B/LX trailers

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I was looking at buying a 5x8 single axle dump trailer for my LX2610 for off road use and got hit with a long lead time and sticker shock so I may look at getting something made for hopefully less money and while the dump part would be nice it is more of a want than a need. What are you guys using for trailers behind your tractors? Bought or homemade? Please post pictures.

ZTMAN

Equipment
BX2380
Aug 26, 2018
South Central Pa
Do not have a pic. Tractor and trailer are at the camp. I just use a little retired 4x8 tilt. Retro fitted a HF cargo unloader to unload dirt or shale:

Works great. Some of the trails are a little tight at the camp, that is why I use the 4x8

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
best thread on the entire forum :)

Reactions: 1 users

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Do not have a pic. Tractor and trailer are at the camp. I just use a little retired 4x8 tilt. Retro fitted a HF cargo unloader to unload dirt or shale:

Works great. Some of the trails are a little tight at the camp, that is why I use the 4x8
That looks pretty slick and easy to remove if it wasn't needed.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
best thread on the entire forum :)
I hope so although there is a severe shortage of pictures now.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Got an old beater 7 x 14 twin axle single brake from a friend, not knowing yet what size tractor I was gonna buy. Sanded and ground on it and removed some deteriorated plywood sides his dad put on it, painted it black with rattle cans, and got it looking half way decent by the time I beat the dents out of the fenders. I didn't go quite as far as Andrew Camarata did. Started out looking at the BX's, but talked myself into the LX2610SU. The trailer has 1-1/2" angle rails, but at 7'wide (6'9" inside the rails), that shouldn't be an issue. His dad used to haul a bigger M series on it, as well as an old Ford 8N, and he's hauled his Grand L on it, so I know it'll handle the weight of the LX. I only gave $600 for it, so can't really expect it to be a show piece. I was looking for function, not pretty.

It has fold-down ramps (that I haven't sanded and painted yet), but no stabilizers on the ramps, meaning I'm a little concerned if I have to load the tractor on a slope. I'd like to add ramp stabilizers to keep it from lifting the back of my F-150 4x4 when loading, at least enough to keep all 4 feet on the truck firmly on the ground. What would be my best idea for getting measurements for the height of the stabilizers? Here's my plan, and if anyone can shoot holes in it, please do.
  1. Park the truck and trailer on my 'level' concrete driveway. (Rollaway risk mitigated)
  2. Chock wheels, obviously.
  3. Load the tractor on the trailer.
  4. Measure height of the ramp hinge pins from ground (concrete) level.
  5. Subtract 2" from that measurement to allow for trailer bounce, but not get stuck on the ramp stabilizers after loading.
  6. Cut angle and weld to ramps.
I've got to move two of the bosses for the ramp hinge pins in the rear because I think the ramps are going to be too far apart for the LX. I need to be able to slide the ramps in closer, but they have to come back out to the outside edges for the latches to hold them up. I have to replace one piece of angle that is twisted when I do that. His dad had a home-made single stabilizer in the middle, and forgot to raise it up one time. Didn't take long to realize the omission, but long enough to bend a 3" angle. He's had some pretty heavy equipment on this trailer.

I won't be hauling it very far or very often, but I prefer the trailer and anything on it be a unit when it starts rolling. I want it just as secure on my old beater trailer as it would be on a brand new one. I don't like moving bits on a trailer. That's guaranteed instability, even at low speeds. I won't be getting over 40 between here and the dealer, and cannot see myself getting out on the interstate with it for a very long time. Hoping to have a bigger/better trailer by then, and enough business to make that all pay for itself. Also hoping that it still fits if I change my mind again and add the BH77. Pretty sure I'll have to back it on because of departure angle if I add the hoe.

Anything I'm missing? Need to do this soon because I'm probably going to deliver the tractor to the dealer for it's 50H warranty service. I'm just under 40H now, and the weather is improving slightly. We didn't have a flood today. Time to get some real work done. Seems smarter to let the dealer do that service than wrestle with painted on filters, etc. Will probably remove the FEL for transporting for service, but need to also figure out loading technique with loader and my longest 3PH attachment as well. 14' is not a lot of trailer for the LX. I'm a little worried that the loaded rear wheels are gonna be a bit far back and cause tongue weight problems if I load it forward facing. I can probably put the front bucket up on the frame in front, though, and add some more hooks up there for binding it, which will let the tractor go forward a bit more.. Just have to be careful not to get close enough for the bucket to get my truck. Pretty sure that the front bucket has to be tied down separately in Alabama, especially if is SSQA. Will probably use ratchet straps for that, but already looking for bolt-on hooks for the frame. Does anyone use the draw-bar to chain the rear of the tractor

Still need to weld on some D-rings or hooks for chains/binders, too. The deck is pretty old, so I intend to go to the frame for my tie-downs. I'm figuring 5/16 - grade 80 chain and ratchet binders should be more than sufficient to hold the LX. AND I need to get a brake module for the truck. Fortunately it's already wired with a 7 pin connector and I have a plug-in harness for the in-cab wiring. All I need is the module. Any recommendations on that would be welcome as well. Doesn't have to be snazzy, just needs to help slow down the trailer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm hoping to trade out my 6by10 TA dump and 5by8 SAutility for most of the coins for a 5by8 SA dump. While it only has 1/2 the volume,it'd be 1 less trailer to have to store. 5by8SA dumper is about $5000 up here, walways in stock(local MFR...)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought an aluminum 10'x5' Cargo Pro trailer about seven years ago to pull behind my Jeep but it's also a great trailer to pull behind the BX. I only have 20 acres but I've used this trailer a fair amount to haul firewood, old decking, rocks, gravel etc around the property. No doubt I'll be pulling it behind the MX too. I've wanted to replace the plywood floor with aluminum diamond plate for a few years so hopefully will get to it this year. It's an awesome little trailer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Aluminum trailers are ok... until they get eaten by the road salt and repairs are needed. Most guys ain't skilled to do Aluminum welds.... One neighbour found that out , the hard way, his fractured and the cost to repair was obscene....

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Aluminum trailers are ok... until they get eaten by the road salt and repairs are needed. Most guys ain't skilled to do Aluminum welds.... One neighbour found that out , the hard way, his fractured and the cost to repair was obscene....
Was the fracture due to corrosion?

The Cargo Pro is in excellent condition (floor withstanding) perhaps because I try to limit the use of my trailers in the winter months, particularly if there's salt on the road. If I have to use a trailer I'll get the pressure washer out when I get home. I do tend to look after things, e.g. I've had my '98 Jeep TJ for over 20 years and it looks and runs better than many Jeeps that are a lot newer. My truck is an '02 F250 7.3L also in excellent condition.

I was a welder/diver for many years before changing careers to mechanical engineering. I have Miller, Lincoln and Hypertherm welding/cutting equipment with TIG, MIG and stick processes so if I need to do repairs I'm more than able to.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I bought an aluminum 10'x5' Cargo Pro trailer about seven years ago to pull behind my Jeep but it's also a great trailer to pull behind the BX. I only have 20 acres but I've used this trailer a fair amount to haul firewood, old decking, rocks, gravel etc around the property. No doubt I'll be pulling it behind the MX too. I've wanted to replace the plywood floor with aluminum diamond plate for a few years so hopefully will get to it this year. It's an awesome little trailer.

I'm starting to lean towards something like this for the yard and I could use it with our Santa Fe. I have a 16" double axle enclosed trailer I use with the F250 and down the road pick up a flat deck large enough to haul the tractor if needed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
The road salt is real nasty up here and it'll hide in every hidden nook and cranny. it'd probably cost $20 at carwash per trip to get it really clean,well 'de-salted'..... Sad thing is I drive the same roads with my overloaded steel trailer....no failures.... Maybe a 'poor' OEM weld then the salt attack ? Al doesn't like to bend or stretch the way steel does, even in the short term. heard you should never,ever overload an AL trailer.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I'm starting to lean towards something like this for the yard and I could use it with our Santa Fe. I have a 16" double axle enclosed trailer I use with the F250 and down the road pick up a flat deck large enough to haul the tractor if needed.
Trailers are a bit of an addiction for me. I have the Cargo Pro, a PJ 16' dump trailer, a rolling chassis from a camper that I might turn into a rolling chicken coop, and a MIDSOTA NOVA ET 22', 15.5k GVWR that I bought yesterday.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
The road salt is real nasty up here and it'll hide in every hidden nook and cranny. it'd probably cost $20 at carwash per trip to get it really clean,well 'de-salted'..... Sad thing is I drive the same roads with my overloaded steel trailer....no failures.... Maybe a 'poor' OEM weld then the salt attack ? Al doesn't like to bend or stretch the way steel does, even in the short term. heard you should never,ever overload an AL trailer.
I think it's criminal that salt is still being used on the roads.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought the Cargo Pro to pull behind my Jeep since it's half the weight of an equivalent steel trailer. The Jeep is only rated to pull a max of 2,000 lb so it was important to keep the trailer weight down. The one shown weighs about 415 lb and has a GVWR of 2200 lb so it's nicely matched to the Jeep to optimize load capacity and to minimize dead weight when pulling empty. It also doubles nicely as a general purpose trailer for use with the tractors where it sees no salt.

Unlike steel, aluminum has no infinite life so it tends to fatigue even at loads less than 50% of the yield strength.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I was looking at buying a 5x8 single axle dump trailer for my LX2610 for off road use and got hit with a long lead time and sticker shock so I may look at getting something made for hopefully less money and while the dump part would be nice it is more of a want than a need. What are you guys using for trailers behind your tractors? Bought or homemade? Please post pictures.
I've been looking at small farm dump trailers for a couple of years, in the meantime I have been using a similar size utility trailer. I've battered the utility trailer fenders into trees, broken the lights so many times and just hate unloading that trailer by hand. I finally decided to pull the trigger and spend some money. I just purchased a small farm dump for use behind my L series, 5' x 8', rated for 2 tons, well built and will be put to use as soon as the snow clears. Simple set up of 2 hoses for rear remotes and an onboard cylinder, I like that it has no wheels sticking out and no lights to break. I'll be fitting a couple of side boards to raise the side height.

Trailer is by Berkelmans Welding of Ontario Canada. Is also available as a smaller 5' x 6' or as a 4 wheel trailer, fits to the tractor drawbar. I'm so looking forward to getting things to where they need to go and just using a rear remote to dump the load, it will be so much more productive. Yes it was more expensive than a utility trailer and maybe a little more expensive than a road tilt but it will outlast me by decades ..lol The wood side boards will take a beating from my grapple without me damaging the trailer, great idea.

cylinder
IMG_8750.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg

IMG_8759.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
I've been looking at small farm dump trailers for a couple of years, finally decided to pull the trigger and spend some money. I just purchased a small farm dump for use behind my L series, 5' x 8', rated for 2 tons, well built and will be put to use as soon as the snow clears. Simple set up of 2 hoses for rear remotes and an onboard cylinder, I like that it has no wheels sticking out and no lights to break. I'll be fitting a couple of side boards to raise the side height.

Trailer is by Berkelmans Welding of Ontario Canada. Is available as a 5' x 6' or as a 4 wheel trailer, fits to the tractor drawbar.

cylinder View attachment 55282 View attachment 55283
View attachment 55285
They make awesome products ... I looked into having the very same trailer made for myself but with tandem axle, self contained pump and brakes. For me it would have been $7700 + tax which is too close to the price for a "proper" road-trailer. I 'm currently looking at a galvanized N&N 6x12' 5-ton hydraulic dump for $9300 CND ... Again, Berkelmans makes beautiful stuff!!
thumbnail_IMG_4837.jpg

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
They make awesome products ... I looked into having the very same trailer made for myself but with tandem axle, self contained pump and brakes. For me it would have been $7700 + tax which is too close to the price for a "proper" road-trailer. I 'm currently looking at a galvanized N&N 6x12' 5-ton hydraulic dump for $9300 CND ... Again, Berkelmans makes beautiful stuff!!
View attachment 55286
I shopped a number of manufacturers and dealers for a small farm dump trailer my 5’ x 8’ was $4,500 US delivered to my door in Michigan, it’s a very nice product, manufacturer commented that really it is 3 ton rated trailer. Competition was in the same price range and higher. Mines going to get a lot of use!

My requirement is to get in the woods and on woodland trails, a road dump is too large and heavy, this narrow single axle farm dump will work great behind my L series and allow me to clear fallen timber, roots and brush. It will allow me to transport timber around my 300+ acre property.

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
I shopped a number of manufacturers and dealers for a small farm dump trailer my 5’ x 8’ was $4,500 US delivered to my door in Michigan, it’s a very nice product, manufacturer commented that really it is 3 ton rated trailer. Competition was in the same price range and higher. Mines going to get a lot of use!
It's a beautiful trailer! Looking into this 2-ton trailer sent me into a spiral of research trying to find a clean/off the shelf way to get rear remotes on my BX25D ... I gave up lol. When you do get to using it, you should start a new thread and show it off - I would love to see it in action somewhere other than their YouTube channel.

-James

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com

My requirement is to get in the woods and on woodland trails, a road dump is too large and heavy, this narrow single axle farm dump will work great behind my L series and allow me to clear fallen timber, roots and brush. It will allow me to transport timber around my 300+ acre property.
As luck would have it, I happened upon a used Berkelmans Welding "2 ton Big Lil Dumper" for myself ... picked it up today for about $1,800 USD. It's 5 wide and 6 long. Everything works but it needs a rim. I'm making a video and I'll post it up sometime Saturday! Next project is going to be rear remotes (I've found some helpful stuff online but I may ask for more help here)! I've got a new KX-040 excavator coming this spring and this BX/Dumper will make a great team to help keep the dirt moving. I'm pretty excited - didn't want to really spend the cash for a highway dump trailer but I wanted THIS kind of quality!

Here is the manufacturer's video ...

Big Lil Dumper PROMO from Manufacturer

- James

IMG_4896.JPG

Last edited: