anyone used the land pride SA20-03 skidsteer post hole digger on a Kubota BX23S?

Bitbob

Equipment
BX23S-EA grapple- wallenstein chipper-mid mt mower-Backhoe etc.
Nov 18, 2021
Oregon
I am considering a land pride SA20-03 skidsteer attached post hole digger which LP claims works on tractors with 6-15gpm hydraulic flows. It lists the Kubota BX line as compatible and I have a BX23S with a 6gpm hydraulic flow. None of my local dealers have had any experience with this attachment but all are skeptical that the 23S will have enough hydraulic flow to run the implement. Has anyone used this attacment on a BX with a similar flow rate? I currently run the backhoe , front end loader, mid mt mower, a 3pt brush grinder, and grapple all of which run fine.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Not yet…I picked mine up from dealer on Friday morning. It is resting peaceably in my barn. I am not sure about the -03 of the model. I have a B and an MX. My B is probably about same capability as yourMX just a little bigger footprint and maybe a little heavier. I honestly got it for my Mx. that’s what I asked dealer to set it up for. Probably not a huge difference in flow but the Mx would have a little more. I really stewed over it honestly if my MX would have enough flow. I think a skid steer would be ideal. But I am taking a chance on the front loser option for the tractor. Dealer seemed to think it should work on my B but maybe not ideal performance. I am not doing it for a living so if it can spin that is still better than the grief I would get from asking wife to dig a hole for me. I believe there are thee motor options. I am not sure which you need or what I got. I assume I got something less than skid steer. Just my guess.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Not yet…I picked mine up from dealer on Friday morning. It is resting peaceably in my barn. I am not sure about the -03 of the model. I have a B and an MX. My B is probably about same capability as yourMX just a little bigger footprint and maybe a little heavier. I honestly got it for my Mx. that’s what I asked dealer to set it up for. Probably not a huge difference in flow but the Mx would have a little more. I really stewed over it honestly if my MX would have enough flow. I think a skid steer would be ideal. But I am taking a chance on the front loser option for the tractor. Dealer seemed to think it should work on my B but maybe not ideal performance. I am not doing it for a living so if it can spin that is still better than the grief I would get from asking wife to dig a hole for me. I believe there are thee motor options. I am not sure which you need or what I got. I assume I got something less than skid steer. Just my guess.

Attachments

Bitbob

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Oregon
Both of your Kubotas have quite a bit more hydraulic flow than mine so they should work with it fine. The 03 is the digger motor with the lowest flow rate range 6-15gpm. The others are rated to take higher gpm. From what I can understand the flow rate mainly translates to the speed which the auger turns and has little effect on the torque of the auger. Good Luck.

Last edited:

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Both of your Kubotas have quite a bit more hydraulic flows than mine so they should work with it fine. The 03 is the digger motor with the lowest flow rate range 6-15gpm. The others are rated 6-30 gpm. From what I can understand the flow rate mainly translates to the speed which the auger turns and has little effect on the force of the auger. Good Luck.
I started a thread a few weeks back about it…I am sure you can find something it. There were some suggestions of other models. Maybe check that out. Personally I have an awesome dealer and they will make anything right. So I buy what I can from them. I think if you do not have a relationship with a dealer for whatever reason you could find other options and save some cash. Personally I am happy to support a local dealer who takes care of me. Mine came to fix a hydraulic leak on a Sunday without me asking them too.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I started a thread a few weeks back about it…I am sure you can find something it. There were some suggestions of other models. Maybe check that out. Personally I have an awesome dealer and they will make anything right. So I buy what I can from them. I think if you do not have a relationship with a dealer for whatever reason you could find other options and save some cash. Personally I am happy to support a local dealer who takes care of me. Mine came to fix a hydraulic leak on a Sunday without me asking them too.
Also if flow a concern I belive you can ask dealser to have long coses to back of tractor if you have extra functions. I am not sure Bx has that or not but it might have more flow off the rear end? It does for Mx but that is a different animal. Maybe ask dealer about that.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Paging @NHSleddog
I know he needs to use like 800 pounds of counterweight on his B2650 when he runs his loader auger. Also more flow than BX. But he has extensive experience with it, hopefully he'll be by

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yes flow (GPM) controls the speed the auger turns, pressure(PSI) the 'torque'(aka drilling ability)

do you have a need for the unit ? I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper/easier to just rent a PHD for a day or week... than to outright buy the SS-PHD.
maybe have a PHD-dude do the drilling for you ?? I did this he was FAST and ACCURATE and cheap.
Wonder how many holes you'd have to drill to 'break even' ?
jes thinking of options...
hate anyone spend their money and not be happy about it.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I don’t want to be the negative guy here but my experience in running anything at minimum hydraulic flow rate is that performance is seriously less than satisfactory.

Will it work, sure just not as intended.

My experience mainly comes from running attachments on my track loader that has high flow hydraulics. Attachments run at regular flow are just not acceptable and are barely useable.

Reactions: 1 users

Bitbob

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Oregon
yes flow (GPM) controls the speed the auger turns, pressure(PSI) the 'torque'(aka drilling ability)

do you have a need for the unit ? I'm wondering if it'd be cheaper/easier to just rent a PHD for a day or week... than to outright buy the SS-PHD.
maybe have a PHD-dude do the drilling for you ?? I did this he was FAST and ACCURATE and cheap.
Wonder how many holes you'd have to drill to 'break even' ?
jes thinking of options...
hate anyone spend their money and not be happy about it.
Well i actually have a phd and have only used one 2 or 3 times on an old JD three wheel and almost pulled it over on me. I now lack the strength to mount it up and have no one to help. So I am looking for something that mounts on the quick attach. I need it all the time to do repairs on a wood-post electric fence that is getting old with a lot of posts rotting off (very wet ground at bottom of hill). So given the circumstances I think this would be the right answer [If it Works].

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, so a real ongoing, need for it !!

more options ?
1) add a PTO hydraulic pump/tank/valve to run the SSQA PHD ?
Had a Cockshutt30 with one of them to run a loader,sure small volume but it worked.

2) maybe bodge a 'one man auger' to a SSQA blank plate ? Since they spin on engine RPM, only a simple,longer throttle cable is needed to operate it.

1) gives you LOTS of GPM but 'messy' install, and $$$ 2) is simple install, EASY to use...should be cheaper.

Bitbob

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Oregon
I am considering a land pride SA20-03 skidsteer attached post hole digger which LP claims works on tractors with 6-15gpm hydraulic flows. It lists the Kubota BX line as compatible and I have a BX23S with a 6gpm hydraulic flow. None of my local dealers have had any experience with this attachment but all are skeptical that the 23S will have enough hydraulic flow to run the implement. Has anyone used this attacment on a BX with a similar flow rate? I currently run the backhoe , front end loader, mid mt mower, a 3pt brush grinder, and grapple all of which run fine.
Update on this question-Just talked to landPride and they indicated they will be in production with an SA10 hydraulic phd in april of next year 2022 that is designed for BX tractors with only 4-5 gpm at the 3rd function terminal, and more specifically the BX23S. It will run on only 4-8gpm and has been tested with up to 32 inch augers in 6 and 9 inches. It is also quick hitch compatible and lighter. It will be cheaper.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
It will probably turn it with a small diameter bit, my concern would be manipulating it (picking it up, FEL curl, etc) and height.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Where are you located? What size bit are you planning to use? How deep.

Lift capacity will be the biggest problem on the BX, then lift height will be a problem for 4' bits.

The hydraulic flow will be plenty for all the BX can handle.

Reactions: 1 user

Bitbob

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Oregon
Where are you located? What size bit are you planning to use? How deep.

Lift capacity will be the biggest problem on the BX, then lift height will be a problem for 4' bits.

The hydraulic flow will be plenty for all the BX can handle.
Well guys I decided on the Digga hydraulic PHD for skid steer mt. from everything attachments because it is optimized for 4-12 GPM flow rates and provides 49RPM at 1700 psi and 4gpm which the BX23S provides. Since I have to make a 48" deep hole for my fence posts I might have to run the front up on some kind of support to get the clearance required for the 48x9 auger I ordered but that is simple enough. Also I figure I could dig a little to make a starting hole and allow for auger clearance. We shall see what works best after it gets here and I will post the results here. Thanks for your comments and suggestions... PS They are also the only seller that had anything in stock!

Reactions: 1 user

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
thats great news!
which Digga model had that flow rate spec?

Bitbob

Equipment
Nov 18, 2021
Oregon
thats great news!
which Digga model had that flow rate spec?
B737:The model DDD universal Skid Steer Auger Drive Package / Single Speed-Direct Drive-4to12 GPM standard flow. With the 9" A4 auger 48" overall length. EA had the best and most complete breakout of the DDD drive Specs at different GPM and PSI rates--cudos to them!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Since I have to make a 48" deep hole for my fence posts I might have to run the front up on some kind of support to get the clearance required for the 48x9 auger I ordered...
Just a curiosity question. In Oregon, I'm surprised you need to go down 4 feet.

Is there a reason? I thought, but do not know for sure, that posts only needed to be below the frost line, whatever that might be in your area.

I think here in SW PA the actual frost line depth is under 2 feet, but for a water line they make you put it four feet down. 4 feet down for a fence post just seems like a lot!