B series backhoe attaching question

kevko

Feb 17, 2011
Stratford, CT
Can anyone tell me around what year and model number the B series loaders began using a tool less method for installing and dismantling a backhoe attachment? Does this mounting method function similar to the smaller BX models where the hydraulic hoses get connected to control position of the backhoe so the tractor can be backed up and the bucket positioned into place, pinned and done?

I am looking to purchase a used B or BX tractor and want the backhoe feature, I know with the BX I need to get it already with it, but with the B models I think if it is not with the machine it can be added after.

Sincerely

Kevin

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
This doesn't really answer any of your questions but it could be useful to you. I had a B 7100 with a frame mount backhoe. It did fine with it in every way. The BH broke beyond repair and I purchased a 4672 Kubota BH to replace it. This is what is listed for a 7100 but it doesn't work. Yes it fits but you can forget being safe. Loose the ability to pull up on a trailer. No longer able to drive up a hill. Even after adding front weights, completely filled both front tires with fluid it still can't climb on a trailer. Built 6' ramps and the BH hangs to low to even back up the new ramps. Ended up with extra long ramps and still took 5' of 2x12 behind them on each side for the tractor to ever back up on the trailer. It did however give you the chance to ride some very impressive wheelies and also act like a strong man by picking up the front end by the loader bucket.

I only say this to warn you about which B you choose and the BH that you try to hang on its back.

kevko

Feb 17, 2011
Stratford, CT
Thanks for the honest feedback. Since recently joining this site, reading several of the strings of forums from actual owners, I have conirmed my decision to go with a BX version for numerous reasons, compactness to store it in my shed, the ease of mounting and removing the attachments, and the fact it will fit on my existing landscape trailer are just a few. For what I need and things I want to use it for. It should be plenty of machine. Now it is just a matter of scrounging a few more bucks and locating a fairly priced, well kept pre-owned machine.

kevko

Feb 17, 2011
Stratford, CT
After doing more research on my above question, I was able to find out that somewhere around 2005 ISH is when Kubota went to the easier backhoe connection system similar to the BX models. Before around 2005 a pump needed to be hooked up to the PTO to drive the hydraulics of the backhoe for aligning and installing. I am still not sure if this quicker method is limited to only using a Kubota Backhoe attachment or if after market units would function the same as far as attaching and detaching.