Anyone own one of these?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

If so what do you think of them? Just like everything else right now they could be hard to find.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion

If so what do you think of them? Just like everything else right now they could be hard to find.
I have one of their coal/wood furnaces. My model has been replaced by an import and replacement parts for mine are either not available or the prices are beyond belief. Before purchase, check about parts availability and prices. My thought is that USSC was a good American company that is degrading into a warehouse for imports.

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I have one of their coal/wood furnaces. My model has been replaced by an import and replacement parts for mine are either not available or the prices are beyond belief. Before purchase, check about parts availability and prices. My thought is that USSC was a good American company that is degrading into a warehouse for imports.
Thanks for the reply, they look good but like anything it's best to do your homework before you buy.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY

I have looked at the one they make that doesn't use electric, I wasn't sold on it.
This is my 4th Harman and love it as much as all the others.
1637770862516.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have a USSC coal wood burning stove in the basement,, and like the man says CHECK PARTS availability

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Very nice and great reviews, thanks for sharing.
bear - like Tom, there’s a few other guys here with Harman stoves. I’ve had mine 15 years and have run almost 80 tons through it.

Can’t help with your investigation, but my first questions were hopper storage and BTU capacity of the unit.

I’m a little pessimistic about it’s operating capacity given its so small. Concern it’s components aren’t very stout, and it’s run-time may be short given it’s configuration.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have looked at the one they make that doesn't use electric, I wasn't sold on it.
This is my 4th Harman and love it as much as all the others.
View attachment 70310
I found the Harman site, but did not easily find an answer to the question I had.

I take it this is a pellet stove and has a flue that probably comes out the back and through the wall? And might pull in combustion air the same way?

I was hoping to find the answer by looking at some installation instructions, or a manual or something, on the site, but gave up as this information was not immediately apparent...

Also, second question. If one has natural gas available for heating, does the pellet stove end up being cheaper as far as cost for energy input into the home goes? Granted the ambiance is much better!

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
I found the Harman site, but did not easily find an answer to the question I had.

I take it this is a pellet stove and has a flue that probably comes out the back and through the wall? And might pull in combustion air the same way?

I was hoping to find the answer by looking at some installation instructions, or a manual or something, on the site, but gave up as this information was not immediately apparent...

Also, second question. If one has natural gas available for heating, does the pellet stove end up being cheaper as far as cost for energy input into the home goes? Granted the ambiance is much better!

HERE'S THE install Manual for the one I have. As far as venting and intake you need to look at who makes the Thimble , I used Dura-Vent and the intake air is built-in to it. Absolute43C_3-90-00772i_Install.pdf (hearthnhome.com)
We go back to the main heater if the O/A Temp goes below 25F or so, the up stairs bed room and Bath get cold and worry about freezing the water lines in the walls as well as getting some heat into the basement.
I burn about 40 Lbs a day so it's like $5 Bucks a day.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

HERE'S THE install Manual for the one I have. As far as venting and intake you need to look at who makes the Thimble , I used Dura-Vent and the intake air is built-in to it. Absolute43C_3-90-00772i_Install.pdf (hearthnhome.com)
We go back to the main heater if the O/A Temp goes below 25F or so, the up stairs bed room and Bath get cold and worry about freezing the water lines in the walls as well as getting some heat into the basement.
I burn about 40 Lbs a day so it's like $5 Bucks a day.
Henro - - I think Tom's Install Guide should be self-explanatory.

I have a Top Vent Adaptor on my XXV that runs into a normal 6" tile thimble as you would use for a woodstove. Several new Harman models use the same style top vent adapter.

I do not use a fresh air intake. Our house is drafty enough that I didn't think it needed.

A newer or more insulated house should use one.

As far as comparative prices, there are MANY calculators on-line that can help you.

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating | Coalpail.com

My break-point is around $1.80/gallon of home heating oil, and a pellet cost of about $250/ton.

Like Tom, I use on average about 1.25 bags per day over a season. 5 tons total for a year, +/-... I burn less than 30 gallons of heating oil....pellets are main source.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Henro - - I think Tom's Install Guide should be self-explanatory.

I have a Top Vent Adaptor on my XXV that runs into a normal 6" tile thimble as you would use for a woodstove. Several new Harman models use the same style top vent adapter.

I do not use a fresh air intake. Our house is drafty enough that I didn't think it needed.

A newer or more insulated house should use one.

As far as comparative prices, there are MANY calculators on-line that can help you.

Fuel Comparison Calculator for Home Heating | Coalpail.com

My break-point is around $1.80/gallon of home heating oil, and a pellet cost of about $250/ton.

Like Tom, I use on average about 1.25 bags per day over a season. 5 tons total for a year, +/-... I burn less than 30 gallons of heating oil....pellets are main source.
Thanks for that!

Tom’s installation guide answered my question, and the link you provided RCW was very enlightening regarding comparative costs of using differ energy sources.

Thanks to you both for posting these details.