Anyone try a lawn tractor snow cab on their BX?

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Kubota BX1870, FEL, BX5450 Snowblower, back blade, customized snow cab
I have a BX1870 with a front snowblower and want a bit more protection from the blowing snow. I found a Y-tube video of a guy who fitted up a golf cart cab. Not bad but not great either. I found this cab for another orange tractor dealer for a garden tractor and am wondering if anyone has tried to fit it to a BX?
Husqvarna / 594 00 85-01

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
No clue if that husqvarna cover will work but depending on one’s capabilities anything is possible.
Something to think about is if your trying to avoid the blowing snow and adding a cab either soft or hard your gonna need a way to keep those windows clear inside and out.

Reactions: 1 user

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Thanks Hkb82,
I hear you. My last cab tractor was a Green 40hp with a front blower and a Sims hard cab with soft doors. It kept the blowing snow off and I found that since the tractor was kept in my unheated barn it didn’t collect much snow outside the cab and there was enough air moving inside so it didn’t fog up either. I had planned on a heater but decided it wasn’t really necessary. I did have a front wiper but almost never used it. I suppose the front soft plastic on that orange cab might be changed out for lexan and mount a wiper?
At this point I am more concerned about fitment as my 1870BX might be a bit bigger than that Husky lawn tractor. No dimensions are given for the cab AFAICS.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I was going to get a clear shower curtain from the $store, use magnets to attach 'as required'
but
it only snowed twice here.....

maybe next year !

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I built a cab for my BX and only used it a few times for a few minutes each. I didn’t even get to run it long enough for the cab to heat up. Maybe next winter.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
In the 30+ years since we built here I've used open station, a DIY cab and a factory cab. Each has its own place. I wouldn't want to be without some sort of protection for snow removal.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
I see Husqvarna raised the price on their lawm tractor snow cab about $100. I looked and found a source at last year’s price and ordered one before the new price set in. It arrived a couple days ago. I just got a chance to open it up and test fit it. The overall size is good but the mounting system will need customizing. The frame is extremely well made and assembles without tools. The cover seems nicely made too. I had to remove the top section of the ROPS but in winter I will just be on my relatively smooth paved driveway so rollover seems unlikely or nonexistent. Too bad someone doesn’t make a shorty replacement for the top.
I now need to cut the mounting brackets to get 2 tubes to mount on the tail lights and 2 for the foot boards at their extreme front. Not a big deal but a little welding will be needed. The fabric around the rear corners will need to be slit to allow the top to fit around the rear light mounting bolts too. I think a hot knife should do that and avoid fraying.
I’ll post up again when that is done.
IMG_1386.jpeg IMG_1387.jpeg IMG_1388.jpeg IMG_1389.jpeg

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
I got the instal nearly done today by constructing brackets for the frame posts to fit into. In the front I welded a washer to the bottom of a salvaged piece of the frame I didn’t use for each side. I’ll drill a hole through for a cotter pin to keep the wind from lifting the cab there.
IMG_1392.jpeg
At the back I cut a section of the other end of the same leftover piece which had a bracket that I used to bolt through into the rear light brackets.
IMG_1391.jpeg
Then I cut a slot in the rear corners to fit around the light mounting bolts.
IMG_1393.jpeg
That will get some trim and a strip of Velcro to hold it closed. The fabric has tabs to keep it attached to the frame so I plan to store it in my barn. I’ll get two brackets to clamp on the pipe at the top center and use a coupleof pulleys and rope to raise it above my other junck stored there. I should be able to lower it near the tractor and fit the frame posts into the brackets. I have to say it seems good to have this done in the spring instead of in November working in the cold, rain, or snow! Total cost $349, total time 5 hours.

Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Looks good!

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Looks like you were able to make it happen. Looks good and nice post for others to give them alternatives for adding a temp cab for snow blowing.

RDinNHandAZ

Equipment
Thanks, Yes it fits OK and the modifications allow it to be taken off in 10 minutes with no tools. It’s hung up in the barn ready for snow. I hate to spend money but I also hate being cold and covered with blown snow. The total cost was $360 and probably 2 hours of head scratching to come up with the mounts plus two hours of fabrication and two trips to the hardware store. I like that it is orange and the frame of the kit is really well made. The plastic and fabric are good as well. Time will tell.
IMG_1404.jpeg