Anyone have a Bearcat SC5540 or Woods 5000?

5fm

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 5, 2020
CT
Is anyone running one of these chipper/shredders on a pto less than 25hp? My BX23s bogs down almost to stall when I activate the pto and doesnt seem right to me. Curious if anyone has any similar or different experience. They are the same exact units, but the bearcat says min 25hp at the pto and woods says min 15hp at the pto. Thanks in advance.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Is anyone running one of these chipper/shredders on a pto less than 25hp? My BX23s bogs down almost to stall when I activate the pto and doesnt seem right to me. Curious if anyone has any similar or different experience. They are the same exact units, but the bearcat says min 25hp at the pto and woods says min 15hp at the pto. Thanks in advance.
Are you engaging the PTO lever at low revs and then bringing up the engine speed over time (5 seconds) to the correct PTO speed? Remember you are having to start up the 125lb rotor that this model of chipper has.

If you are just trying to engage the PTO at normal PTO running revs of 540 you will bog down your tractor.

Have you checked the rotation of the rotor on the chipper by manualy turning the pto shaft, does it turn freely. Good luck with it.

5fm

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 5, 2020
CT
Thank you - so I tried low rpm and the tractor stalled. Had to be up around 2500 to get it going. Shaft turns by hand just fine.