B vs L

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
What advantage/disadvantage between the B-series and L-series of around the same HP ?
For example Im looking at L2501 as compared to B2650.
Is the B-series more expensive, easier to operate, other advantages ?
I would be doing some single bottom plowing, driveway grading, bushhogging, and some box blade work.
Is the B2650 made for lighter work than the L2501 ?
Why would I want or need a B2650 rather than the L2501 Ive been looking at ?
After looking at some of the specs, Im curious.

eng1886trk

Equipment
2016 B2650, 60" bucket, QH15, RB1572, LR1572, BB1260, 42" forks
Mar 9, 2016
Lancaster, PA
B series:
Mid PTO for a Mid Mount Mower and/or for front mount PTO options (Snow Blower).
More Narrow than the L
Less Weight = easier on the yard
More Deluxe Features = Better Seat, controls
Backhoe seat is integrated (Main seat rotates like the BX)

L series:
More Heavy for Loader work
Wider = Better stability
More Robust in general for better ground engaging work (box blade)
Simple operators platform

I went with a B and now wish I went with an L for the weight and width. I love my B, don't get me wrong. I just got the B with the intention of getting the mid mount mower and I chose to buy a zero turn mower instead.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
Agreed. Also wish I gave the L2501 a little more of a look.

I absolutely love my B2650 and it does everything I want, but for the same price, +/-, I wish I gave the L a better look. I have no use for the mid-pto. Don't get me wrong, the B2650 is a PHENOMENAL machine that I plan to keep for the next 20+ years!

Also, just a note on the B... If you do get the backhoe (BH77), by adding the integrated seat, you loose the deluxe suspension seat. No big deal for me, but for some it might be. Also spinning the seat is a little bit of a PITA, you have to awkwardly reach in pull the lever raise the seat (to full height, otherwise seatbelt will hit and not allow it to spin) and spin it. Now after using all day with countless repositions, it would be easier to just have 2 seats and jump back and forth.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
B series:
Mid PTO for a Mid Mount Mower and/or for front mount PTO options (Snow Blower).
More Narrow than the L
Less Weight = easier on the yard
More Deluxe Features = Better Seat, controls
Backhoe seat is integrated (Main seat rotates like the BX)

L series:
More Heavy for Loader work
Wider = Better stability
More Robust in general for better ground engaging work (box blade)
Simple operators platform

I went with a B and now wish I went with an L for the weight and width. I love my B, don't get me wrong. I just got the B with the intention of getting the mid mount mower and I chose to buy a zero turn mower instead.
Agreed. Also wish I gave the L2501 a little more of a look.

I absolutely love my B2650 and it does everything I want, but for the same price, +/-, I wish I gave the L a better look. I have no use for the mid-pto. Don't get me wrong, the B2650 is a PHENOMENAL machine that I plan to keep for the next 20+ years!

Also, just a note on the B... If you do get the backhoe (BH77), by adding the integrated seat, you loose the deluxe suspension seat. No big deal for me, but for some it might be. Also spinning the seat is a little bit of a PITA, you have to awkwardly reach in pull the lever raise the seat (to full height, otherwise seatbelt will hit and not allow it to spin) and spin it. Now after using all day with countless repositions, it would be easier to just have 2 seats and jump back and forth.
You both gave me the answers I was looking for. When I consider my applications, I need to keep looking at the L2501.
Thanks for all the great help.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
The deciding factor for me was the factory cab, B2650HSDC. If I am not mistaken I don't think the L2501 has a cab option. I also like the footprint of the B, probably not as much a factor/difference than the L. Since the HP is the same is it the same engine and does the L have the DPF?

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
How much property will you be working with? Do you have room for the bigger tractor? Have you gone to a dealer yet and looked at them...the difference?
The L is considerably bigger. That may lose some maneuverability if that is a concern of yours. A bigger tractor has more weight and that can either be an advantage or disadvantage depending on what you are planning to do.
Go to a dealer and plant yourself in the seat. See what you like.
You are going to have it for a while so make sure it's a good fit for you.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
The deciding factor for me was the factory cab, B2650HSDC. If I am not mistaken I don't think the L2501 has a cab option. I also like the footprint of the B, probably not as much a factor/difference than the L. Since the HP is the same is it the same engine and does the L have the DPF?
L2501 does not have DPF, but it is not a big issue at all if you need more horsepower to go to an L3301 or L3901 with DPF.

B series has the mid mount PTO that is easily damaged in the woods, so if you don't need that feature an L is the ticket

If I were getting a cab tractor I would go bigger for a more spacious cab

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I looked hard at the B2650, but ended up getting an L4060 mostly for the additional size and weight for snow plowing. It’s easy to spend someone elses money, but the grand L cabs are really nice. I regretted not getting a cab 14 or so years ago when I bought my L3410.
I would avoid like the plague a B series with dpf (b3350)

Forvols

Jan 28, 2017
Hawkins county TN
I looked at drove both at the dealer. B seat was nice, but I didn't want a MMM. The L series 2501/3301/3901 is a basic tractor that you can get with 4WD/HST/FEL(and good amount of lift)/accepts a backhoe.cat 1 PTO, but no cab option(cab was not what I needed here). Some few other cats and dogs options available for B vs L...me

I went with the L/HST/4WD added a landpride 3pt quick hitch, 5ft hog,5ft boxblade. Thought the L fit more what I need done on my 17-20acres of mostly wooded land. How has it performed....dang thing works hard and done all Ive asked...and always ready to go at the turn of the key.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Slightly different models but 5 years ago I replaced a B7500 with a new L3200. The B did almost everything well for me. There were times when it came up short, but mostly just took more time and eventually completed the task. I've moved dirt, crushed stone and snow with both and the L is a lot more tractor.

The L is much more comfortable for me to operate and isn't difficult to maneuver. I had a mid-mount mower years ago but now have my third rear finish mower. It's a 6' deck and is a good match for our 3-1/2 acres. I've been doing the lawn for a neighbor (maybe 1/2 acre) for many years and the L works just fine there as well.

The The size of the tractor and mower doesn't present a problem when mowing around things. I recently started using a DeWalt 20V string trimmer because of the minimal amount of trimming at both places. Maybe once every 4-6 weeks I do pull out the gas trimmers to do the banks of the creek.

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
All really great help. Thanks.
I wont be getting a cab.
Im working about 5 acres.
Ive read enough and done enough research that Ive decide that the L2501 would better suit my needs.
Thanks again for all the help.