Anyone have a Woods FPS (Food Plot Seeder) e.g. Woods FPS72

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That's great news! Nice to be able do a couple of test runs before putting out big bucks and give you more time to find a deal if it does work out.
I have to be out of state for a week so am in the process of cancelling one of the bookings. I'm hoping to look at a Truax no-till seed drill this week. I have some work lined up and might still make use of the second booking the last weekend of the month, unless I find a decent no-till at a reasonable price.

One person with 30 acres now wants me to seed in the fall due to having the field sprayed for weeds this spring. I could use a seed drill at my place and my friend's place, so I'm not opposed to buying something, and it sure makes doing work for others a lot easier both in terms of availability and cost estimates.

It amazes me how these little no-till seed drills are just smaller versions of the huge drills that farmers use for corn, soybeans, or whatever all over the US. The small units are gravity fed as opposed to having compressed air to aid in delivery, and many farmers use some form of gps mapping and guidance, but at the end of the day, the job is to get seed in the ground to a certain depth, get good seed to soil contact and to distribute the seeds as evenly as possible.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Talk about a day late and a dollar short. The individual who had listed the Truax FLEXII-86 responded Sunday to inform me that someone was ahead of me and had said they'd pick up the drill first thing Monday morning. The seller told me he'd let me know if it was still available later Monday. Turns out it was too good of a deal to pass up and it sold yesterday.

This was the deal of the decade and I missed it! The seller was asking $8k for what was basically a new drill. That drill new from Truax is $22k or more today. Either it was stolen or the seller had no idea what a seed drill like this was worth. Heck, Truax has way worse used drills for sale on their website and the asking prices are significantly higher. Either way, I really missed out on what looked to be an amazing seed drill at an unbelievably good price. I'm never going to buy a $20k + implement that I use twice a year, but $8k for a nice drill that could pay for itself in a couple of years ... that's doable.

The only bright spot in this missed opportunity is that the drill seeding width is only 4ft. Truax makes larger units of course, and if money were no object I'd at least go with the 8 row model or bigger.

truax_1.jpg

truax_2.jpg

truax_3.jpg

truax_4.jpg

Last edited:

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
Too bad you missed that one. Any rental yards around that might be open to selling one of their units?

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Too bad you missed that one. Any rental yards around that might be open to selling one of their units?
Good idea but no one rents seed drills up here other than conservation districts. The Flathead Country CD is considering buying one for renting but they have no place to store it. I offered to store if for them of course! ;)

I still have the four-day booking the last weekend of the month and am hoping to help my friend out at his place and also seed 6 acres for a customer. Another customer wants 30 acres seeded in the Fall. I really missed out on the Truax above. :cautious: I'll get over it though.

The price of seed is kind of crazy at the moment though. I told my friend he's looking at around $1k for the seed drill, the seed, fuel for the tractor etc., and he's not paying for my time or my tractor. Anyone looking to hire someone to do seeding might be in for a shock.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

KNPV PSD

Equipment
L6060HSTC
Dec 15, 2021
NW Montana
Just FYI Lake County has their reservations open for next year online. Also If you upgrade your trailer let me know. I am in the market for something.