Are the "C" hooks always facing the outside of the tire?

SpokaneDude

Equipment
BX2350, FM 125 tiller, Land Pride blade, BotaProducts fuel & HST filter mods
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
I know this is probably a lame question, but I installed my ATV Diamond Tire chains on my BX2350, and wasn't paying attention to the logic of the installation. I installed the right side with the "C" hook facing out, and on the left side, the "C" hook is facing the inside of the tire! After looking at it for a few days, I think I got the left side inside-out... I think the "C" hook should be on the outside of the tire on both sides.

Can someone please verify this? I would appreciate it. :-}

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I know this is probably a lame question, but I installed my ATV Diamond Tire chains on my BX2350, and wasn't paying attention to the logic of the installation. I installed the right side with the "C" hook facing out, and on the left side, the "C" hook is facing the inside of the tire! After looking at it for a few days, I think I got the left side inside-out... I think the "C" hook should be on the outside of the tire on both sides.

Open hooks of any type should be away from the tire sidewall.

It reduces spot pressures on the rubber from the open ends of a hook.

Dave

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Hmmm... I don't think I made myself clear: the "C" hook is the one, normally on the outside that initially connects one length of chain to the other when first installing the chain.

Hope that helps...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hmmm... I don't think I made myself clear: the "C" hook is the one, normally on the outside that initially connects one length of chain to the other when first installing the chain.

Hope that helps...
The open end of THAT C should face outside too - for the same reasons Dave mentioned.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

Hope that helps...
I would think if you put the chains on as you described, the right wheel would mimic the left wheel, and there would be no issue, other than inconvenience when removing the chains and having to deal with the C hook being on the inside of the tire.

Been wrong before though...

Reactions: 1 user

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
I would think if you put the chains on as you described, the right wheel would mimic the left wheel, and there would be no issue, other than inconvenience when removing the chains and having to deal with the C hook being on the inside of the tire.

Been wrong before though...
Well, they seem to work OK, but the left wheel is really tight and it looks like I put them on wrong... also, I don't remember how I did it last year! (that's the real problem!)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Hooks on the outside on both sides. How I mount mine on the front axle when plowing snow. I put a rubber tarp strap 'X"d on the hooks to keep them taut as well.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Open side facing out though I hook it on the inside of the tire so making final tightening can be comfortably done from the outside.
It also is easier to simply hook a link while lying under the tractor than putting the adjuster side together

SpokaneDude

Equipment
Oct 24, 2020
Spokane, WA
Open side facing out though I hook it on the inside of the tire so making final tightening can be comfortably done from the outside.
It also is easier to simply hook a link while lying under the tractor than putting the adjuster side together
Thanks so much... makes perfect sense... SD

Tioga Tim

Equipment
B2620
Nov 11, 2020
Upstate New York

I bought new double rings for my big IH farm tractor a couple years ago and ended up not using the c hooks. After one episode of one of them coming undone in the dark - that was enough for me. I put on a pair of those repair links that have threaded couplers and use those. I also put a small bolt and lock nut on the outside latch so that could not fly open. Having the chain wrap around the axle in the dark, 10 degrees, and a foot of snow was no fun. It was cheap and easy improvement.

Tim