B2301 gauge cluster issue

jshtroutman

Equipment
B2301
Mar 20, 2023
North Carolina
My almost new only 19 hrs b2301 has this instrument cluster issue. Sometimes the fuel gauge and temp gauge will stop working and the needles will bottom out in the gauge. Often I can slap the side of the instrument panel and they will start working again. Then they may not give trouble till the next time I operate. The tach and hr meter don’t seem to be effected. This tractor is still under warranty but was just curious if anyone here has experienced this or if any one knows something easy to check before I borrow a trailer and haul it back to the dealer?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I believe they're electrical, and a symptom like that could be caused by a poor ground. As to where the ground for the instrument cluster is, less sure. But if you can find it and tighten it, that might be a fix.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
According to the less than stellar wiring diagram from the Kubotabooks version of the WSM, they are 'old school' meters and sensors. +12 volts goes to the meters, then wires connect to the sensors, which connect to ground. Due to the missing information on the wiring diagram I don't see a 'constant voltage regulator' in the 'high side' ( +12) of the meters. This is necessary for the gauges to read properly over time and air temperature. Since both meters are affected I think the problem will be the electrical connector that attaches the 'instrument cluster' to the chassis wiring,specifically the +12v feed to both meters. Clues are 'stopped' working ( zero readings on both) and 'slapping cluster fixes it'....
Disconnect it, inspect, reconnect.....be sure it's firmly seated and locked in place.

If that doesn't fix it, perhaps a bad soldering of the connector on the PCB, or a microfracture of the etch that powers the meters.

I'd have to see pictures of the 'instrument cluster' to see how it's made.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just take it to the dealer!
They will trouble shoot it and fix it.