Anyone try a Heavy Duty Grapple on Grand L

CanAmsxs

Equipment
GrandL
Jan 23, 2021
Alabama
I decided on a Grand L6060. Now I need to purchase a Grapple. I have read several articles about using 450lb or less grapple. I really like the HD 60 inch double thumb from Rake Master and LMC. They look well made but are both over 700 lbs. The Grand L is a 60 HP "Compact" tractor. I have found no videos with a 700 lb grapple on a Grand L 60 HP tractor. However the website for Rake Master and LMC say there Heavy Duty 60 inch grapples are for 60HP tractors. I have a old Massey and an old Ford, I have never used a front loader or grapple. I have had several pine trees removed and I need to clean up the remaining roots and remove some older fallen trees. I know my Grand L has about a 600 lb less payload than say a M60. Bottom line since the Grand L is my tractor of choice do I need to stay in the 400 lb grapple range and go with something like the EA wicked 60 inch grapple. I have some several hours on my old farm tractors and I am pretty good on a fork lift but the bucket and the grapple on a tractor is a brand new world for me. Thank you in advance for your input.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Which loader model does yourL6060 have. I see a few options.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I decided on a Grand L6060. Now I need to purchase a Grapple. I have read several articles about using 450lb or less grapple. I really like the HD 60 inch double thumb from Rake Master and LMC. They look well made but are both over 700 lbs. The Grand L is a 60 HP "Compact" tractor. I have found no videos with a 700 lb grapple on a Grand L 60 HP tractor. However the website for Rake Master and LMC say there Heavy Duty 60 inch grapples are for 60HP tractors. I have a old Massey and an old Ford, I have never used a front loader or grapple. I have had several pine trees removed and I need to clean up the remaining roots and remove some older fallen trees. I know my Grand L has about a 600 lb less payload than say a M60. Bottom line since the Grand L is my tractor of choice do I need to stay in the 400 lb grapple range and go with something like the EA wicked 60 inch grapple. I have some several hours on my old farm tractors and I am pretty good on a fork lift but the bucket and the grapple on a tractor is a brand new world for me. Thank you in advance for your input.
You will need a HEAVY counterweight.

The L6060 is very light in the rear.

A 700 Lb. grapple is simply too heavy. You will have very little payload with such heavy grapple.

Get a much lighter grapple for your L6060.

SDT

Reactions: 1 user

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I have the EA 55" Wicked Root Grapple. If you are worried about damaging the lighter weight grapples from EA, you will not. I have moved concrete, trees, implements, anything I wanted. The lighter grapple allows more lifting capability towards the load. As it was noted, you will want some good counterweight because you will end up lifting your butt off the ground.

Resized_20191221_120549.jpeg

Resized_20191227_121534.jpg

Resized_20191231_132648.jpeg

Resized_20200903_171724.jpg

20201221_113921.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

BA76

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400 Tractor, RB3784 Rear Blade, RCF2072 Brush Mower, FDR1672 Finish Mower
Dec 21, 2020
Illinois
I would definitely go with a lighter grapple. I just sold my 66” Bobcat root grapple that I had for my T650 CTL. I thought I could continue to use it on my new MX5400. The tractor hydraulics handled it fine but it was just to heavy at almost 900lbs. After just a couple uses, I promptly sold it and ordered a comparable Root Grapple from EA. It weights around 450lbs. Much more compatable to my tractor. A long lead time but I know it will be worth it. I simply didn’t do the math when I sold my CTL and bought my tractor. The MX5400 is an awesome tractor and I’m very pleased with its capabilitie. I just needed to be more aware of it’s attachment compatability. The pictures are of the 900lb beast I sold

Attachments

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Take a look at MTL Attachments, they have a large range of affordable grapples. Everything Attachments Wicked model is nice but is expensive. You can comfortably run a 400lb model. Also consider which design of grapple you are looking for and how you plan to use it.

CanAmsxs

Equipment
GrandL
Jan 23, 2021
Alabama
I decided on a Grand L6060. Now I need to purchase a Grapple. I have read several articles about using 450lb or less grapple. I really like the HD 60 inch double thumb from Rake Master and LMC. They look well made but are both over 700 lbs. The Grand L is a 60 HP "Compact" tractor. I have found no videos with a 700 lb grapple on a Grand L 60 HP tractor. However the website for Rake Master and LMC say there Heavy Duty 60 inch grapples are for 60HP tractors. I have a old Massey and an old Ford, I have never used a front loader or grapple. I have had several pine trees removed and I need to clean up the remaining roots and remove some older fallen trees. I know my Grand L has about a 600 lb less payload than say a M60. Bottom line since the Grand L is my tractor of choice do I need to stay in the 400 lb grapple range and go with something like the EA wicked 60 inch grapple. I have several hours on my old farm tractors and I am pretty good on a fork lift but the bucket and the grapple on a tractor is a brand new world for me. Thank you in advance for your input.

Attachments

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
LA 1055 is my loader model, thank you to everyone for your input.
Your loader is similar to my LA1065 on my MX5800, it is very capable, you can easily run a 600lbs grapple. Once grapples get beyond the 750lbs weight they are meant for skid steer use. My recommendation is to stick with the 450 to 650 lbs with a 60 or 66” width. There are a lot of options in the market place.

I like the twin lid design, consider also the depth and height of a grapple, there are different designs too. I would not get too fixated about HP rating of grapples,anything over 40hp will work well for you.

Everthing attachments makes great products, there wicked grapple is highly rated, light but also expensive. MTL attachments has a wide range of grapples that are affordable.
Good luck making a selection.

I like the look of the CR61G by Rake Master that you mentioned. I find this type of rake blade arrangement very strong and efficient for removing roots, I have similar on an excavator and on a root rake for my dozer.
Remember that your tractor has limited weight and has limitations on what you can do with a FEL. Grapples are great accessories and can be good for root work with limitations. Grapples are invaluable for moving brush and clearing up downed trees.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

CanAmsxs

Equipment
GrandL
Jan 23, 2021
Alabama
Your loader is similar to my LA1065 on my MX5800, it is very capable, you can easily run a 600lbs grapple. Once grapples get beyond the 750lbs weight they are meant for skid steer use. My recommendation is to stick with the 450 to 650 lbs with a 60 or 66” width. There are a lot of options in the market place.

I like the twin lid design, consider also the depth and height of a grapple, there are different designs too. I would not get too fixated about HP rating of grapples,anything over 40hp will work well for you.

Everthing attachments makes great products, there wicked grapple is highly rated, light but also expensive. MTL attachments has a wide range of grapples that are affordable.

I like the look of the CR61G by Rake Master that you mentioned. I find this type of rake blade arrangement very strong and efficient for removing roots, I have similar on an excavator and on a root rake for my dozer.
Remember that your tractor has limited weight and has limitations on what you can do with a FEL. Grapples are great accessories and can be good for root work with limitations. Grapples are invaluable for moving brush and clearing up downed trees.

[/QUOT

Attachments

CanAmsxs

Equipment
GrandL
Jan 23, 2021
Alabama
I want to thank everyone for sharing there views, I like many products available for the Kubota Grand L. I really like the grapples offered by Everything Attachments, however the 11 weeks lead time was to long for me. I decided on a MTL 60 inch RK5. They had one available, my nephew lives about an hour away from there plant and he was kind enough to go over, pick it up and bring it 3 hours drive to me. The Kubota dealer was kind enough to hook it up to my new tractor and so far I am very pleased with it. I have a lot to learn, but I am having fun.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I want to thank everyone for sharing there views, I like many products available for the Kubota Grand L. I really like the grapples offered by Everything Attachments, however the 11 weeks lead time was to long for me. I decided on a MTL 60 inch RK5. They had one available, my nephew lives about an hour away from there plant and he was kind enough to go over, pick it up and bring it 3 hours drive to me. The Kubota dealer was kind enough to hook it up to my new tractor and so far I am very pleased with it. I have a lot to learn, but I am having fun.

Congrats on your purchase.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I'm glad you made a selection, the MTL grapple you have purchased is about 600lbs how does it feel on the front of your FEL LA1055 ? Are you happy with the grapple build, MTL make many models and are very reasonable. I'm sure prices will go up as the cost of steel is rising.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
When I purchased my 4760 with 1055 loader, I ordered a 4 in 1 bucket with the tractor. I also have my rear tires loaded. Based on horsepower rating my dealer recommended a standard duty skid steer 4 in 1 that with teeth that weighs 670 lbs. The implement MFG agreed with the dealers recommendation. That bucket is a beast and you really feel the weight even empty. The tractor rocks and sways and really rides rough. When picking up a load of mulch it easily lifted the rear tractor tires. I had to purchase the Kubota ballast box and fill the box with roughly 1k lbs of gravel to be able to stabilize the tractor.
Two weeks ago I purchased a 64" grapple that weighs 500 lbs. It fells like the perfect match for my tractor. I am sure if I throw the ballast box on I will have plenty of capacity. Based on the Grappel mfg rating 50 HP is the maximum recommended for this grapple. Long story short, be skeptical of the implement Hp ratings. IMG_2338.jpg IMG_3332[21107].JPG IMG_3332[21110].jpg

Last edited:

captmikem

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660 MX 4800 and a bunch of attachments.
Mar 16, 2017
SW Washington State.
I have to say there is little my grapple will not handle, it is the most versatile attachment I have. And it is GREAT for clearing blackberry bushes which seem to take over here in the PNW.

M

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I've got a dual lid 60" MTL grapple on my L4240. It's an excellent tool, especially for the price they sell them for, however I don't think it would weigh 600#. I have never weighed it though, just my opinion. Closer to 450-500 max.

CapnDean

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L6060,ZD1211
Feb 22, 2018
Gulfport, MS USA
my grapple is 600 Lbs I usually hand the box blade on the back for a counter balance. I can pick up plenty f weight with no issue.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Filled rears and a BH 92 on a MX5400 enough counterweight for a 500-600 pound grapple?
That’s plenty of counterweight, I use a 650 lb grapple on my MX5800, loaded rear and ballast box, it’s a beast.

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
Like other overly ambitious tractor owners moving up to a larger tractor, I made the error of ordering too large and heavy a grapple for my Grand L6060 when I purchased the tractor and the attachments as a package with favorable Kubota financing.
I bought the Land Pride SGC2072 grapple because of the very heavy-duty construction I required for trail clearing.
It was not meant for use on a tractor, even though the loader could handle it. Far too heavy an implement for the front of the tractor and it felt unsafe and unbalanced on anything other than level ground.
So I agree that weight of the grapple is very critical in making the choice. Also, in hindsight, I did not really need a 72" wide grapple. 60" would have easily done the job.
Good ending to the story: I went ahead and got a small tracked skid steer, and this grapple is ideal. My Kubota dealer loves me as I am putting his kids through college at this rate.