B2301 Belly Mower issue

JRBlanco

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Jun 18, 2021
Texas
New to tractors. 2 month old Kubota B2301. My belly mower was working fine now when I engage the blades with the belly mower down the tractor conks out.
Same rpms, same belly mower height. If I engage the blades before I lower the deck every thing is fine until I lower it. Belts appear to be ok, don’t see anything binding up the blades underneath.
thanks for your help!

So my description above was being relayed to me as I am not where the tractor is and is incorrect.

The tractor conks out whenever the clutch is engaged to start the blades turning regardless of belly mower height. To make things worse the PTO selector will not move. The person on-site assures me they didn’t run over anything and it developed these problems moving from one side of the property to another. The property is clean and only grass is being cut so I don’t see what could have happened.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It seems like the only thing that changes is the angle of the driveshaft when you raise or lower the MMM.

Until someone can give you some good advice, I would take a look at the driveshaft to make sure it’s on fully and has no other obvious visual issues.

JRBlanco

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Jun 18, 2021
Texas
It seems like the only thing that changes is the angle of the driveshaft when you raise or lower the MMM.

Until someone can give you some good advice, I would take a look at the driveshaft to make sure it’s on fully and has no other obvious visual issues.
Thanks!
But to expose my ignorance some more..... drive shaft on the belly mower itself?

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks!
But to expose my ignorance some more..... drive shaft on the belly mower itself?
yes, there should be a drive shaft from the mid PTO shaft to the mower gearbox. My tractor is not the same as yours, but that is the standard configuration.

edit: You could also try turning the blades on the mower deck with the mid PTO not engaged, and most importantly with the engine turned off, to see if there’s a difference when the mower deck is fully up and filly down.

If the blades turn relatively freely when the mower deck is up, but are locked in place when the mower deck is down, you’ll know there is a bind somewhere. I’ve never done this and I’m just assuming that you can do that even though there’s a gearbox involved, as long as the mid PTO is not engaged.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Ah, makes sense. I’ll try this weekend.
thank you so much.
Thinking about it, I wonder if there is a safety interlock involved. Just seems unlikely it would be some kind of binding in the driveshaft.

Perhaps someone with the same B2301 tractor or knowledge of that tractor can add something in this regard. For example, I believe I have read here at OTT that some newer tractors have an interlock preventing cutting in reverse. I think I remember it being said that those tractors will cut the engine if reverse mowing is attempted.

An interlock switch stuck in the wrong position might be your problem.

JRBlanco

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Jun 18, 2021
Texas
yes, there should be a drive shaft from the mid PTO shaft to the mower gearbox. My tractor is not the same as yours, but that is the standard configuration.

edit: You could also try turning the blades on the mower deck with the mid PTO not engaged, and most importantly with the engine turned off, to see if there’s a difference when the mower deck is fully up and filly down.

If the blades turn relatively freely when the mower deck is up, but are locked in place when the mower deck is down, you’ll know there is a bind somewhere. I’ve never done this and I’m just assuming that you can do that even though there’s a gearbox involved, as long as the mid PTO is not engaged.
PTO handle will not move☹
see my edit to my original post, blades won’t turn at all.

JRBlanco

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Jun 18, 2021
Texas
did pto selector get bumped ? , duno if would even make a difference?

part way in mid pto position ?
No, it’s in the right position. The Kubota dealer service manager suggested I raise the tractor up with the bucket, put some Jack stands under, take a good look under and make sure there is no debri biding up the blades. He said even a bunch of grass that had dried solid is hard enough to prevent the blades from turning if lodged just right. Surprised me but this is what he does for a living.

Next step would be to uncouple the belly motor from the PTO and see if it’s the belly mower bound up or the PTO

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
So the selector (REAR/REAR-MID/MID) does not move?

Also, whenever engaging PTO engage lever it binds and quits, or just quits?

This is an important question, in that it might be as simple as a wonky PTO Safety Switch. It could also mean something broken in the PTO drivetrain to the mower. Could be the tractor and/or the MMM.

Does this person on-site know how to operate the tractor, or are they making it up as they go along? Sorry for the direct question, but it is also important for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if the PTO Selector is jammed up, by shifting REAR/REAR-MID/MID while running. That's a wild guess..so don't hold me to it.

First thing is to make sure MMM is free. Sometimes gearboxes and front axles on new equipment are delivered to customers with little or no oil lubrication. Take deck off and make sure it turns free. Check to make sure gearbox is full of oil.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I would remove the mower and assume something is wrong with it. Run tractor around and see if it acts ok or still bogs down when it see some type of load.

Assuming the mower deck is the problem I would start looking at oil level in the gear box, belt improperly routed, bound pulleys, lack of grease in the spindle bearing.

If it is two months old with missing lubricant then return to dealer under warranty? I assume you’re saying it is new new not just new to you.

Good luck

JRBlanco

Equipment
Kubota B2301
Jun 18, 2021
Texas
So the selector (REAR/REAR-MID/MID) does not move?

Also, whenever engaging PTO engage lever it binds and quits, or just quits?

This is an important question, in that it might be as simple as a wonky PTO Safety Switch. It could also mean something broken in the PTO drivetrain to the mower. Could be the tractor and/or the MMM.

Does this person on-site know how to operate the tractor, or are they making it up as they go along? Sorry for the direct question, but it is also important for obvious reasons.

I'm wondering if the PTO Selector is jammed up, by shifting REAR/REAR-MID/MID while running. That's a wild guess..so don't hold me to it.

First thing is to make sure MMM is free. Sometimes gearboxes and front axles on new equipment are delivered to customers with little or no oil lubrication. Take deck off and make sure it turns free. Check to make sure gearbox is full of oil.
No problem with the direct question.
Heres an update:
Had them uncouple the PTO from the MMM and engage the clutch, all good.
The PTO selector still stuck, or at least they are uncomfortable putting too much force on it.
Next step investigate why MMM is bound up.
Everybody involved are tractor rookies

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
No problem with the direct question.
Heres an update:
Had them uncouple the PTO from the MMM and engage the clutch, all good.
The PTO selector still stuck, or at least they are uncomfortable putting too much force on it.
Next step investigate why MMM is bound up.
Everybody involved are tractor rookies
Good news so far. Sounds like a MMM issue, and not the tractor itself.

Take MMM off. Try to spin it via PTO shaft. Either shaft or gearbox is binding.

Will need to figure out PTO Selector lever issue, but doesn't sound like priority just yet.

EDIT: There could be something binding the belt, usually at the pulleys, and preventing it's normal travel.