B2150 HST no drive power

Dilly

Equipment
B2150 HST
May 13, 2021
Port Wing WI
Hello everyone,

This is my first tractor and I know very little about them at this point. I am a halfway competent hobbyist auto mechanic, but I know only what you can learn in a day about tractors and hydraulic systems. The tractor has 1600 hours on it and appears to be very well maintained. PO just completed a clutch job, but claims to know nothing about the problem that I am now experiencing.

The Problem:
The tractor can barley get out of its own way. Only drivable in low range (with throttle pegged), med, you can baby it on flat ground to get it going, high, not going to budge. FEL has tons of power, 3 point and PTOs work fine too. In low, I can sometimes just barley get the tires to spin in the mud, but if there is traction and resistance is met, I get some whine and then power just disappears. With my instinct and limited knowledge, I am worried the HST drive pump (??? thingy with the two pumps, swash plates, pistons, etc) is toast. Hopefully it is something much more simple and cheaper to fix. Other thoughts were high pressure relieve valve opening too soon, or speed control pedal/neutral holder out of whack because the pedal feels sloppy and doesn't like to return to neutral, but what do I know. Looking forward to reading your thoughts and advice, thanks in advance.

Attachments

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Can't help really, but is there a chance the clutch is the issue? With my B2910, if I would push the clutch in, the tractor will not move, I THINK! But I never checked this.

But since the clutch has an interlock that prevents starting if the clutch pedal is not depressed, I assume that is the case.

Who did the clutch job? Could the mechanism be out of adjustment? Any free play in the clutch linkage?

Just a couple thoughts until someone with more knowledge appears...

Dilly

Equipment
B2150 HST
May 13, 2021
Port Wing WI
Can't help really, but is there a chance the clutch is the issue? With my B2910, if I would push the clutch in, the tractor will not move, I THINK! But I never checked this.

I believe the clutch is functioning fine. Its disengages allowing me to change gears, and puts power to the hydraulics. if the clutch was slipping, I would smell it, and would not have been able to limp the tractor around for several hours as I did.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Just a dumb question,, have you checked the tire pressure? No Im not being a smart arse,, if the pressure is low enough the rim may well be slipping inside the tire,, seen it happen before

Dilly

Equipment
B2150 HST
May 13, 2021
Port Wing WI
Just a dumb question,, have you checked the tire pressure? No Im not being a smart arse,, if the pressure is low enough the rim may well be slipping inside the tire,, seen it happen before
I will verify, but I don't think so. It would still be able to move in all gears if that was the problem.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have no idea if this will apply to your tractor and situation.
Do you have a "speed set device" ?
My B7100 does which I never used until my BIL had set the lever for the speed device not knowing what he was doing. Next time I got on the tractor the hst pedal felt real sloppy and un responsive. I was barely able to get the tractor to move and back up in the garage . I thought something was seriously wrong.

Just a random thought as your symptoms remind me of how my tractor was acting.

Dilly

Equipment
B2150 HST
May 13, 2021
Port Wing WI
I have no idea if this will apply to your tractor and situation.
Do you have a "speed set device" ?
My B7100 does which I never used until my BIL had set the lever for the speed device not knowing what he was doing. Next time I got on the tractor the hst pedal felt real sloppy and un responsive. I was barely able to get the tractor to move and back up in the garage . I thought something was seriously wrong.

Just a random thought as your symptoms remind me of how my tractor was acting.
Hmmmmmm. My tractor does have a "cruise control" lever just to the left of the wheel with a locking lever on the right. I've never messed with it and I'm not sure how it works. That would be great if thats all it was. I'm going to be with the tractor tomorrow and I will check that out.