Any Beekeepers here?

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Well I've had this fantasy for a few years now of keeping my own bee stocks. I was wanting to talk to some experienced keepers as to understand more, better.
So....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What ya need Brother,,Dad and I had 13 hives at one time,, and it went from being fun to being work,,lol I ll try to help

russbuckey

Equipment
L3400, FEL, Back hoe, landscape rake, back blade, 72" snowblower.
Nov 21, 2010
burlington Vt.
Tim,
Some time back i wanted to try keeping bees and was talked out of it because of the time, work, etc... wanted to do it. few years later, went to the feed store, found a mentor...failed some.. but best move i made , sorry i waited so long !

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Well I've had this fantasy for a few years now of keeping my own bee stocks. I was wanting to talk to some experienced keepers as to understand more, better.
So....
Hi I have kept bees for 30 years,how many hives were you thinking of and do you just want honey for yourself,pollenation of crops ect?
dave

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I've had the notion for several years that I would like to keep a hive. I dont really want more than that, its just for myself. also it would be called the term they're using now as urban beekeeping. I live in a small town of 2K at most.

I guess i'm wondering if its worth the trouble to maintain only 1 hive and I'm not sure what else to ask. It's just something i've wanted to do for 5=6 yrs now.

russbuckey

Equipment
L3400, FEL, Back hoe, landscape rake, back blade, 72" snowblower.
Nov 21, 2010
burlington Vt.
Go for it! UVM (University of Vermont) has an extension service with info. Look up the video "A year in the life of an apiary " it gives a basic overview. Bees are cool,you will really enjoy them.
Ask around, find a mentor, beekeepers love to talk bees.

Jim-Iowa

Oct 14, 2011
Newton,Iowa
I did it for a few years , then moved and had no place to keep them and got out. Now that I'm back on an acreage, I plan to get back in next spring.
Still have some equipment stored.
Like you I got into it on a whim and found it one my more rewarding endeavors.

You have gotten good advice! Finding a mentor is one big step towards success. Most states have a State Apiarian, who can put you in touch with the Bee Keeping association in your state. He also can probably provide you with information and literature.
Most are very willing to share and advise you. Don't hesitate to attend a few meetings, they are going to be up on what's going on in your area and can help prevent mistakes.
Go to the local library and find all the books on the subject that you can.
Just because a book was written in 1940, does not mean you won't find a few Gems in it.

The guy who mentored me, reccomended I start with two hives.
That gives you the ability to compare how your practices are working and does not leave you out in the cold if one should collapse. I found 2 hives were perfect, that worked out to about 1 hr work per week. Though I have to admit, I kept a folding chair by the fence and would often go down and sit about 30 ft from the hives and just watch the comings and goings. It kept me mellow.

This can be either a Facinating and rewarding hobby or as mentioned above can evolve into a lot of work. Only you can manage that.

While I have 9 acres and could run a lot of hives(incidently I planted White Dutch Clover with the bees in mind) I would not let my commitment get over 6 hives. I want to do it as a hobby, not a vocation.
Research it in depth and enjoy!

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
All good coments. We started out with 1 hive dad built I forget where we got the nuke from a very quiet Russian queen and from there it grew. We split several hives and lil bro sold most of the honey where he worked. We built a 2 frame extractor out of a beer barrel and enjoyed every minuet of it.. My girls would go down to the hives at Dads and sit and watch them for a long time and throw rocks at the birds that would come in to pck off the bes as they landed. There is a guy in town that has 2 hives,, IN TOWN,, he has them set on the roof of his porch, its a head turner when hes all suited up onthe roof working them,,lol,, And like said hit Agways or a local feed mill they can hook you up, and the agracultural extention is a great help too,, also check the local paper, and yellow pages for bee keepers.
My hives were lost this year by a racoone or some criter ( I dont live in bear country). It maybe a little late to get anothe nuke but Im thinkin reallly hard about it,,, maybe I'll look for a swarm later in the year

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
Sorry for the delay getting back to the thread, I.ve been riding a hospital bed a few days. I seem to like to do things differently.I was considering building top bar hives to kind of camo the hives as I want to keep them in town as well. As far as a nuc, I would really like a wild collected swarm, I said I like doing things differently. I really get cranked by doing things cheaper, better, and more efficiently than someone who can throw mega-bucks at a situation. I could too, but wouldn't mean anything then.

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sorry for the delay getting back to the thread, I.ve been riding a hospital bed a few days.
What the duce did you do now,,, cant leave you alone for a minuet,,lol,,,
If your going to do it in town remember the higher they are the better,,, reason being bees fly out and not up right away,, so when they are up high in a conjusted area they go out high and are not bumping into any one thats ,,,ahhhhhuummmm,,,, going to get a bee in their bonnet over it,,,lol,,, Im so punny some times

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
<<<going to get a bee in their bonnet over it,,,lol,,, Im so punny some times>>>

Haha, yes you are!

Oh, pneumonia snook up on me again. No symptoms for a week then, BOOM! the infection was pressing in a nerve mimicking chest pain from a heart problem. same pain just wasnt the heart. some say I dont have one is why!!

The area I have planned it would be sheltered somewhat but opens to a large empty lot. I believe it would work. whats the chances of collecting a wild swarm? No cash to buy a nuc right now.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
<<<going to get a bee in their bonnet over it,,,lol,,, Im so punny some times>>>

Haha, yes you are!

Oh, pneumonia snook up on me again. No symptoms for a week then, BOOM! the infection was pressing in a nerve mimicking chest pain from a heart problem. same pain just wasnt the heart. some say I dont have one is why!!

The area I have planned it would be sheltered somewhat but opens to a large empty lot. I believe it would work. whats the chances of collecting a wild swarm? No cash to buy a nuc right now.
The best way I have found to hijack a wild swarm is to put out a hive that has old drawn comb and has been sterilised with acetic acid fumes.
There may be something about the smell of the acid that they prefer cos it seems to attract them better.
From a hive hygiene point,its better to sterilise anyway.
Dave

South

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 22, 2011
ohio
Yep, I have had hives for going on 13 years now. Had up to 3 hives, but found that 2 seems to be ideal for me. Just robbed honey a few weeks ago (I like to take any that is left over from winter to make room for the spring flow). They are amazing little creatures and a blast to have around. Be glad to help answer any questions.

Jim-Iowa

Oct 14, 2011
Newton,Iowa
The guy that got me started had a hive in his garage with an entry port through the wall, in an older part of town where the homes were very close together. He put an 8 ft wooden fence aroud the back of his garage to train the bees to fly up and out of the enclosure. His neighbors never knew it was there. He kept that one for observation and ran 30 hives around the county.

Kytim

Equipment
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
I thought about using my outbuilding/barn that way. But didn't know how my beating and banging on something I was working on would work out.