Auger For BX?

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
I have a BX2360. I'm entertaining getting an Auger. I'm in the very beginning stages and haven't found one, and am just assuming I could get one for a BX.

However, before I get too far was hoping for some feedback. Basically, would an auger put too much stress on a BX?

Maybe things have changed over the years, I remember I was considering getting the BX25, so I could have a back hoe. I was talked out of it due to the stress on such a little tractor.

Would an auger be the same?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have a BX2360. I'm entertaining getting an Auger. I'm in the very beginning stages and haven't found one, and am just assuming I could get one for a BX.

However, before I get too far was hoping for some feedback. Basically, would an auger put too much stress on a BX?

Maybe things have changed over the years, I remember I was considering getting the BX25, so I could have a back hoe. I was talked out of it due to the stress on such a little tractor.

Would an auger be the same?
It would not be the same because there are really no such issues with the backhoe on a BX series tractor that has the factory backhoe installed on it as part of the package.

There have been come things come up with the backhoes themselves, but nothing related to stressing the tractor, at least nothing that is common.

With the PHD, be sure what you buy is designed for the small size of the BX and that you can get enough lift from the 3PH to use the PHD.

Not sure I would like the operation of a PHD on my BX, but that is because I have the larger tractor with a foot clutch, and a little more lift so a standard PHD works fine.

With the BX, you have the hydraulic clutch activated by the hand lever. Perhaps someone who has used a PHD on a BX can tells us how they like it and how well it works for them. I do not think stress on the tractor would be a major issue, but the hydraulic clutch does engage quickly with no real option for feathering engagement.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Why an auger ? Hmm how deep and big are the holes ?? What type of soil ?? any ROCKS !!!!
be it 10 holes or 100, probably cheaper and easier to rent a '1 man' auger.
Either a 3ph or ldr version auger takes awhile to figure out. I bet you could get 10 holes dug with a 1man unit, before you 'dial in' hole to get a tractor mtd unit to make 2 holes.
MY BX23S has a backhoe...ZERO 'stress' on the tractor,though it is FRAME mtd, not 3PH.
If you do get an auger, be sure it has REVERSE !!
While I have access to a big tractor 8" auger, 4' deep, it was cheaper and easier to have a 'kid' come and drill/set 24 posts.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
If you do get an auger, be sure it has REVERSE !!
Where does one find a reversible PHD for a tractor, that is operated by the rear PTO?

Love to have one...sure would beat manually unscrewing a auger that caught a root and screwed itself all the way down before I could react...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Well the 50+ year old one I didn't use for my D-14 reversed. 'Old skool' tech, simple really. Similar to a car differential. 'fix' one of the spider gears, you get fwd, 'fix' the other, you get reverse. I have no idea who made it,probably gone to China 3-4 decades ago,big HEAVY beastie, but I have used the 'fwd-rev using diff' principle a few times for 'projects' over the years.
These days 'they' use hydraulic pump,motor and valve. Smaller,cheaper, easier to make.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Everything Attachments has one specifically for the Sub compact/BX tractor that is designed to address the lack of lift height etc. They have a video explaining their development of it too.

AKguy09

Equipment
LX3310/ Cab 1950 F- Cub
Nov 22, 2017
ellicott, colorado
If its not needed for more than one job, you would be better off renting one of those hydraulic augers from Home Depot or other rental places.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
If its not needed for more than one job, you would be better off renting one of those hydraulic augers from Home Depot or other rental places.
I have found this to be true for a lot of attachments I use. I can rent a 3pt tiller for $85 from a local farm store, or I can buy one for $1000-2000. I only till for a day a couple times a year, so I just cant justify the expense of buying one.

Figure buying a carry all, box scraper and tooth bar would be worth it. Past that I wouldn't use it enough.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I needed 10 holes drilled and I called a local farmer whom I’d seen had a PHD hanging from a tree in his yard…. so I called him and asked if he’d rent it to me for a day for $50. He agreed. I picked it up with my tractor since he only lived 2 miles down the country road.
I thought that was a good deal… but six months later I need to drill two holes for plum trees. Then 3 mos after that I need one drilled for a flag pole. Then another few months need to plant a lemon tree. This was getting old.
Then recently, I needed six holes to anchor uprights for a new boat-shed….and TSC had their PHD on sale for $500 … If I’d seen that TSC price a year earlier I’d have already had it half-paid for.

I’ve only needed it twice more since I bought it for the boat-shed job…. But it sure is handy to have when a project idea suddenly occurs… and surprisingly when the PHD is just sitting in the shed … ideas needing holes drilled just keep on coming.

Soo… IMO, …buying a useful implement isn’t a Cost… it’s a savings-account that can be cashed-out pretty easily should you decide you no longer need it…. just don’t fall for a “designer-implement”… PHDs are pretty basic and there’s no need to spend a $1K or more on one. For example, there’s a pretty well-known implement company who takes your money up-front and then builds their stuff (supposedly) while you wait…. and they have numerous videos online touting how much bigger/better/stronger their stuff is than mass-produced implements…. Their PHD video discusses how much larger their gearbox is and how the “arm” is designed so much stronger…. But the dozens of other brands of PHDs don’t suffer from failures of those items…so why does it pay to fix what ain’t broken?
Just remember, if all those other implement brands have been around for decades doing their job… then they must be adequate for the job without costing your first-born.

YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

PNWBXer

Equipment
BX2380
Feb 24, 2020
Washington
I have found this to be true for a lot of attachments I use. I can rent a 3pt tiller for $85 from a local farm store, or I can buy one for $1000-2000. I only till for a day a couple times a year, so I just cant justify the expense of buying one.

Figure buying a carry all, box scraper and tooth bar would be worth it. Past that I wouldn't use it enough.

That math adds up to me buying one.....especially considering the resale value of the tiller. If I had to use a tiller twice a year.....I would buy one without even a hesitation......obviously if I could afford it.