Another box scraper build

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
So here is my box scraper. Made from drops and leftovers from other projects. IMG_2735.jpg first stage.3/16" x12x24 long for ends and 48" wide.
Upside down at this point. IMG_2737.jpg
Pipes welded in and square tube for mounting three point to. Nuts welded to square so i can offset it to either side. IMG_2740.jpg
Three point bits attatched. Will add some straps to tighten it up some. Grader cutting edges tomorrow and ordering tines on monday unless i find something suitable tomorrow. So far zero dollars and four hours.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Tried cutting grader blade. Walter Zipcut. Made quick work of it. IMG_2741.jpg

Think i need to change the air in the shop.....

Opinions, mount blade even with bottom edge of box?
Or lower 1/2"? I havent seen the bottom side of one yet.
Mounting will be bolts welded to back plate, and nuts to hold cutting edge on.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You do know I hate you very much, buddy ,,;) Looks like shes going to be a good build !!!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Like the ability to offset. Sure you don't need more than clamping force to keep it located? Also, wonder about side forces it puts thru your 3pt when offset. Not so sure how aggressive side forces you might can get away with when offset a lot. Guess it matters your tractor. You probably no ton more about this than I do though.

IMHO build into it a rear flap that allows you adjust how full the box has to be before it spills over the rear. A flap like that can open or be removed would give you more of a Land Planer potential when open. Box potential when shut. Two implements in one Fabrication job is a win win.

For ideas on that start at post 11 in below thread

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20778&page=2

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
I remember the flap idea now. I dont really plan on running the box full of material. The little tractor would just break loose and make trenches.
I did the offset for more finishing work so side load shouldnt be all too much, and again with my L1501 too heavy and it will likely spin out before i hurt anything.as far as clamping force, i have used this method on many applications from docks to boat ramps and decks. 1/2"seems to grab quite well. If it slips i will machine a point onto the tip.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your top link mounting location should be at the same forward location as the lower links or the box will not react properly. ;)

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Your top link mounting location should be at the same forward location as the lower links or the box will not react properly. ;)
Aww, crap.
a bracket similar to my 3 point mower will be easy to flange up. Its less than 4 inches. Guess it needs to be solid or it will also react improperly.

Rosher18

Equipment
L185DT (1977)
Aug 2, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Hey Tooljunkie, did you want a picture of the underside of my box blade to figure out your cutting edge location?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
TJ, looks like a nice build!

How long did it take to cut the maintainer blade in two? How long will the zipcut wheel last if you had several cuts to make?

I'm considering a project like this, and have not decided if I should hire out the cutting of the blades, or try myself.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Cutting with the zip cut i made 2 cuts so i could get hole spacing even. Barely burned off any disc. Guessing 4 maybe 5 cuts before i would need to change disc. IMG_2743.jpg
Brackets to hold ripper. Plate and a long bolt for adjustment.
IMG_2745.jpg a view across front,wanted rippers just in front of box.when i tilt front down it should dig. IMG_2746.jpg the ripper itself. Its starting to put some weight on now. To remove ripper i will just drop it out the bottom.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Frank as always you never stop impressing me. You guys that do this stuff, are,,, well just magic to me

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Was a long day. But hooked it up and went for a drive. Tines arent sharp enought to cut through the ice, but where gravel is thawed i can bury them and keep going.flipped a big stone out too. So im very happy with the results. Will take a couple pitures in the daylight.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 13, 2014
Was a long day. But hooked it up and went for a drive. Tines arent sharp enought to cut through the ice, but where gravel is thawed i can bury them and keep going.flipped a big stone out too. So im very happy with the results. Will take a couple pitures in the daylight.
Forgot to take pictures, but i ran that scraper around breaking up the melting snow and got some water moving. Cranked the one side down and cut a ditch for water to flow. Worked very well. Cant wait until snow is gone, will be cutting a ditch the entire length of driveway to improve drainage. Had i known it would work so well i would have done this long ago.