Another post about the old perkins t6.354.4

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I posted about this engine many times before due to it's buring oil and wanting to spray oil out the dipstick. Part of that was the starters on these are terrible outdoors and this is an irrigation pump... so before we got it the dipstick had been broken off and repaired which I assumed it was done correctly. I had a scope cam inside the pan looking around and found the dipstick was a fair bit short of it's old rub mark on the inside. Never thought I could get to the dipstick area but I did by accident... but anyways the engine was severely overfilled with oil due to this. So that solved the crankcase pressure and crank oil throw issue but it still burns oil which we determined was from when we installed the pump we forgot to remove an old bearing and forced the crank forward and also started it. So it's likely there is a tiny bit of scoring on the one side of each cylinder wall. It burns basically no oil blow 2100 rpm or so, but the scoring was not enough to reduce engine power so it may have only happened in 1 cylinder... probably the rear one. Anyways that's just a history on this topic..

So now on to the real question, this engine was originally turbocharged before we got it as it's stamped as being a factory turbocharged unit. But was converted to naturally aspirated, this is fine except that it is still setup different than a standard naturally aspirated and if I'm moving alot of water and theres not alot of resistance to need high rpm it can actually make the stack and manifold start glowing at 2000-2100rpm. Still has the fuel input as if it had a turbo but...no turbo for the extra air is my theory. This glowing happened once and obviously I never let it happen again. Ironically as the rpm was not too high even this heavy load did not burn oil.... seems to be an rpm thing.

Why would someone convert an engine from turbocharged to not???? Side note this post is alot of story and rambling but anywaysss

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Maybe it was a parts engine that had the turbo pulled and someone put it back together with what was left over. Turbo could have lost a bearing so they pulled it instead of fixing it. Could have busted a manifold and found a natural aspirated one. I have an uncle who thought that turbos were less efficient until he borrowed our 1086.