And now for something completely different...

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
The fellow that rents the barn on the property behind mine is a building contractor. I may have mentioned him before, I call him Dale the Builder.

He's all over the area on all sorts of jobs from roofing to ground-up new construction. He finds all sorts of interesting things in his travels. One day he dragged the remnants of an ultralight to me and asked me to get the engine running. That was fun, and the look on my wife's face when she saw it was priceless.

A week or so ago, he mentioned that the derelict sailboat that has sat on another of his properties for years was becoming an eyesore and he wanted to scrap it, but wanted to save the little engine in it. Yesterday, he informed me he had the engine/transmission/shaft/prop assembly out of it and wanted me to see if I could get IT running.

I went and fetched it and the associated paraphernalia attached to it. It's a Yanmar Marine one-lunger diesel, 8HP, sea water cooled.

I spent the day cleaning it up, changed the oil and filter, purged the fuel system with fresh fuel and a new filter and pulled the starter off to make sure it was free. At this point, I see no reason it won't run. Just need to build a stand to mount it to and then I'll grab a battery out of one of the tractors and give it a whirl.

Don't know that he'll actually USE it for anything (the ultralight sits under a tarp since I got it running), but he pays me for my time to check them out and it's usually something somewhat unusual and interesting.

Reactions: 7 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I've always thought it would be fun to build a small motor launch around an engine like that!! That should be your next project, PHPaul. All in favor......say Aye!!! 😄

Last edited:

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I met a Irish guy in the Florida keys that sailed all the way from Ireland to Canada then down the coast to Florida in a 26 foot sail boat with his wife and his boat had a single cylinder yanmar like that. took him almost 40 days mostly by wind..

he was to say nicely a bit out there.. had been sailing for 30 years..

he was buying a daralect 16 foot sail boat from me because he was living on a uninhabited island in the keys for about a year and needed a sail boat with a retractable keel because in alot of places the water is less then 2 feet deep..

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I've always thought it would be fun to build a small motor launch around an engine like that!! That should be your next project, PHPaul. All in favor......say Aye!!! 😄

I'm not a boat guy (which is darned near a hanging offense in a fishing village like I live in...) but I had the same thought. If that was my motor, I'd have to find a nice wooden dory to put it in and putt around the harbor with it.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com

I trimmed a little too much off the front of the video, but once I got it bled it starts right up and settles down to a nice thumpy idle.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yanmar builds excellent diesels. JD has used them for decades in their compact tractors.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Like the stone simple seawater return in the exhaust pipe too. Think I'd be finding an old Jon boat or something and building a powered mini launch.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Like the stone simple seawater return in the exhaust pipe too. Think I'd be finding an old Jon boat or something and building a powered mini launch.
I'm the furthest thing from a "boat guy" you're ever likely to meet, but even I think a nice old wooden dory or peapod with that stinkpot in it would be a lot of fun.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota

I'm not a boat guy (which is darned near a hanging offense in a fishing village like I live in...) but I had the same thought. If that was my motor, I'd have to find a nice wooden dory to put it in and putt around the harbor with it.
My same thoughts exactly! I'd come out and help you build it! :) A trip to Mystic Seaport Museum in Mystic Connecticut would certainly provide the model and plans along with the inspiration. What a fantastic seaside museum for old boat lovers.

I too bought a 750 JD new in '85 and it still purrs like new. But it developed troubles with the front driveshaft two years ago and I haven't taken the time to hunt down parts to fix it. The B2650 took it's place. If I can't locate parts to fix and it gets parted out.....that Yanmar engine stays and just may find its way into a wooden boat.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I want to see a video of it putting along actually...

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
It didn't show up in Reply #5 to me, but this one works. Thanks and I really like that engine. No use for it, but I still like it. (y) (y)