Another newbi ?

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
I have this new to me L35. I have ordered an operators manual which will not be here for a week or so.
I am trying to figure out the start proceedure. What I am doing now is to turn the key switch to the on position (the dash glow plug light is not on), waiting about 1 minute till the light comes on and I hear a click from the dash, then start the engine.

Sometimes when I am operating the glow plug light is on, sometimes not. Sometimes I hear the click, sometimes not. Seems somewhat eratic to me.

Will someone please run me through the proper start proceedure and the action of the light (when should it be on, when off).

best regards

db

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I haven't fooled with a L 35 but I can tell you what I do on my tractors. After the walk-a-round all I do is hit the key and they fire up. I don't use the glow plugs unless it's real cold. I have always been told that the less you use them the longer they will last. I am just guessing but I can't see why yours would require glow plugs when it is warm. I remember one time this winter when my L 3000 cranked and it was only 14 degrees. It didn't require the glow plugs even at that temp. Maybe this will help.

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
I haven't fooled with a L 35 but I can tell you what I do on my tractors. After the walk-a-round all I do is hit the key and they fire up. I don't use the glow plugs unless it's real cold. I have always been told that the less you use them the longer they will last. I am just guessing but I can't see why yours would require glow plugs when it is warm. I remember one time this winter when my L 3000 cranked and it was only 14 degrees. It didn't require the glow plugs even at that temp. Maybe this will help.
Thanks Bulldog that is a help. It tends to get pretty cold here but you would not know it from the weather lately.

I am still concerned with the action of the light. Even when the tractor has been running a while, sometimes the light is on. Sometimes it is on as soon as I turn on the key switch and other times it comes on after about a minute.

best regards

db

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I just now looked to see where you are from. No doubt it gets real cold there. It seems to me that nobody on this site is interested in the benefits of synthetic oil but it may interest you if you are using your tractor in the cold much. I use Amsoil synthetic oil in every thing I own. One of the benefits that might interest you is the fact that their HDD 5w30 diesel oil will flow all the way down to -60 degrees. I would love to see the rotella fans be able to say that.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Welcome misterb!!!!

Congrats on the orange tractor. :D :D

I have seen systems that will cycle the plugs based on temps but I don't know if your is equiped that way or not. The owners manual will hopefuly explain how those function so you know if it is erratic or not.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
My glowplug system was also acting crazy, somewhat like you described. I posted a thread several months ago on the issue. I don't have time to find it, but to make a long story short, it is the glowplug controller that was bad. I by-passed the controller by hooking a push-button switch to the ground wire that comes off the relay. I would then use the push-button in cold weather which isn't too often here in the Ft. Worth area. I can tell you that on mine, when the glowplug light is on, so are the glowplugs. When the light is off, they are too. A new controller is in the $80 to $90 range. Hope this helps.

misterb

Equipment
L 35 TLB
Mar 22, 2010
Powassan, Ontario
it is the glowplug controller that was bad. I by-passed the controller by hooking a push-button switch to the ground wire that comes off the relay. I can tell you that on mine, when the glowplug light is on, so are the glowplugs. When the light is off, they are too. A new controller is in the $80 to $90 range. Hope this helps.
I think mine is about the same. Always seems to be doing something a little different. The light is on quite often after the tractor is running. I am concerned that I am using up the glow plugs. Where is that controller, under the dash?

regards

db

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
The glowplug controller is on the right side of (under) the dash as you are sitting on the seat. Mine is black and is the larger of the two, that is the glowplug relay and controller. I unplugged the wire that goes from the glowplug relay to the glowplugs, that way the glowplugs weren't energized when they didn't need to be. I won't need the glowplugs till next winter, if at all then. But I still intend to put a new controller in at some point.