Aortic Heart Valve Replacement

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
My wife, has her procedure scheduled for Thursday April, 15th.

She has been increasingly loosing her stamina and now gets "winded" during very mild exertions. Her problem is that her Aortic Valve has calcified and the opening is now small, plus it does not close completely/properly. Her progress has been being monitored regularly with echo cardiograms and more recently with a heart catheterization which showed no heart damage and no blockages.

There are two different Aortic Valve replacement procedures; Surgical Aortic Valve Replacement (SAVR) and Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement. (TAVR). The SAVR requires opening the chest and heart and having the new valve sewed into place whereas with the TAVR the new Aortic Valve is inserted through a catheter and situated within the old defective valve.

Thankfully she qualified for the TAVR procedure. She should spend one night in the hospital and be on sorta limited duty for a few days. We are looking forward to her getting her "life" back.

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Prayer for you and your wife.

It amazes me how far cardiac surgery has come. She will have surgery, stay overnight, and then be home. That is quick.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Prayers sent.

Justasquid

Equipment
L4240HSTC
Nov 2, 2020
Michigan
Best wishes to a speedy recovery. It is amazing how quick and non envasive the procedures have become. My father has had multiple heart procedures with valve replacement, stents, ablasions and a pacemaker. all of his recoveries were only days and just a little tired for those days. Then major improvement of quality of life afterwards. I’m sure she will be her old self within days and things will be so much better.

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Good wishes for her recovery, glad to hear she is able to have the TAVR procedure.
At the time, my 95 Y.O. father needed heart vale replacement but was too frail and his valve too calcified to have any procedure done; so the Docs sent him home to die with a 3% chance of survival. That was 3.5 years ago and while he is still frail and very weak, he is still hanging in.
Sounds like your wife will have a better result.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Best of luck to your wife. We all are rooting for her speedy recovery, and back to a normal life.

Last edited:

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Prayers be with you and your wife, I’m sure things will be back to normal before you know it. Tell her the gangs rootin for her!🙏

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Magicman... and MRS Magicman.... Myself AND my powerfully-influencial-with-the-Lord-wife... will pray for you BOTH.

I didn’t always believe in prayer.... until my own medical condition came to a head in 2003.

Short Version: Lying in ICU for THREE DAYS with Fibrillation and the doctors advised me they HAD to do a procedure which might end my life.....but if I survived would definitely end my flying career. They wanted to begin the procedure in 30 Minutes.

My wife had promised me NOT to put me on the ”prayer-chain” at church (becuase/due to my pride ...I didn’t want anyone to know my situation.). She appraoched my bedside and suggested WE pray. I immediately RAISED HELL with her saying “I TOLD you NOT. To do that!”

She said, “You asked me not to... so I didn’t.... but there’s no reason ...YOU AND I ...can’t pray!”

I thought it would make HER feel better.... but felt it was only a gesture...so I said, “Well.... OK.”

She led us into a short, personal prayer...and in a few moments the nurses-station erupted into a cacophony of excitement and my doctor and all the nurses at the station burst into my room....
My doctor said, “What the hell are you trying to do...?... CHEAT ME out of a Mercedes-Payment...?....”

I said, “Huh?”

He replied, “The patient-monitor at the nurses-station just indicated your heart returned to NORMAL RYTHM! I will release you to go home this afternoon!”

THAT WAS THE DAY I understood the POWER OF PRAYER!

I and my Sweet Wife. Jamie, .... WILL be offering a Prayer for your wife AND YOU, Magicman!

Last edited:

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Thanks to all for your Prayers and Well Wishes and yes, we absolutely and unashamedly believe in the Power of Prayer.

Our family has also been dealing with another medical issue:

We have had an unspoken medical situation with a 57 year old daughter since November that has been a burden emotionally for both of us. She suffered a bleeder stroke and had to have a palm sized section of her skull removed to allow her brain/fluid to expand to prevent brain damage. That section of her skull was inserted within her abdominal wall for safe keeping and was reinserted back onto her skull this past week. She got out of ICU yesterday and is now in a room. She does not appear to have any physical impairments but she suffered optic nerve damage in both eyes and will now have no vision in one eye and very limited vision in the other. We are very thankful that she is alive.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I have no words..😔 other than hang in there Magicman..

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Best wishes to you & Ms Magicman!
When I went on the the kidney transplant list in 2015 I had to have a full workup where they discovered I had a large ascending aortic aneurism. It had to be repaired before my transplant.
After all was said and done I think its all plumbing :) They do great things today and will do better ones tomorrow.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
We just got a facetime from our Daughter and she looked and sounded good. She will get a shunt Tuesday to remedy the fluid buildup. We are excited.

Reactions: 3 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
We just got a facetime from our Daughter and she looked and sounded good. She will get a shunt Tuesday to remedy the fluid buildup. We are excited.
👍sorry for the edits.. smilies wasn’t working for me..
Great news!

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
The daughter's skull re-attachment/insertion seems to be successful and so far the neurologist has not added the shunt. Hopefully she will improve and it will not be necessary.

And this morning my wife had a successful aortic heart valve replacement. She is feeling fine and hopefully will be able to leave ICU tomorrow and come home.

Reactions: 7 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
The daughter's skull re-attachment/insertion seems to be successful and so far the neurologist has not added the shunt. Hopefully she will improve and it will not be necessary.

And this morning my wife had a successful aortic heart valve replacement. She is feeling fine and hopefully will be able to leave ICU tomorrow and come home.
Great news all around. Will say a pray of thanks and for continue blessings on your family.