Any residential hvac guys here?

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Hope somebody here can help me out. Strange issue that happens once every 4-6 weeks with my air conditioner. Outside unit will kick on and run fine, blower inside the house will not turn on, outside unit will not cut off and evaporator will freeze solid. Wait until it thaws out and turn it back on and all is well for weeks.

I have replaced capacitor for blower, have tried spinning blower and tapping on motor and doesn’t go, can hear the controller clicking like it’s working.

Anybody here got any ideas? I would call hvac company to come out but since it’s so random they will probably just be guessing too. Thanks in advance.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Very random and the condenser fan would run but no cold air in the house.

It turned out to be an electronic board that had a crack in it and would connect and disconnect depending on vibrations. It did take the service tech a couple of times to isolate it. It was a Lennox unit. Perhaps the tech will know if similar problems are common with your particular unit, and have a good starting point.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Hope somebody here can help me out. Strange issue that happens once every 4-6 weeks with my air conditioner. Outside unit will kick on and run fine, blower inside the house will not turn on, outside unit will not cut off and evaporator will freeze solid. Wait until it thaws out and turn it back on and all is well for weeks.

I have replaced capacitor for blower, have tried spinning blower and tapping on motor and doesn’t go, can hear the controller clicking like it’s working.

Anybody here got any ideas? I would call hvac company to come out but since it’s so random they will probably just be guessing too. Thanks in advance.
Where it the Evap.Unit locataed? If in the attic or above a ceiling the Drain pan my be clogged/ slow draining and it could have a float switch locking out the blower.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Where it the Evap.Unit locataed? If in the attic or above a ceiling the Drain pan my be clogged/ slow draining and it could have a float switch locking out the blower.
In a closet on the main floor of the house. I will double check but I don’t recall seeing a float in the pan last time I cleaned it out. So inconvenient to take a day off work to wait for a repair man to come guess. But also no fun getting home and the house is hot as heck then waiting for it to thaw out :mad:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
In a closet on the main floor of the house. I will double check but I don’t recall seeing a float in the pan last time I cleaned it out. So inconvenient to take a day off work to wait for a repair man to come guess. But also no fun getting home and the house is hot as heck then waiting for it to thaw out :mad:
If its not a float switch, I'd look at the Contactor for the
Evap fan, i.e bad or weak coil which holds in the contactors

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Good luck with that. Mine was blowing the fuse to the wall thermostat and ac would not work. The 3rd time the tech came out , he followed the line from the unit to the wall. A #$%^ rat had chewed the insulation off the wire and everytime he came back to chew some more , the lines would touch and blow a fuse. I left him a lot of stuff to eat under the house.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
It could as already stated be a failing board but it could also be the wiring harness. The Rheem furnace I had was doing the exact same thing as yours and after changing the board it again failed. Ended up being a poor connection on the blower connector. I cut the 9 pin connector out and redid the connections. Never crapped out again. Good luck.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Thank y’all for the responses, I did forget to mention this only happens with the ac, doesn’t happen with the heater on.

GeoBx2680

Equipment
FEL, 60" mower, 60" plow, Pallet Forks, 50" snowblower Front mount
Oct 8, 2018
Mn USA

I have replaced capacitor for blower, have tried spinning blower and tapping on motor and doesn***8217;t go, can hear the controller clicking like it***8217;s working.

Anybody here got any ideas? I would call hvac company to come out but since it***8217;s so random they will probably just be guessing too. Thanks in advance.
The speed tap on the fan could be bad. you problem have like a 1/3 hp PSC motor 3 speed.
Turn power off to your furnace and try switching the speed taps on the main board. You will have one speed on a park terminal the other 2 will be going to cooling and heat terminals. Pull the park terminal and switch it with the cooling terminal. You could also check with model serial number seee if theres any recall or service bulletin on the furnace.

What kind unit is it ?

And far as the float switch we use a puck switch it flat like a hockey puck lays in the pan any moisture sensed it will shut the system down. But most guys will also wire switches to the A/C unit 24v so it only kills the condenser. Fan will blow but no cold air.

I usually tell people they just need a new one when they ask me questions but you live to far away. Lol

Hope this helps

Last edited:

Talenel

Equipment
B2601HST
Dec 10, 2018
Staples, MN
Had what you described happen to a unit at work last week.

Traced it to a bad contactor, replaced and gtg.

Another unit was similar this week but it turned out to be the temp control unit.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
It turned out to be an electronic board that had a crack in it and would connect and disconnect depending on vibrations.
Haven't had your specific problem, but I'm quite familiar with cracked runs & joints on the electronics board. I have 2 gas pack/AC units (nat gas furnace & AC combined) on the roof and had trouble for years with one or the other intermittently not starting the furnace. They either worked flawlessly or not at all. My AC guy said it was most likely a bad solder joint on the board, but replacing it was a crapshoot, because the all came from Mexico, with poor quality control. Being a Nasa certified solder tech, I would inspect the board with a good microscope, find a bad joint, & re-flow it, then I was good to go, for a while. Finally got tired of chasing the problem so I re-soldered/reflowed both sides of both boards with quality solder, and haven't had any problems for several years.

jackfrank

Jun 23, 2019
USA
I got the same problem but didn't know anything more because my father does everything for it. It's now OK. Probably, he changes the unit.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Must be a luxury, we don't have ac, never have, well, a window unit in the bedroom, thats it. 15 years old, runs good, sleeping cool is a must. Think I paid 150 bucks for it and when it pukes, I'll shove it out the window and put in a new one.

Me rentals both have central ac and I'm sure glad I don't pay the Edison bill.:D

ac tends to impact my sinus in a negative way. I run it in the tractors and car but only in a marginal setting. I use anti-persperant. it's cheaper.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Not a luxury here.

Gosh - never been to your neck of the woods, but I can’t imagine life without it from some of the weather channel forecasts I see for your area.

Kinda like heat in my neck of the woods....

I have a buddy that jokes we only have 2 seasons;

Winter and the 4th of July.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Gosh - never been to your neck of the woods, but I can’t imagine life without it from some of the weather channel forecasts I see for your area.

Kinda like heat in my neck of the woods....

I have a buddy that jokes we only have 2 seasons;

Winter and the 4th of July.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Up this way they say " Two seasons, Shoving & Swatting"

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Gosh - never been to your neck of the woods, but I can***8217;t imagine life without it from some of the weather channel forecasts I see for your area.
This is from a couple years ago, it's on my covered patio off the back door, NOT in direct sunlight, white roofing, shaded by a tree. It's actually hotter than that, but the needle is against the peg.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
This is from a couple years ago, it's on my covered patio off the back door, NOT in direct sunlight, white roofing, shaded by a tree. It's actually hotter than that, but the needle is against the peg.

Holy smokes Bill, that puppy is pegged! :eek:

Ugghhhh….

I've always heard "but it's a dry heat", but geez, I don't even cook my steaks that hot...about 115 or so ....:p

Last edited:

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Geo, it***8217;s a Goodman system.
Gas or electric furnace ? How old is the unit because in last 10 years these no longer use PSC motors but a full variable speed (ECM) or an X13 motor that soft starts then speeds up to save energy but that's a laugh cause what I used to get to replace these when out of warranty would buy a lot of electricity for a PSC. control board or bad motor, if the motor it will die. Check tstat wire terminals for tightness at unit & tstat
If it's in a closet over a basement or 1st floor may be a pan & float switch under platform. I went on a call once that I found the filter in a wall frame so dirty when blower came on the air was pulling the switch open.

Last edited: