another hydraulic control for a snow blower chute question for a BX5450

WoodCarver75

Equipment
BX-25D, Bucket, Backhoe, tiller, snowbblower
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
Just a little background information. I always think I can do it for cheaper than a off the shelve solution and to top it off, i have no knowledge or experience with hydraulics... With that said I will ask my question.

I purchase a hydraulic motor

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Brand Dynamic
  • Model BMM-20-U-B-U
  • Family BMM Series
  • Displacement 1.21 cu. in. / rev.
  • Motor Type Rototorc
  • Rotation Reversible
  • Pressure:
    1450 PSI cont.
    2030 PSI int.
  • Torque:
    221 in-lbs. cont.
    310 in-lbs. int.
  • Speed:
    1000 RPM cont.
    1250 RPM int.
  • Flow:
    5.28 GPM cont.
    6.6 GPM int.
It mounts up great! I added hoses and attached it to my loader quick disconnects ports. The motor is only turning in one direction. if i change quick disconnects ports it will change direction.

What have i done wrong? is this not the right motor to use? Do i need to do something like purge the hydraulic lines?

1637426554077.png

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Just a little background information. I always think I can do it for cheaper than a off the shelve solution and to top it off, i have no knowledge or experience with hydraulics... With that said I will ask my question.

I purchase a hydraulic motor

SPECIFICATIONS
  • Brand Dynamic
  • Model BMM-20-U-B-U
  • Family BMM Series
  • Displacement 1.21 cu. in. / rev.
  • Motor Type Rototorc
  • Rotation Reversible
  • Pressure:
    1450 PSI cont.
    2030 PSI int.
  • Torque:
    221 in-lbs. cont.
    310 in-lbs. int.
  • Speed:
    1000 RPM cont.
    1250 RPM int.
  • Flow:
    5.28 GPM cont.
    6.6 GPM int.
It mounts up great! I added hoses and attached it to my loader quick disconnects ports. The motor is only turning in one direction. if i change quick disconnects ports it will change direction.

What have i done wrong? is this not the right motor to use? Do i need to do something like purge the hydraulic lines?

View attachment 70074
I would say the spool on your loader is not suitable for controlling a hydraulic motor. Probably the bucket spool?????

Dan

WoodCarver75

Equipment
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
I have no idea what that is or what it means. I really know nothing about hydraulics. I assumed the bucket of the loader will lift heavy items both up an down directions so i figured it would work

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have no idea what that is or what it means. I really know nothing about hydraulics. I assumed the bucket of the loader will lift heavy items both up an down directions so i figured it would work
Motors and cylinders are different animals. Its a low speed reversible motor so a vanilla directional control valve for double acting cylinders should do what you want. The bucket spool in loader valves is not always "vanilla". Try using the outlets for the loader lift and see if that changes the behavior.

Dan

WoodCarver75

Equipment
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
Your right, using the up/down ports work it just fine. what does that mean and is there anything i can do to make it work with the curl functions?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Your right, using the up/down ports work it just fine. What does that mean and is there anything i can do to make it work with the curl functions?
I think you are out of luck. The bucket spool is not going to give you bidirectional control of the motor. Easy fix would be to stick a cheap single spool valve on the loader post and use that to control the chute motor. Plumb that valve into the power beyond coming off the loader valve.

WoodCarver75

Equipment
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
SO with that should I be able to use the curling up/down of the bucket to lift the showblower and use the lifting up/down of the loader to control the chute rotation? the controls would be backwards.

WoodCarver75

Equipment
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
I think you are out of luck. The bucket spool is not going to give you bidirectional control of the motor. Easy fix would be to stick a cheap single spool valve on the loader post and use that to control the chute motor. Plumb that valve into the power beyond coming off the loader valve.
where would you suggest i find one of those? and should it be a 2way?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
SO with that should I be able to use the curling up/down of the bucket to lift the showblower and use the lifting up/down of the loader to control the chute rotation? the controls would be backwards.
I think so. I take it the snow blower has its own lift cylinder? That is probably single acting so I am struggling to wrap my head around the flow.

Dan

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Are you absolutely sure you are pushing the control stick far enough? You have it push it past the detent when going to the right. Had the same issue when I first installed snowblower and tried to rotate chute.

Reactions: 1 user

WoodCarver75

Equipment
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
Are you absolutely sure you are pushing the control stick far enough? You have it push it past the detent when going to the right. Had the same issue when I first installed snowblower and tried to rotate chute.
was that on a BX25D ? I don't think this has that feature but i will look

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
was that on a BX25D ? I don't think this has that feature but i will look
I don't know why there would be a detent but I don't think that is the problem. Lets get geeky. In all likelyhood your loader valve has a feature called regeneration on the bucket dump function.

This feature redirects the oil that would normally be going back to the tank into the oil coming from the pump and going into the base end of the cylinder. This is done to speed up the extension of the rod. and only works because the piston area of the rod end is less than the piston area of the base end. Consequently there is a differential force generated that pushes the rod out. The weight of the bucket and any material in it is being pulled by gravity and adds to that force allowing the cylinder to extend and the bucket to tip down and dump.

Now lets substitute a bi-directional motor for the cylinder. In this scenario the regeneration circuit is connecting the inlet port on the motor to the outlet port on the motor. The result is equal hydraulic pressure on both sides of the motor and there is is no area difference to generate a differential force to spin the shaft. Additionally the shaft load is a not working with gravity and is adding to the stall load. Motor can not spin shaft.

Dan

Last edited:

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
In looking at your picture I think you need to change where the hoses are hooked to. Either 1st 2 or last 2 not middle 2.

Reactions: 1 user

WoodCarver75

Equipment
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
Hi again, I never did get around to buying the cheap control valve. If i do get one how would I attach it? Would i need to tie into the hydraulic line before the original control arm or would i tie in with the given four ports. If that was the case how would i activate it? would i need to control both arms at the same time? I am very lost.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hi again, I never did get around to buying the cheap control valve. If i do get one how would I attach it? Would i need to tie into the hydraulic line before the original control arm or would i tie in with the given four ports. If that was the case how would i activate it? would i need to control both arms at the same time? I am very lost.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
The new valve is plumbed in after the loader valve:
  1. Disconnect power beyond hose at power beyond port on loader valve.
  2. Using a new hose connect loader power beyond port to IN on new valve.
  3. Connect power beyond hose disconnected in (1) to power beyond port on new valve.
  4. Install tee in loader tank return hose.
  5. Connect tank return port on new valve to tee installed in (4).
Your new valve is independent of loader valve. Using two new hoses connect the two work ports on new valve to your snow blower cylinders and you are good to go. The lever on the new valve controls blower cylinders.

Dan