Anyone have a "Magic Keyboard" ?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
No it doesn't type your homework for you...

I am thinking about replacing this elderly Android tablet, haven't solved the Chrome tabs problem, and it is looking like I'll be spending the next 6 or 8 months on Zoom. I am sick of rrhing tontype on this touch screen, and stumbled on an ad for this magic keyboard. Pity it is designed for the fanciest iPad out there!

What I want to know is the whole rig stable enough to sit comfortably on a lap? And if it is on a table can you tilt the screen and camera past the vertical (less than 90 degrees) so the camera is looking slightly downward? (Zoom exercise class). I spent about an hour on Apple care calls, with no real help. They wanted to rea d the technical specs, which I had done already, and no one actually had typed on one. Yes I know it is held on with magnets....one seemed to think it would close itself if it was tilted past vertical, true?

Any help appreciated. Can't go to store right now.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Honestly never heard of it until reading this. However, depending on what your use case is and if you need to get the new iPad with it you might be better off just getting a 2 in 1 laptop. For an equivalent amount (1300 bucks is what it looks like it costs for both the iPad and the keyboard from a 30 second search) you can get quite the 2 in 1 laptop that is lightweight, has a real keyboard, or it can be folded/keyboard removed to be compact like a tablet.

If you are just using it for zoom/skype/video calls, internet searches, word processing and video streaming, I would seriously consider something like the Lenovo Yoga or Dell XPS. You can pick them up for around a grand and even the lowest tier have more power than an iPad without much compromise on weight at 3 lbs (granted an iPad is 1 lb but that is without the magic keyboard). Since they are mostly normal laptops they would be able to be at an acute angle without falling and since they are only mostly laptops they can be folded flat so the screen is showing like a tablet.

EDIT: forgot to include information.

Last edited:

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I purchased the magic keyboard when I also bought my IPad pro.
the two positions only really allow for about a 10 degree past vertical. So if I understand your question correctly is that no, you can not set it so the camera faces down.

As far as sitting on your lap its stable if it’s in the position that allows for typing. If your using the position strictly for viewing it’s not that stable due to a much much smaller base.

As far as typing I found I really liked the keyboard. Unfortunately I use my IPad out in the field a lot and tend to be rough on it. The keyboard material at the side seams have seperated and the keyboard function is lost. I still use it as a cover and as a way to set the iPad for viewing movies or face timing.

Botton line, if I did not have other more important purchases I would replace it with a new magic keyboard from Apple.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks Ken, ccoon, that is helpful. I did wonder if a laptop might be better. The other two functions that I use my tablet for are navigation, velcro'd to the dash, and picture taking outside. Well, 3, I toss it in my backpack for killing time in Dr's visits. The only reason for switching to Apple is my phone is now Apple, and the Android doesn't seem to deal with the file format easily. Would be nice to access the cloud collection from either device.

I think the 10 degrees down might be enough, I'd have to try it and see. And/or find another box for it to sit on.

After that the problem is replacing my old Dell Latitude...it is in a dockingstation, love that old thing. Too heavy to carry around, but did everything I needed. Must be about 12 years old.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Thanks Ken, ccoon, that is helpful. I did wonder if a laptop might be better. The other two functions that I use my tablet for are navigation, velcro'd to the dash, and picture taking outside. Well, 3, I toss it in my backpack for killing time in Dr's visits. The only reason for switching to Apple is my phone is now Apple, and the Android doesn't seem to deal with the file format easily. Would be nice to access the cloud collection from either device.

I think the 10 degrees down might be enough, I'd have to try it and see. And/or find another box for it to sit on.

After that the problem is replacing my old Dell Latitude...it is in a dockingstation, love that old thing. Too heavy to carry around, but did everything I needed. Must be about 12 years old.
I absolutely love my Ipad. I have a very nice laptop running Windows 10 and have not turned it on in about 4 years. Ipad goes with me everywhere while my laptop was just too bulky to have the same portability. The Ipad takes decent outdoor pictures if the light is good, I check and load pictures from 6 trails cams out in the field. It has very decent photo editing software built in. The Ipad works well with the Imac at home. Since making the switch to Apple 5 years ago I have been pretty much free of computer hassles.

Reactions: 1 user

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
I absolutely love my Ipad. I have a very nice laptop running Windows 10 and have not turned it on in about 4 years. Ipad goes with me everywhere while my laptop was just too bulky to have the same portability. The Ipad takes decent outdoor pictures if the light is good, I check and load pictures from 6 trails cams out in the field. It has very decent photo editing software built in. The Ipad works well with the Imac at home. Since making the switch to Apple 5 years ago I have been pretty much free of computer hassles.
We kicked windows to the curb many years back, we both have a Mac Mini and my wife also has an IPad, never have a problem with any of them

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
We kicked windows to the curb many years back, we both have a Mac Mini and my wife also has an IPad, never have a problem with any of them
To each their own. I usually use my desktop if I am going to be doing anything because my laptop is slower and is heavy enough that I don't like carrying it around. However, with the ultralights that are coming out now my wife and I will be getting one of the small light laptops when we can afford it. The reasons I suggest Windows is I don't like paying the 100-500 dollar apple tax that all of their stuff seems to come with, windows has more compatibility with programs, I can replace parts/upgrade on a windows platform which you just can't do with apple anymore and since I use windows for work I am more comfortable with the platform.

I fully understand the whole iPhone, iMac, and iPad everything is connected and works together thing but it has never been a hinderance for me to just have my phone next to me to respond to texts or calls. However, Sheepfarmer if that cross compatibility is something that you like and/or you are more comfortable in the Apple space I would suggest a macbook air. Still ultra light, can handle most of those functions that you mentioned (minus the navigation you might just want to get a Garmin for that police, at least in my area, like to write tickets for tablets/phones being used when driving) you want it to and crests most of the annoying pitfalls of a tablet.