Aug 4, 2017
SE OH
If it's belching coolant (and it should only be half full when cold) then you have other issues like a blown head gasket or a bad water pump seal that is allowing air into the coolant. Expansion bottles don't belch unless there is something wrong. Lets put it this way... The expansion tank in your car don't overflow does it?
Sorry flip, I guess I should have been more clear in my original post when I said the RADIATOR was burping coolant, NOT the expansion tank that I added. If the RADIATOR is full, it will push coolant out until just above the top of the core then stop. This way the coolant goes back into the radiator as it cools. No head gasket leak. No water pump leak. I haven't added a drop of coolant since this fix back in October.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This way the coolant goes back into the radiator as it cools. No head gasket leak.
It more than likely won't work like that because the radiator neck and cap is not designed that way.
If it does work let me know. ;)