B2301 Mice Behind Instrument Panel

jmusits

Equipment
B2301, L434 Loader, B2673 w/ Hyd. Angle, EA 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
Mar 26, 2017
Greenfield Center, NY
Yesterday I went out and started up my B2301, which had been sitting in an instant garage and two mice ran out from behind the instrument cluster. After taking a look it seems that they built a nest between the gas tank and the panel.

Any advice on taking apart the panel to access and remove the nest?

Also, any advice on keeping the mice from coming back and building another nest?

Thanks!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The one thing that works is a mechanical spring trap with a little peanut butter on the trip. Check it once or twice a day to empty it and ready for the next one.

Forget repellents or electronics. The traps where the mouse goes in to a "hotel" will be chewed out of by the mouse.

If you have a dog then put the trap where the dog will not get his snout to it.

Good luck and I hope that they have not and will not chew into your wiring.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sock full of both balls seems to work too! ;)

EDIT: YIKES... Moth!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Started doing this a few years ago. Use bounce sheets for the dryer. Don't know why but rodents don't like the smell. Clean it out and throw a sheet in there.

jmusits

Equipment
B2301, L434 Loader, B2673 w/ Hyd. Angle, EA 54" XTreme Duty Compact Box Blade
Mar 26, 2017
Greenfield Center, NY
Thanks for all the tips everyone! Hopefully I can get those little buggers out before they cause any damage and keep them out for good.

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I wouldn't use peanut butter or anything else that will attract ants and or other bugs!
get some of the traps with the large yellow plastic triggers they attract and catch the mice without attracting the other critters.
don't want to set up a bug smorgasbord!
another way I do it is get some of the dry rat pellets, wrap a few in a small piece of cloth and wire the bundle of poison to the trigger of a trap. it don't draw bugs but it will draw mice and they can't just steel the bait they must tug on the bundle and most times I can reuse the bait bundle a few times because they never get it off before being caught.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
A cat, TOM KAT poison blocks, and Irish Spring Soap ….in that order. (I tried moth balls and it had zero effect….but Irish Spring soap slices will repel the ones that can smell and kill the ones that try to eat it.)

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
My snowmobile is full of rodents every fall I prepare it for service. The rodents will nibble wiring, hoses, plastics (even plastic headlight was nibbled with a nest inside it!!!)

I can tell you what does NOT work to keep rodents away:
  • Mothballs (Rodents have no problem building nest right ontop of them)
  • Dryer-sheets (Rodents tear them apart for nesting material)

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
We have a couple of outdoor cats. The only problem is that they leave their prize on the doorstep.
Occasionally, they will catch and eat a careless bird.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A cat, TOM KAT poison blocks, and Irish Spring Soap ….in that order. (I tried moth balls and it had zero effect….but Irish Spring soap slices will repel the ones that can smell and kill the ones that try to eat it.)
I keep Tom cat bait stations in the barn and haven’t had problems since I started doing that. I refill the station every few months because they eat all the bait.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
One of our bird feeding stations was next to my pole barn. When I moved that away from the barn, mouse issues dropped significantly. I also put in one of those 5 gallon traps that has a rotating cylinder on top after I moved the bird feeders. The first winter that trap got over a 20 mice, 4 in one night was the largest haul. Rarely see a mouse in the barn anymore. One note, if you put the 5 gallon trap in a place with open access, larger critters (coons, possum, etc.) will eat the peanut butter.