Anti-Freeze for a BX

fishinroc25

Equipment
Kubota BX1830 w/loader, custom front plow, 3-pt trailer hitch, Carry All
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
I have a BX series and decided it is time to do a antifreeze / coolant flush and replace with fresh antifreeze. When I bought the tractor, the Kubota dealer said they changed ALL the fluids, which I later learned they did not actually do “all”... So not trusting the situation, I have decided to flush it out so it’s all ready for the upcoming summer mowing & yard work season! I have searched around other threads on OTT and have found a few recommendations for the specific antifreeze to use in these tractors (Zerex G05). When speaking with the dealer they say “anything green for antifreeze” or the Kubota version is $30/gal. What are you thoughts today on what antifreeze to use in my little BX? Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anthonyv

Equipment
BX24 BX2200
Jan 24, 2017
SC
I have always used Fleet Charge SCA Precharged Fully Formulated Antifreeze & Coolant from TSC. Label says formulated for diesels.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Kubota diesels do not require specially formulated antifreeze for diesels.

That is required when you have a wet liners, Kubota's have dry liners with no cavitation / erosion issues caused by the antifreeze.

So any good general antifreeze works without spending the stupid money that the specialty mixes cost. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I only buy antifreeze made for all makes and models. Not brand specific though. Just what evers on sale at the time. The reason is you can use it in pretty much anything. So it's a one stop jug for the truck, jeep, or tractor :D

Same for my shop, but at the shop we have some brands of equipment that have wet liners. But the one stop jug still applies for the fleet :D

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY
Thanks everyone. I was able to locate the Zerex G-05 ($21/gal concentrate) and can pick it up tomorrow from my local Advance Autoparts. It would be nice to use a less expensive product, but concerned about longevity. It’s definitely not a maintenance item that is thought of ever...

I appreciate all the feedback!! Now I need to flush the system before putting in the new antifreeze [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You guys in the market for anti-freeze should check with a local fuel / oil supplier and see what all they sell. I'm finding out mine sells a lot more than just fuel and bulk oil. I bought a 6 gallon case of ELC coolant yesterday for $40. I've not found it that cheap anywhere else.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You guys in the market for anti-freeze should check with a local fuel / oil supplier and see what all they sell. I'm finding out mine sells a lot more than just fuel and bulk oil. I bought a 6 gallon case of ELC coolant yesterday for $40. I've not found it that cheap anywhere else.
Most will supply by the barrel also.

fishinroc25

Equipment
Apr 20, 2017
Rochester, NY

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
wanted to add to this thread.
changed the coolant on the BX today. Coolant was original, 12 years old.

2 QT came out of the radiator + overflow tank, and about 1 quart out of the block, 3 qt total.

It has been slowly pulling a little at a time from the overflow tank since the change. Based on whats left after the fresh gallon I still have a little more air in there, seems to be short about a pint.

Last edited: